Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Oh No! Not more tax BS - Food for thought

Oh No! Not more tax BS - Food for thought

Old May 28th 2008, 9:09 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh No! Not more tax BS - Food for thought

Originally Posted by admon
Good point.
Are you even allowed to vote if you aren't UK resident?
Likely that you can, but you are right, how many would be that bothered to make the effort.
Especially if keeping your vote meant you still had proven links to the Uk...

yes you can and in fact are encouraged to do so. not that many currently bother
Old May 28th 2008, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
yes you can and in fact are encouraged to do so. not that many currently bother
Problem is, its all a bit hypocritical.
If the stuff were to really hit the fan for any of us, in the biggest way possible overseas, our most likely destination would be the Uk..
Old May 28th 2008, 9:21 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
Problem is, its all a bit hypocritical.
If the stuff were to really hit the fan for any of us, in the biggest way possible overseas, our most likely destination would be the Uk..
true, but thats also true for any one of any nationality. It could also be extended to "if the shit hit the fan in the UK" people would go elsewhere.

remember that as a british passport holder if the shit hits the fan the govt will do bugger all to help you. Pay no tax get no help.

If your a US passport holder then the opposite is true, you pay tax as an expat so when the shit hits the fan in come the marines.

If they wanna tax us then we have to get a benefit from paying for it
Old May 28th 2008, 10:26 am
Just Joined

ArchieTech is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not considered any Voting options and what that means. I woudl not want to scupper myself in anyway, however if it proved i coudl vote without any returning tax issues then i would.

I can miagine it being very easily looked over or too much of a hassle for many though.

AT
Old May 28th 2008, 1:54 pm
Banned

zuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ArchieTech
Please excuse my ignorance but seeing these points -

• Have a property available for use in the UK
• Perform duties of employment in the UK
• Have immediate family resident in the UK
• Make many frequent visits to the UK

So a rented property may not be considered as not available. BUT the one that worries me most is Have immediate family resident in the UK, what is meant by this. I am nto really making sense of this.

We have not come out yet, but gearing up to, I certainyl dont like the idea of being taxed no matter where i go! Cheeky sod.

Cheers, AT
If you read IR20 from the Inland Revenue you should be able to figure it out if not it has the number of your local tax office to contact.

If you need a copy of IR20 email me otherwise you should be able to download it from the net.
Old May 28th 2008, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

ArchieTech is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zuzu143
If you read IR20 from the Inland Revenue you should be able to figure it out if not it has the number of your local tax office to contact.

If you need a copy of IR20 email me otherwise you should be able to download it from the net.
Thanks, typing that into google give the April 2008 PDF as the first hit.

Are direct links not allowed?

Cheers, AT