Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Ok the dust has settled ..

Ok the dust has settled ..

Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:35 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok the dust has settled ..

Singapore is wonderful... though I hated it while I lived there. I now miss it a lot.

Having lived in a couple of places in Korea, and made completely unsuccessful attempts to learn Korean, I would say it's tough to fit in. Particularly in the smaller towns (I lived in Gumi for a while, what a horrible place). Life is at least easy there, though, in terms of infrastructure and download speeds
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Singapore is wonderful... though I hated it while I lived there. I now miss it a lot.

Having lived in a couple of places in Korea, and made completely unsuccessful attempts to learn Korean, I would say it's tough to fit in. Particularly in the smaller towns (I lived in Gumi for a while, what a horrible place). Life is at least easy there, though, in terms of infrastructure and download speeds

Is Korea really that bad ? does it make a difference if you are single or married in terms of the lifestyle ?

there are some excellent positions available in Korea and it may well be another option
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:46 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

having lived in Okpo, Keoje Island i know where you are coming from.

I didnt move my family there and would not even consider it...
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:51 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banter64
Is Korea really that bad ? does it make a difference if you are single or married in terms of the lifestyle ?

there are some excellent positions available in Korea and it may well be another option
The problem with Korea, such as it is, is that many places just aren't used to having many non-Koreans around. In other places I've lived - Singapore, Dubai, various European cities - it's been easy to find like-minded people (either ex-pats or locals) who've had a similar upbringing. That didn't happen to me much at all in Korea.

I was neither single nor married in Korea, but I will say my report with young children found it a wonderful place. Koreans in general love kids, and will dote on them wherever they can be found.

The singletons found it harder, except the guys with yellow fever of course

In most places in Korea, you'll eat mostly Korean food, drink mostly Korean beer and soju, and enjoy mostly Korean culture. Not that that is a bad thing per se, but it does feel somewhat claustrophobic.

I have to say, though, that if you can find an enclave of ex-pats, it might be very different. I've lived in three cities in Korea, though, and it was a broadly similar experience in all of them.

(I should also say: I'd go back and live there in an instant.)
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:53 am
Not an evil hypnotist

And if I hear meegooksaram! meegooksaram!* one more time....

* American person! American person!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:56 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I was neither single nor married in Korea, but I will say my report with young children found it a wonderful place. Koreans in general love kids, and will dote on them wherever they can be found.
That could be taken as a bit of a gary glitteresque comment
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:18 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by commander
That could be taken as a bit of a gary glitteresque comment

In all seriousness, it can get to the creepy stage for people used to Western behaviour! Strangers giving children sweets and toys etc, and so on. Plus the ongoing interest in little boys' gochus*...

* gochu is a small Korean chilli pepper...
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with Korea, such as it is, is that many places just aren't used to having many non-Koreans around. In other places I've lived - Singapore, Dubai, various European cities - it's been easy to find like-minded people (either ex-pats or locals) who've had a similar upbringing. That didn't happen to me much at all in Korea.

The singletons found it harder, except the guys with yellow fever of course

In most places in Korea, you'll eat mostly Korean food, drink mostly Korean beer and soju, and enjoy mostly Korean culture. Not that that is a bad thing per se, but it does feel somewhat claustrophobic.

I have to say, though, that if you can find an enclave of ex-pats, it might be very different. I've lived in three cities in Korea, though, and it was a broadly similar experience in all of them.

(I should also say: I'd go back and live there in an instant.)
Thank you for your response that helps xxxx