Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

One job, 300 applicants

One job, 300 applicants

Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One job, 300 applicants

Originally Posted by Millhouse
This is the classic stereotype. The beefy skinhead. How true is this, really?
"The Beefy Skinhead"?? You mean that BNP-filled pub near Millwall's stadium........?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

AJMac88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gentlemen,

After reading how cut throat you hiring and firing folk are when skimming through CV's, I was wondering what you look for in those first few seconds that encourages you to read on and not delete it straight away...any pointers would be grand!
Cheers.

Allan
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It may still help to be related to the boss.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Ach well, better get tracing the family tree...see if I've got a 3rd cousin in some far off land that can sort me out!
Allan
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by AJMac88
Gentlemen,

After reading how cut throat you hiring and firing folk are when skimming through CV's, I was wondering what you look for in those first few seconds that encourages you to read on and not delete it straight away...any pointers would be grand!
Cheers.

Allan
Qualifications (and the year graduated)
Who you've worked for
How long
What projects / type of work / experience.

In that order.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp
Qualifications (and the year graduated)
Who you've worked for
How long
What projects / type of work / experience.

In that order.
Thanks, think a re-shuffle of my CV is in order then! So the Personal Profile bit, with the usual 'selling yourself' and how great we all are at everything...is that necessary? Or is straight forward facts and figures the way to go? Also, photo or no photo? I read a thread on here that said it was quite common in the Middle East...
Cheers,
Allan
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by AJMac88
Thanks, think a re-shuffle of my CV is in order then! So the Personal Profile bit, with the usual 'selling yourself' and how great we all are at everything...is that necessary? Or is straight forward facts and figures the way to go? Also, photo or no photo? I read a thread on here that said it was quite common in the Middle East...
Cheers,
Allan
I've never read that shit about anyone, but I've got it on my CV...just in case someone does read it.

I say the same to everyone; make it clear, easy to understand and read and don't listen to what everyone tells you about CVs. The whole world is an expert because they've all got one and like their own, but at least half are ****ing horrific.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Hobbies eh? What are the giveaways?
An interest in musical theatre.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
Uh.Oh.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

I'm guessing there'd also be a Berlin Wall between "Volunteering in the community" and "Community activism" (Because of the dreaded "a" word)
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:19 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
That's a relatively small subset. I hate musical theatre (even more than I hate theatre in general) as do most of my, um, family friends. Though that might be because we're too busy knocking back pints down the Beefy Skinhead acting ultra-butch, spitting in the sawdust, playing aggressive pool/darts and scratching our arses while belching...(to Kylie music).
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

That's a relatively small subset. I hate musical theatre (even more than I hate theatre in general) as do most of my, um, family friends. Though that might be because we're too busy knocking back pints down the Beefy Skinhead acting ultra-butch, spitting in the sawdust, playing aggressive pool/darts and scratching our arses while belching...(to Kylie music).
forgive the (genuine) question here... but in these sort of places, do fights break out?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

The Underground is a gay bar? i thought it was just Liverpool fans.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:43 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

forgive the (genuine) question here... but in these sort of places, do fights break out?
Don't worry I am sure they won't pick on you
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:21 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Mainly when the lesbians are in...

Look, ok, that's enough now. I'm refusing to be drawn into any more random stereotyping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.