British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   oh and Spurs, West Ham.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/oh-spurs-west-ham-611069/)

Spugsy May 25th 2009 7:11 am

oh and Spurs, West Ham....

...beaten to 7th spot by Fulham, that's brilliant for them, what an effort and what a season for Hodgson.

Meow May 25th 2009 10:41 am

Re: oh and Spurs, West Ham....

:thumbsup:

An unimaginable result a year ago. Just incredible.

You can support us if you like Spugsy - the colours are close enough ;)

-

lionheart May 25th 2009 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7601733)
:thumbsup:

An unimaginable result a year ago. Just incredible.

You can support us if you like Spugsy - the colours are close enough ;)

-

Expect Fulham to be relegated next season...unless they make an early UEFA Cup exit. We played sixteen games in the competition this season and invariably lost on the Sunday immediately following every Thursday away game, including at home to Fulham. If we had won that particular game, we would have finished seventh instead of Fulham.

BangleMan May 26th 2009 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7601340)
...beaten to 7th spot by Fulham, that's brilliant for them, what an effort and what a season for Hodgson.

hats off to them, a great achievement considering how they did last season

Am very pleased with a 9th place finish, considering the injuries we have had and have played the last 10 games with two 33yrs donkey's up front. The style of football the team are playing under Zola is good to watch, and with a few good signings, and a bit of luck on the injury front next season I think we will be pushing for a top six finish

my weekend was superb ....

West Ham won, Millwall lose to a 85th winner in their play off final, and best of all Sheff Utd have two penalties turned down......and lose to a team playing in claret and blue......hee hee

Am sure I will read in the paper today that they are suing us cos Tevez also wore claret and blue.....

Spugsy May 26th 2009 7:30 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7604491)

Am very pleased with a 9th place finish, considering the injuries we have had and have played the last 10 games with two 33yrs donkey's up front. The style of football the team are playing under Zola is good to watch, and with a few good signings, and a bit of luck on the injury front next season I think we will be pushing for a top six finish

West Ham won, Millwall lose to a 85th winner in their play off final, and best of all Sheff Utd have two penalties turned down......and lose to a team playing in claret and blue......hee hee

Am sure I will read in the paper today that they are suing us cos Tevez also wore claret and blue.....

you playing tomorrow night fella?

BangleMan May 26th 2009 8:15 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7604491)

Following their failure to secure promotion to the Premiership via the backdoor of the play offs, Sheffield United are investigating the possibility of new legal actions to compensate for their extended stay in the Championship. The £20m already agreed with West Ham was designed to compensate for the initial demotion and a further season's stay outside of the Premiership; however, with today's failure to secure a return to the land of milk and honey, the Sheffield United board are now pursuing new legal avenues.

A source close to the club said: "West Ham are ultimately responsible for today's defeat. We were stripped of a number of our key players following relegation who would undoubtedly have secured victory for us today. The settlement agreed out of court may be regarded as binding as far as West Ham are concerned but we believe otherwise."

But West Ham are not the only club sweating on a legal ruling. The source continued: "We are seeking to overturn the decision to promote Burnley. It seems self evident that the team promoted should be the one that ends up with the most points over a season. We finished above Burnley and the playoffs are an illogical contrivance. We will be using the precedent of the Premiership to prove our case. Chelsea are not in a play off with Villa for a place in the Champions League are they? Chelsea have qualified based on their league position. What holds for the Premiership should apply to the teams seeking promotion to the Premiership. We are confident of proving this point in a court of law."

The scorer of the winning goal, Wade Elliot, is also in the frame. The source continued: "We are investigating a third party agreement in relation to Mr Elliot. If our information is correct, it appears that Mr Elliot is either married or committed to a member of the female sex. We have a sworn affidavit which states that, in the event of his partner giving birth on the day of a game, Mr Elliot would be deselected from the team. This is clearly a Third Party Agreement in breach of FA rules."

Referee Mike Dean also faces a compensation claim. Controversy centres on the decision to send off Jamie Ward for a "deliberate hand ball" and the failure to award two penalties to Sheffield United. The spokesman said: "Ward was seeking a hypothetical advantage when handling the ball. To exact punishment for a hypothetical is absurd. The failure to award the penalties is clearly a dereliction of duty on the part of Dean. He is a cheating bastard, end of. We will make him pay!"

The final plank in the legal action centres on Burnley's club colours. The spokesman finished by saying: "It has not escaped our attention that Burnley wear claret and blue. Our lawyers have investigated the precedent of the Tollpuddle Martyrs and it is self evident that there is an illegal secret association here. Tevez may not have played for Burnley today but he was there in spirit. We are confident that, not only will we be compensated and promoted to the Premiership, but West Ham will be transported to Australia. Their captain, Lucas Neill, will help them settle somewhere in the Outback."

lionheart May 26th 2009 8:20 am

And wasn't there some contraversy about Mike Dean's appointment as referee even before a ball was kicked. Looks like possible grounds for a complaint, at least from a Blades perspective.

BangleMan May 26th 2009 8:22 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7604612)
And wasn't there some contraversy about Mike Dean's appointment as referee even before a ball was kicked. Looks like grounds for a complaint.

What gave me real pleasure in Sheffield United failing to get promotion was how Kevin Blackwell tried to put pressure on Mike Dean, saying he shouldn’t have been appointed.

He wasn’t the first and won’t be the last to try to get a ref to favour his side by implying that he’d been unfair in previous matches, but it’s always going to be a dangerous strategy.

Who knows what goes on in a ref’s mind, but subconsciously he’s going to go one of two ways – either think “Yeah, he’s right, I need to be nice to them” or “Sod it, I’ll teach him to bitch and moan”.

The latter seems to have been the case yesterday, with three allegedly ‘decent’ penalty appeals turned down and a player sent off.

There is a God…