Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

One in five Irish homes empty!!!!!!!

One in five Irish homes empty!!!!!!!

Old May 1st 2010, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default One in five Irish homes empty!!!!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8653949.stm

I was speaking to an Irish friend some weeks back about the economy in Ireland and he said this was a real problem.

It is interesing it has now raised it's head nationally and perhaps indeed internationally.

I did hear a guy on the radio today lamenting he had paid 425,000 for his house a while back and now reckoned he would be lucky to get 200K for it.

Sounds as bad if not worse than the Dxb situation?
Old May 1st 2010, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One in five Irish homes empty!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8653949.stm

I was speaking to an Irish friend some weeks back about the economy in Ireland and he said this was a real problem.

It is interesing it has now raised it's head nationally and perhaps indeed internationally.

I did hear a guy on the radio today lamenting he had paid 425,000 for his house a while back and now reckoned he would be lucky to get 200K for it.

Sounds as bad if not worse than the Dxb situation?
\

Just got back from Ireland. Property market is dire, lots or properties are as you said worth less than 50% of what was paid for them. Was in Dublin overnight and still packed, every bar full, westbury hotel full for afternoon tea, and not tourists! My god i dont know how they live there either, so so expensive
Old May 1st 2010, 4:56 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Many must have gone out for the day...there must have been a door-to-door charity or flag day on!?
Old May 1st 2010, 7:25 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

Anyone have any figures/estimates how many empty properties are empty in Dubai? I would think it is similar to Ireland.
Old May 1st 2010, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

fiestyredhead is an unknown quantity at this point

If Dubai is anything like RAK its not just the empty houses but the unfinished ones
Old May 1st 2010, 9:19 pm

EU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud of

Yeah, I watched the video this morning. Crazy, the lady and her fam does not have any neighbours
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Its the governments own fault - they were handing out planning permission to easy to the property developers. I saw this coming back 7 years ago(worked in architects office), but everyone was happy because the money kept on coming.

sadly it will take them years to recover.
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poitin
Its the governments own fault - they were handing out planning permission to easy to the property developers. I saw this coming back 7 years ago(worked in architects office), but everyone was happy because the money kept on coming.

sadly it will take them years to recover.
And now that the EU can't afford to subsidise the Irish economy any longer, you're all DOOMED, I tell you, DOOMED...........
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
And now that the EU can't afford to subsidise the Irish economy any longer, you're all DOOMED, I tell you, DOOMED...........
She's not doomed, she's coming to God's own paradise with me.
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kim67
She's not doomed, she's coming to God's own paradise with me.
Yeah - Can't wait