British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   omg... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/omg-606207/)

Madam Medusa Apr 29th 2009 11:50 am

omg...

...i'm getting a puppy on friday...anyone got and advice, i've literally no idea what to do, lol...

i know i need a dog bed, food bowls etc, but what else...and where's the best place to get this stuff...how often do you feed them, etc...

sorry, i know this is a spugsy-esque post, but i'm in a bit of a panic, lmao...

MM, xx

Eva Apr 29th 2009 11:55 am

Re: omg...

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7525855)
...i'm getting a puppy on friday...anyone got and advice, i've literally no idea what to do, lol...
i know i need a dog bed, food bowls etc, but what else...and where's the best place to get this stuff...how often do you feed them, etc...

MM, xx

Leave home?????

It'll be fun really*

Madam Medusa Apr 29th 2009 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7525868)
Leave home?????

It'll be fun really*

it's the puppy's fault, it just looks too damn cute...

MM, xx

seraphnina Apr 29th 2009 12:02 pm

Toooo cute.

I think you need to visit a Pet Store.:wub:

Madam Medusa Apr 29th 2009 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by seraphnina (Post 7525898)
Toooo cute.

I think you need to visit a Pet Store.:wub:

haha, i know, but where is a good one...??

MM, xx

Inselaffen Apr 29th 2009 12:05 pm

hope its not one of those horrible little yappy overgrown rat type of dog!

seraphnina Apr 29th 2009 12:07 pm

There are a number of pet stores in Al Barsha area and I think the vets may sell stuff too.

Spugsy Apr 29th 2009 12:15 pm

MM, xx

heh heh, get in! What a thread!

What sort of puppy?

I've got two kittens I'm going to put on here soon as we are re-housing them, 2 little white 7 week old ones, they are ace.

BorderTart Apr 29th 2009 12:16 pm

MM, xx

Just get basic stuff - a carboard box will do as a bed initially and put newspaper in the bottom and a washable blanket for comfort. I started my pup in a cage immediately to save any possible damage to the kitchen units from sharp teeth. It's not cruel - it may be happy to have a place of safety to go to.

I fed my pup 3 times a day to start with - small amounts of porridge, scrambled eggs and minced meat. Although many people just go straight onto dog food.

Get a lead and collar so it gets used to them right from the start.

Be prepared for a noisy night, but don't give in and go to it or it will earn very quickly that if makes lots of noise that it will get attention.

You can get most of what you need in a supermarket.

Hope this is helpful.

Spugsy Apr 29th 2009 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by BorderTart (Post 7525941)
Just get basic stuff - a carboard box will do as a bed initially and put newspaper in the bottom and a washable blanket for comfort. I started my pup in a cage immediately to save any possible damage to the kitchen units from sharp teeth. It's not cruel - it may be happy to have a place of safety to go to.

I fed my pup 3 times a day to start with - small amounts of porridge, scrambled eggs and minced meat. Although many people just go straight onto dog food.

Get a lead and collar so it gets used to them right from the start.

Be prepared for a noisy night, but don't give in and go to it or it will earn very quickly that if makes lots of noise that it will get attention.

You can get most of what you need in a supermarket.

Hope this is helpful.

what?

You got a dog, put him in a cage and fed hm scrambled eggs?

How very odd.

still.unsure Apr 29th 2009 12:21 pm

if you've got anything like shoes lying around, put them up and away before he/she starts chowing down on them. (they like the smell and need to chew when they're puppies to get rid of their milk teeth)

MataHari Apr 29th 2009 12:25 pm

MM, xx

be firm with it...no matter how cute it is now...one day it won't be a puppy anymore...so no sitting on the couches etc (unless you don't mind all that), sleeping in an allocated place at night right from the start and let him yap yap all through the night, ignore ignore ignore...
the supermarket will have all the basic stuff, and it says on the packets how much to give...make sure there's always water to drink...
give him his own toys as otherwise everything in the house is a potential toy...but keep your shoes locked up just in case, lol...
it's like having an extra child in the house, so you should be fine...

Nic1 Apr 29th 2009 12:31 pm

Apparently most chewing occurs in the first 40 minutes of being alone - then they are knackered and sleep till you come back. So buy some plastic cups, fill them with some water (about a third full) , put in a piece of weiner sausage and put them in the freezer, if helps if a bit of sausage is poking out. :) When you go out give one to the puppy and he/she will spend the next 40 mins chasing it round the floor trying to get at the sausage - then it will be knackered and fall asleep - after a wee and pooh of course.

Post some pics.

N

BorderTart Apr 29th 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7525954)
what?

You got a dog, put him in a cage and fed hm scrambled eggs?

How very odd.

He sleeps in his cage, and loves it. It's open all day for him and he chooses to go in it to sleep and it saves having to throw him off the sofa.

Why not give your puppy scrambled egss? Easy to digest and full of goodness for a growing dog.

But hey, maybe I am odd? I don't give a damn - I have had about 30 dogs over the years and they all got the same treatment and were healthy and well behaved. :p

MataHari Apr 29th 2009 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nic1 (Post 7525989)
Apparently most chewing occurs in the first 40 minutes of being alone - then they are knackered and sleep till you come back. So buy some plastic cups, fill them with some water (about a third full) , put in a piece of weiner sausage and put them in the freezer, if helps if a bit of sausage is poking out. :) When you go out give one to the puppy and he/she will spend the next 40 mins chasing it round the floor trying to get at the sausage - then it will be knackered and fall asleep - after a wee and pooh of course.

Post some pics.

N

feeling sorry for MM's little son already when he walks around the house naked...