British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Obama Reaches Out To Muslims On Dubai Televison (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/obama-reaches-out-muslims-dubai-televison-587334/)

Bison Jan 27th 2009 10:30 am

Obama Reaches Out To Muslims On Dubai Televison

Barack Obama has told the Muslim world that Americans "are not your enemy" in his first interview with Arab television since becoming US president.

Speaking to cable network al Arabiya, the new leader also renewed his pledge to make a speech in the capital of a major Muslim nation.

"My job to the Muslim world is to communicate that the Americans are not your enemy - we sometimes make mistakes - we have not been perfect," Mr Obama said.

"But if you look at the track record... America was not born as a colonial power, and that the same respect and partnership that America had with the Muslim world as recently as 20 or 30 years ago, there's no reason why we can't restore that."

The President gave the interview as his Middle East envoy, former Senator George Mitchell, set out on an eight-day trip to the region.

Mr Obama said he felt it was important "to get engaged right away" in the Middle East and had instructed Mr Mitchell to talk to "all the major parties involved".

"What I told him is start by listening, because all too often the United States starts by dictating," he told the Dubai-based TV channel.

He reiterated America's commitment to Israel as an ally but suggested it has hard choices to make and that his administration would press harder for it to do so.

"We cannot tell either the Israelis or the Palestinians what's best for them. They're going to have to make some decisions," he said.

"But I do believe that the moment is ripe for both sides to realise that the path that they are on is one that is not going to result in prosperity and security for their people."

During the presidential election campaign last year, Mr Obama vowed to travel to a major Islamic country to make it clear he wanted to improve relations.

"We are going to follow through on many of my commitments to do a more effective job of reaching out, listening as well as speaking to the Muslim world," he said.

However, he did not give a time or venue for his visit.

Bison Jan 27th 2009 10:33 am

Re: Obama Reaches Out To Muslims On Dubai Televison

However, he did not give a time or venue for his visit.
So any ideas on where he will visit first, I can't see it being the UAE, they are to westernised as it is, Iran would be a good guess?

Grace O Malley Jan 27th 2009 10:53 am

Watched the interview, very good.

I'd say Pakistan

Nickel Jan 27th 2009 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7217027)
So any ideas on where he will visit first, I can't see it being the UAE, they are to westernised as it is, Iran would be a good guess?

Pakistan??? Umm, .........I don't think so, maybe........ IMHO, it will probably be Riyadh. We (Americans) have a better relationship with the Saudi's. I will watch "breathlessly" until the visit announcement hoping it will be here in the UAE so I can travel to try and maybe get a glimpse!!;)

(I have high hopes for my country under Prez Obama!!)

Beard Man Jan 28th 2009 3:59 am

I feel it is going to be Riyadh too. the center of whole islamic countries.

Bison Jan 28th 2009 4:09 am

I think that Saudi is to obvious, it's going to be somewhere that has a bit of tension.

Grace O Malley Jan 28th 2009 4:32 am

[QUOTE=Nickel;7218296] Umm, .........I don't think so, maybe........ IMHO, it will probably be Riyadh. We (Americans) have a better relationship with the Saudi's.

lol I wonder why?

I will watch "breathlessly" until the visit announcement hoping it will be here in the UAE so I can travel to try and maybe get a glimpse!!;)

He wont come to the UAE, for what purpose?

Grace O Malley Jan 28th 2009 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Beard Man (Post 7220538)
I feel it is going to be Riyadh too. the center of whole islamic countries.

Wont be Saudi

Beard Man Jan 28th 2009 5:09 am

[QUOTE=annacarna;7220572]

Originally Posted by Nickel (Post 7218296)
Umm, .........I don't think so, maybe........ IMHO, it will probably be Riyadh. We (Americans) have a better relationship with the Saudi's.

lol I wonder why?

I will watch "breathlessly" until the visit announcement hoping it will be here in the UAE so I can travel to try and maybe get a glimpse!!;)

He wont come to the UAE, for what purpose?

for alot of reasons :P

Beard Man Jan 28th 2009 5:11 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7220573)
Wont be Saudi

it is just a feeling... because of Makkah which is the direction of all muslims prayers. Saudia have the hugest wieght among islamic countries and it is the only one (As far as i know) that applies Islamic principles more than others.

but maybe he will chose another country based on population or other factors.

Grace O Malley Jan 28th 2009 5:14 am

[QUOTE=Beard Man;7220642]

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7220572)

for alot of reasons :P

explain?

Beard Man Jan 28th 2009 5:28 am

[QUOTE=annacarna;7220649]

Originally Posted by Beard Man (Post 7220642)

explain?

Oil for a start

and the wieght of saudi in the islamic world

Grace O Malley Jan 28th 2009 5:31 am

[QUOTE=Beard Man;7220671]

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7220649)

Oil for a start

and the wieght of saudi in the islamic world

Oil? From who? UAE???

Beard Man Jan 28th 2009 5:34 am

[QUOTE=annacarna;7220677]

Originally Posted by Beard Man (Post 7220671)

Oil? From who? UAE???

wasn't your question about why americans have better relationship with saudi's ?

i was talking about KSA not UAE

Grace O Malley Jan 28th 2009 5:41 am

[QUOTE=Beard Man;7220685]

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7220677)

wasn't your question about why americans have better relationship with saudi's ?

i was talking about KSA not UAE

:unsure: Its ok, BM, i was being a little sarcastic.

Have you read House of Saud? Its a good read