British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   One night in Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/one-night-doha-834272/)

NorthernLad May 19th 2014 4:26 pm

One night in Doha

I'm flying solo tomorrow in Doha and looking for a normal bar.

No hookers or pretentious twats.

I've not been here in years, any suggestions?

martinbkk May 19th 2014 5:02 pm

Re: One night in Doha

You used Doha and normal in the same sentence without a negative!

Champions maybe? Hooker level seems to be down in the weeds, not sure how it's considered on the pretentious scale but it always seems fine to me. I'm usually there with a pal or to watch the sport and sup a pint. A bit chrome and blue light.

Everywhere else I've been, admittedly not so many places, seems to hit the stops on either one or other of your negatives. Whilst I could say a bar full of hookers might serve a useful purpose on occasion I'd agree that pretentious twats are always a pain.

britexpat76 May 19th 2014 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11266668)
I'm flying solo tomorrow in Doha and looking for a normal bar.

No hookers or pretentious twats.

I've not been here in years, any suggestions?

You here all night? Where you staying?

co durham boy May 20th 2014 4:02 am

Champions is ok to be honest , fits the bill .

co durham boy May 20th 2014 4:03 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11266939)

Have you been to the Rose & Thistle yet , it's the lads from Garvey's new place ?

Autonomy May 20th 2014 5:36 am

When I've been in Doha on my own for a night I thought Champions was fine for a couple and was a walk away from my hotel...

Only other place I can think of is Belgian Cafe but it was a bit rammed...

britexpat76 May 20th 2014 8:22 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11267402)
Have you been to the Rose & Thistle yet , it's the lads from Garvey's new place ?

I haven't and its 5 minutes from work so keep meaning to go. I have heard good things about it though. You been?

co durham boy May 20th 2014 9:43 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11267608)
I haven't and its 5 minutes from work so keep meaning to go. I have heard good things about it though. You been?

Not yet but i've heard it's ok and the grubs pretty decent , was going to check it out before the Holy Month decends !!!!

NorthernLad May 20th 2014 11:37 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11266939)

Staying in W hotel...this place has changed a lot since I was last here.

britexpat76 May 20th 2014 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11267807)
Staying in W hotel...this place has changed a lot since I was last here.

Best bar in there is Wahm, like others have said probably better to head to Champions in Marriott just next to city centre mall or if you want a cab go to Admirals in the ritz carlton. Remember to take your passport with you!

britexpat76 May 20th 2014 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11267693)
Not yet but i've heard it's ok and the grubs pretty decent , was going to check it out before the Holy Month decends !!!!

Fancy an after work one night?

martinbkk May 20th 2014 5:30 pm

I'm at the Rose and Thistle now, cool place, best yet in Doha for a quiet pint and relax, darts, big screens, nothing in yer face. All new nice decor, more wood, less chrome. Separate smoking area, grub. Does it get better?

Nice one

Horizon Manor, second floor.

NorthernLad May 20th 2014 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 11268437)
I'm at the Rose and Thistle now, cool place, best yet in Doha for a quiet pint and relax, darts, big screens, nothing in yer face. All new nice decor, more wood, less chrome. Separate smoking area, grub. Does it get better?

Nice one

Horizon Manor, second floor.

I've stuck with bar in W Hotel, easier to crawl to bed.

martinbkk May 20th 2014 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11268485)
I've stuck with bar in W Hotel, easier to crawl to bed.

That makes a lot of sense, consider all outcomes before making a choice :D But don't bars at the W violate the pretentious twat requirement?

The Rose and Thistle, aka The Rat! Is a good after work early evening place from what I saw tonight. Anyone familiar with Krossroads at Horizon Manor might be surprised at how spacious The Rat feels, not to mention how much cleaner and devoid of the Chinese overnight cleaners :). There is a small stage area so I guess they could host a band if need be but the pub vibe seems fine for a weekday night.

britexpat76 May 20th 2014 7:08 pm

**** it. I am there tomorrow really fancy a proper pint and pub. See anyone at half 8.