Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Nurse suicide...hoax callers at fault.

Nurse suicide...hoax callers at fault.

Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse suicide...hoax callers at fault.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tyV19ItB20

what the DJ's have to say for themselves
Apologies for the worse tv programme on Aus TV.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

Not disagreeing, just saying the UK media made it huge and international media made it bigger. She tops herself and it goes through the ceiling. Had the UK media not turned into judge jury and lynch mob, I doubt she'd have been pushed to such lengths.
This is my thinking, if the UK media had not made such a big "to do" out of it, the person in question may not have felt so much pressure. She was probably deeply humiliated and embarrassed upon discovering she'd been duped by the DJ's and broken hospital protocol. Then on top of that the UK media made such a big deal out of it, suggesting sackings of hospital staff and other repercussions etc.

Not defending the distasteful prank by any means, but the whole prank thing should have been kept in perspective and largely ignored and treated with the contempt it deserved.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:52 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I think it was Keith Vaz (who I hate with a passion, however) who said it appears the perpetrators (ie presenters) are getting more support than the victim's family.

Now that is wrong
Old Dec 10th 2012, 7:30 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this was a good article on the history of and the media's responsibility, with prank calls / set ups

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...aw-line-pranks

A good broadcasting prank must either be utterly trivial (Dom Joly, Candid Camera) or pointedly satirical (Chris Morris, The Revolution Will Be Televised). Ineligible for the latter category, the Australian call was aiming for the former, but the joke had wandered into an area – health and medical ethics – where harm is always possible, with apparently tragic consequences. It seems certain to lead to even more safeguards for a form of entertainment that, whatever has been said during the soul-searching of the last few days, the broadcasting audience has always loved and demanded.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My feeling is that the radio station lost the plot some time ago. is there no Australian Broadcasting Authority that supervises this sort of activity. Shame on you Oz !

Last edited by scot47; Dec 10th 2012 at 7:55 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=fluffymoo;10424939]
Originally Posted by Kix
I'm not so sure Dr. BC, you know how people from sub continent (OK Sri Lanka) react if they bring shame on their family, perhaps she just couldn't stand the stress anymore, didn't know how to take it and hung herself.

I'm not convinced there is anything more to the story.

What I find sickening is that in Aus you need the victims permission to broadcast or record a private telephone conversation, this was pre recorded, authorised by the company's lawyers too? Are they not the ones with blood on their hands? Did the second nurse even know it was a hoax when she hung up? I don't think so.

The company involved has form though, a few years ago another of their presenters forced a 14 year old live on air to reveal that she'd been raped while playing a lie detector game, presumably to get a really crappy prize.[/QUOTE

Found this out earlier today by my eldest daughter! This radio station has got a bad reputation for their pranks! Igrree with you kix.
Have you listened to the taped piece on the 14 year old girl. The presenters didn't force the girl into saying she'd been raped - it's was her vile mother that had set her up. All in bad taste but again the radio crew were blamed for the act of an extremely bad judgement call by a parent.

Last edited by Kim67; Dec 10th 2012 at 10:01 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Thought this was a good article on the history of and the media's responsibility, with prank calls / set ups

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...aw-line-pranks

A good broadcasting prank must either be utterly trivial (Dom Joly, Candid Camera) or pointedly satirical (Chris Morris, The Revolution Will Be Televised). Ineligible for the latter category, the Australian call was aiming for the former, but the joke had wandered into an area – health and medical ethics – where harm is always possible, with apparently tragic consequences. It seems certain to lead to even more safeguards for a form of entertainment that, whatever has been said during the soul-searching of the last few days, the broadcasting audience has always loved and demanded.
It seems certain to lead to even more safeguards for a form of entertainment that, whatever has been said during the soul-searching of the last few days, the broadcasting audience has always loved and demanded.

Where is the evidence for that?
Old Dec 11th 2012, 7:25 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
It seems certain to lead to even more safeguards for a form of entertainment that, whatever has been said during the soul-searching of the last few days, the broadcasting audience has always loved and demanded.

Where is the evidence for that?
Presumably the popularity of the shows mentioned in Auto's post.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

What a puffy faced (good job Channel 9 make up) whine from the blond!

and they have the temerity to call us Poms 'whingers'

Bowlin Warney
Old Dec 11th 2012, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Presumably the popularity of the shows mentioned in Auto's post.
But the quote is a specific reference to phone-ins and, in particular, hoax calls - I suspect that isn't the bit that's so popular. I think most people find that format a bit worn out now.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 9:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
But the quote is a specific reference to phone-ins and, in particular, hoax calls - I suspect that isn't the bit that's so popular. I think most people find that format a bit worn out now.
I think your signature is particularly apt for this thread/topic.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ooooh - that was sharp............

[it's an Einstein quote, but I take your point]
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:22 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

What, radio?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

It's brought all the pricks out of the woodwork

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...ly-nurse-death
Old Dec 12th 2012, 12:16 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cypselos
It's brought all the pricks out of the woodwork

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...ly-nurse-death
that is just crazy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.