Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Oman v Dubai - Sunday Times article

Oman v Dubai - Sunday Times article

Old May 27th 2008, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oman v Dubai - Sunday Times article

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...cle3988274.ece

The writer reckons you never see any women in Oman.......
Old May 28th 2008, 8:13 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oman v Dubai - Sunday Times article

As commented by one of the readers, it's a poorly written article. Do you really see men carrying silver daggers on their belts and no women in the shopping centres of modern Muscat?
Old May 28th 2008, 8:15 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
As commented by one of the readers, it's a poorly written article. Do you really see men carrying silver daggers on their belts and no women in the shopping centres of modern Muscat?
I have only been once but indeed saw a large group of men with said daggers and no women apart from expat/tourist...lol
Old May 28th 2008, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari View Post
I have only been once but indeed saw a large group of men with said daggers and no women apart from expat/tourist...lol
Men carrying daggers in the shopping centres??

No, that's Birmingham.......
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Laura_Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hehe I come from nr Birmingham too

What a load of bollocks about not seeing women. In fact the whole article feels completely out of date to how it is out here in reality.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:58 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...cle3988274.ece

The writer reckons you never see any women in Oman.......
I must remember not to take the Hawaiian shirts on my trip - 'A few westerners hang about on the edges....., Their bright clothes look absurdly out of place, like something Doctor Who brought in.'
Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:39 pm
W10

It's a really patronising and shoddily written orientalist piece.

Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light

Most of the mountain and bedouin people in the south carry the dagger. Women? In the north i saw many on the beaches and in the malls, most wearing the full niqab, so maybe thats what he meant. I do think he used the culture of Oman to portray it as being stuck in the stone age. While in reality Oman has a good infrastructure, and is quite progressive.