British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Oh No! Not more tax BS - Food for thought (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/oh-no-not-more-tax-bs-food-thought-539191/)

benzonar May 27th 2008 10:41 am

Oh No! Not more tax BS - Food for thought

http://www.expatnetwork.com/?ID=61

Gordon Brown and his grubby mitts at work again no doubt.

MacScot May 27th 2008 10:55 am

Re: Oh No! Not more tax BS - Food for thought

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 6399236)
http://www.expatnetwork.com/?ID=61

Gordon Brown and his grubby mitts at work again no doubt.

Have a property available for use in the UK

This looks like its getting closer to the Australian model. I had to sell up my property in Australia to show total non-residency status and to avoid the tax man.

arbroath_abroad May 27th 2008 12:39 pm

so if my UK property is let out, im ok?

Bonny Boy May 27th 2008 1:16 pm

If you read the text of the link, if you are fully employed outside the UK and have got your complete tax year you should be OK,....until the rules change again.

It is retired people, people who work part in the UK and part overseas and people who have left their family back in the UK who are going to have to review their situation.

"Expatriates can no longer rely on non-resident status being granted purely because they are absent from the UK.

The one exception is where the individual moves abroad for full time employment which lasts for a period of at least one full tax year (i.e. 6th April to the following 5th April). Yet even here the rules have been tightened. To qualify, it is now necessary to show that all of the duties are performed overseas, and if any duties of substance are carried out in the UK (i.e. a director attending occasional board meetings here) the new interpretation could apply."

MacScot May 27th 2008 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 6399689)
so if my UK property is let out, im ok?

I suppose it may still be classified as 'available for use', seeing that you can give notice to the tenant and reoccupy the house.

ArchieTech May 27th 2008 4:07 pm

Please excuse my ignorance but seeing these points -

• Have a property available for use in the UK
• Perform duties of employment in the UK
• Have immediate family resident in the UK
• Make many frequent visits to the UK

So a rented property may not be considered as not available. BUT the one that worries me most is Have immediate family resident in the UK, what is meant by this. I am nto really making sense of this.

We have not come out yet, but gearing up to, I certainyl dont like the idea of being taxed no matter where i go! Cheeky sod.

Cheers, AT

Fairydust May 28th 2008 7:51 am

Presume it means wife and kids

shiva May 28th 2008 8:00 am

Tax man aint getting a ****ing penny from me. Used to pay 40% for sweet **** all.
If he wants my expat earnings he can pry them out my cold dead fingers cos I aint paying him as long as i draw breath.

ArchieTech May 28th 2008 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 6403138)
Presume it means wife and kids

That would make more sense, but with the way this government liek to get any penny from anyone, anywhere in the world (or it seems so) i was not sure.

I guess there will be further clarification if this gets put into effect, but it will be a complete GIT if it does. We will be renting out our flat, so i hope this does not lump us in, it coudl work out in little point moving anywhere.

AT

admon May 28th 2008 8:29 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 6403161)
Tax man aint getting a ****ing penny from me. Used to pay 40% for sweet **** all.
If he wants my expat earnings he can pry them out my cold dead fingers cos I aint paying him as long as i draw breath.

The joys of advanced passenger information..
They will be waiting to snatch you at the airport my friend...

Seems the UK government are desperate to think of ever more inventive ways to claw back some cash from the increasingly large exodus to foreign shores.

First the 90 days includes in and out days, now this. More to come?

ArchieTech May 28th 2008 8:52 am

It seems almost worth becoming a dom somewhere else.

shiva May 28th 2008 9:01 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 6403271)
The joys of advanced passenger information..
They will be waiting to snatch you at the airport my friend...

Seems the UK government are desperate to think of ever more inventive ways to claw back some cash from the increasingly large exodus to foreign shores.

First the 90 days includes in and out days, now this. More to come?

thats easy I just wont go back.

they'd be stupid if they try more. All the tories have to do is say they wont and they've got every expat vote in the bag. and with labours numbers right now thats a big risk

jvr20 May 28th 2008 9:03 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 6403357)
thats easy I just wont go back.

they'd be stupid if they try more. All the tories have to do is say they wont and they've got every expat vote in the bag. and with labours numbers right now thats a big risk

how many expats care enough about the UK to vote? From some of the comments on this very board, it seems a sizeable portion have already given up on the UK as a lost cause.

admon May 28th 2008 9:07 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 6403364)
how many expats care enough about the UK to vote? From some of the comments on this very board, it seems a sizeable portion have already given up on the UK as a lost cause.

Good point.
Are you even allowed to vote if you aren't UK resident?
Likely that you can, but you are right, how many would be that bothered to make the effort.
Especially if keeping your vote meant you still had proven links to the Uk...

shiva May 28th 2008 9:08 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 6403364)

not many but im certain that if they were about to be taxed for being an expat then a lot of people would suddenly become very interested in voting for the opposition