British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   One Child Policy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/one-child-policy-539014/)

lionheart May 26th 2008 5:00 pm

One Child Policy

I was really glad to see that the Chinese province of Sichuan has declared that for any family where a child has been killed or seriously injured in the recent earthquake, the government will allow you to apply for a certificate entitling you to have another child...such generosity is overwhelming!

The Dean May 26th 2008 5:50 pm

Re: One Child Policy

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6396159)
I was really glad to see that the Chinese province of Sichuan has declared that for any family where a child has been killed or seriously injured in the recent earthquake, the government will allow you to apply for a certificate entitling you to have another child...such generosity is overwhelming!

Yes indeed - a homeless baby for homeless but recently bereaved parents.....

By the way, if the integrity of one of those many big dams in the area has been damaged, you really WILL know the meaning of the word 'disaster' any day now.....

lionheart May 27th 2008 4:33 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6396359)
Yes indeed - a homeless baby for homeless but recently bereaved parents.....

By the way, if the integrity of one of those many big dams in the area has been damaged, you really WILL know the meaning of the word 'disaster' any day now.....

Actually, what I meant to say was that the certificate entitles the bereaved couple to conceive another child...adoption would be too sensible.

shakh your bootie May 27th 2008 10:02 am

TBH, I don't think population control is such a dumb idea.
Yes, I know that it is a limitation of human rights, but unless we start to colonise other planets, nature will enforce population control on us if we refuse to do it voluntarily.....

lionheart May 27th 2008 11:31 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 6399102)
TBH, I don't think population control is such a dumb idea.
Yes, I know that it is a limitation of human rights, but unless we start to colonise other planets, nature will enforce population control on us if we refuse to do it voluntarily.....

If only it was adopted in other countries I could mention.

shiva May 27th 2008 11:35 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6399431)
If only it was adopted in other countries I could mention.

Chinas policy was and is barbaric but hey its worked and they might just be able to feed themselves. however as pointed out other countries with no such controls run a very very high risk of catastrophy