Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

One of my true pet hates in Dubai is being addressed!!

One of my true pet hates in Dubai is being addressed!!

Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:51 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One of my true pet hates in Dubai is being addressed!!

I can't be the only one who can believe that back then....the Brits beat someone up and then said they were at fault in the first place?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:44 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Essentially yes, history is generally recorded by the victor. They embellish and over exaggerate their victories while the loser under estimates their loses and tries to state things weren't as bad as they were....

For historical accounts if you go somewhere with the middle ground you're probably about right.
Which is why you look for evidence and research and analysis to support a point of view. I'm totally open to the idea of RAK having been a bed of backward pirates but the evidence suggests that isn't an accurate characterisation.

And interestingly, every time I have heard this more nuanced analysis articulated, it has been presented as exactly that: a contestable conclusion drawn from the evidence rather than an incontrovertible truth. Whereas I get the impression that there is a "theological" desire on the part of some adherents to the pirate case to have their view validated regardless of the evidence.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope View Post
Which is why you look for evidence and research and analysis to support a point of view. I'm totally open to the idea of RAK having been a bed of backward pirates but the evidence suggests that isn't an accurate characterisation.

And interestingly, every time I have heard this more nuanced analysis articulated, it has been presented as exactly that: a contestable conclusion drawn from the evidence rather than an incontrovertible truth. Whereas I get the impression that there is a "theological" desire on the part of some adherents to the pirate case to have their view validated regardless of the evidence.
the evidence put forward by people in the employ of RAK
Old Mar 6th 2017, 1:45 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen View Post
the evidence put forward by people in the employ of RAK
Evidence is evidence, not opinion and it's fairly compelling in this case. But choose to believe what you wish.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Evidence is evidence, not opinion and it's fairly compelling in this case. But choose to believe what you wish.
Evidence is evidence, also not fact. There is also plenty of compelling evidence to show that they were very much active as 'pirates'.

the truth is probably somewhere between.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

I'm totally open to the idea of RAK having been a bed of backward pirates .
You been up there recently - it makes the dark side look positively bright.

(Am I allowed to say "dark btw)?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:48 am
...we killed the flame

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing View Post
You been up there recently - it makes the dark side look positively bright.

(Am I allowed to say "dark btw)?
I have been, quite a bit this year as it happens. But what do you mean?