British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   One for the gents .. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/one-gents-720485/)

UKCityGent Jun 11th 2011 5:35 am

One for the gents ..

(Face) Shaving rashes - how do you deal with them

I cant shave every day or every other day due to sensitive skin so usually i have 4 or 5 days growth before i shave.

Ive tried :-
- sensitive razors
- Oil on my face before shaving
- Shower first then shave

I do remember in London that one of the traders had a laser op to remove facial hair so he didnt have to shave - im tempted to investigate that or any other tips

al dente Jun 11th 2011 5:56 am

Re: One for the gents ..

Ladies can answer this too, as we're just as likely to shave sensitive areas!

I can say, from experience, laser is great. HOWEVER, you can't expose the lasered skin to the sun for a while. Speak to Rebecca Treston at Euromed and see what she says. They are pretty great there (i've tried 3 places).

The Dean Jun 11th 2011 6:08 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 9425310)
(Face) Shaving rashes - how do you deal with them

I cant shave every day or every other day due to sensitive skin so usually i have 4 or 5 days growth before i shave.

Ive tried :-
- sensitive razors
- Oil on my face before shaving
- Shower first then shave

I do remember in London that one of the traders had a laser op to remove facial hair so he didnt have to shave - im tempted to investigate that or any other tips

OK...........

Use Gillette's 'sensitive skin' shaving gel (not the foam - I'm serious, there really is a noticeable difference between the two), and Gillette's is better than other brands (Nivea's isn't bad, but they only do foam, not gel).

Yes, always wash/shower the face thoroughly before shaving, then leave it wet and start shaving straight away (i.e. don't dry your face, and then start again).

Use a good quality razor and a new or relatively new blade (I only shave about 20 times before replacing with a new one).

Work up to a lather in a round motion, using your hands (I don't recommend shaving brushes), ensuring that every part of the area to be shaved is fully covered (no gaps, patches or uneven bits).

Only shave downwards - at first, it will feel like there is some very short stubble left, but as you get better at it, you learn to catch all of that. Shaving upwards can remove a fraction too much - it feels delightfully super-smooth, but the hair then starts to regrow under the skin, causing cerbaceous cists, etc.

Let us know how you get on?

typical Jun 11th 2011 7:54 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9425332)
(Nivea's isn't bad, but they only do foam, not gel).

Not true mate, Nivea's Sensitive Shaving Gel is awesome and I'm a total convert. I much prefer it to Gilette now. They had it 2-for-1 in Tesco when I was in the UK a few weeks back and I stocked up...

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/wcssto...ge/2470128.jpg

Also, I found I couldn't shave more than twice without having to throw the blade. That got expensive. I now use a Panasonic wet and dry shaver - one of the ones with the ultra-fast motors - and while they aren't that sturdy, my skin definitely appreciates it more than using a blade.

shiva Jun 11th 2011 8:17 am

Use the above nivea gel
Use disposables and use a max of 6 times, rinse the blade properly after use and make sure it's stored dry.
Shave with the hair growth direction not against it
After many years in the more blades trap I now use gillete disposables with a max three blades but prefer two. So much better on the skin

Top tips I've just found as I also suffer from razor burn are store the blades in mineral oil to prevent rusting and therefore dulling of the blade and use an old pair of jeans as a strop to take the burrs of the blade.

Best of all would be to use an old style cut throat straight razor but good luck finding good steel in the middle east

Can't find mineral oil yet but the jeans thing works

http://lifehacker.com/5356529/extend...-pair-of-jeans

shiva Jun 11th 2011 8:20 am

The other thing I find great is put a steaming hot flannel on your beard for a few minutes before shaving works a treat

norsk Jun 11th 2011 8:21 am

Maybe it's my viking heritage, but I don't like to shave more than once a week. Definitely no more than twice a week and that's usually only if my wife moans at me.

I do a full head shave, ie beard and hair. I've used Nivea gel for years (it's the best there is in my opinion) and nothing beats Gillette Fusion (or whatever the latest version is called). I probably do about 10 shaves before having to change the blade...

Do get some L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Moisturiser SPF15 as well. It's the dogs..

nottmbantam Jun 11th 2011 10:35 am

You great big bunch of poofs. F.cuking man up , will you?

I shave every day, using ice cold water, fresh lime juice and an old rusty razor that was my great grandad's. I 'prepare' , if that's what you gays call it, by giving it a good ole rub down with some wet and dry emery paper.

Girls, the lot of you. Chuck Norris is coming to get you.

Seriously, King of Shaves Oil AND Gel at the same time, regular (weekly ) changes of blade, shave after getting out of the shower, L'Oreal After Shave Rehydrating Balm

Millhouse Jun 11th 2011 10:48 am

Do it in the shower. Hotter the better.

Millhouse Jun 11th 2011 10:50 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9425325)
Ladies can answer this too, as we're just as likely to shave sensitive areas!

I can say, from experience, laser is great. HOWEVER, you can't expose the lasered skin to the sun for a while. Speak to Rebecca Treston at Euromed and see what she says. They are pretty great there (i've tried 3 places).

Can I ask how much this costs?

al dente Jun 11th 2011 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9425633)
Can I ask how much this costs?

You need to have 6-8 treatments. I had a few treatments done, started before last baby so probably needed fewer than if you're starting from scratch.

Anyway, full legs, bikini and underarms was around 10,000k in total, until all gone. Let's say 7 treatments at 1400 roughly and you're being zapped for around an hour and a half. To get same waxed is around 150dh, every 5 weeks. (in Uk to get same waxed in London is around £65).

norsk Jun 11th 2011 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9425770)
You need to have 6-8 treatments. I had a few treatments done, started before last baby so probably needed fewer than if you're starting from scratch.

Anyway, full legs, bikini and underarms was around 10,000k in total, until all gone. Let's say 7 treatments at 1400 roughly and you're being zapped for around an hour and a half. To get same waxed is around 150dh, every 5 weeks. (in Uk to get same waxed in London is around £65).

oof...i've got visions of miss afghanistan now...

(sorry)..

al dente Jun 11th 2011 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9425775)
oof...i've got visions of miss afghanistan now...

(sorry)..

Ha! Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

norsk Jun 11th 2011 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9425812)
Ha! Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

googling miss afghanistan was not as unpleasant as i expected. my whole preconception is based on an email that circulated many years ago.

i can't remember if it was this exact image but it certainly was something similar..

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...L3JGwNMZ0FNzKI

(I didn't add it as a thumbnail as it is not very nice..:blink:)

Nothing personal by the way al dente..

The Dean Jun 12th 2011 2:28 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 9425432)
Not true mate, Nivea's Sensitive Shaving Gel is awesome and I'm a total convert. I much prefer it to Gilette now. They had it 2-for-1 in Tesco when I was in the UK a few weeks back and I stocked up...

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/wcssto...ge/2470128.jpg

Also, I found I couldn't shave more than twice without having to throw the blade. That got expensive. I now use a Panasonic wet and dry shaver - one of the ones with the ultra-fast motors - and while they aren't that sturdy, my skin definitely appreciates it more than using a blade.

I stand corrected - is that Nivea Gel available out here at all (whatever the price)?