British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Nurse suicide...hoax callers at fault. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/nurse-suicide-hoax-callers-fault-780055/)

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 9th 2012 3:33 pm

Re: Nurse suicide...hoax callers at fault.

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 10424498)
You're just bored.;)

She may have left a note....

A bit. West Ham v Liverpool isn't gripping.

But I'm still correct.

al dente Dec 9th 2012 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10424503)
A bit. West Ham v Liverpool isn't gripping.

But I'm still correct.

Nor is the article I'm working on..

You might not be, unless she left a note and lied in it. There is a point to empathy etc it offers insight into people and what makes them tick. One can be black and white but it doesn't always make one right. The point is difficult to prove but doesn't mean it isn't true (or, I concede, that it is true either), but that it is probable.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 9th 2012 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 10424524)
Nor is the article I'm working on..

You might not be, unless she left a note and lied in it. There is a point to empathy etc it offers insight into people and what makes them tick. One can be black and white but it doesn't always make one right. The point is difficult to prove but doesn't mean it isn't true (or, I concede, that it is true either), but that it is probable.

Sorry. I mean that we don't know. Until something like a letter comes out, we never really will. I fully agree that it probably played a part though.

Such a shame.

al dente Dec 9th 2012 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10424535)
Sorry. I mean that we don't know. Until something like a letter comes out, we never really will. I fully agree that it probably played a part though.

Such a shame.

I know, everyone involved must feel so awful. No winners there at all.

fluffymoo Dec 9th 2012 10:21 pm

[QUOTE=Kix;10424055]I'm not so sure Dr. BC, you know how people from sub continent (OK Sri Lanka) react if they bring shame on their family, perhaps she just couldn't stand the stress anymore, didn't know how to take it and hung herself.

I'm not convinced there is anything more to the story.

What I find sickening is that in Aus you need the victims permission to broadcast or record a private telephone conversation, this was pre recorded, authorised by the company's lawyers too? Are they not the ones with blood on their hands? Did the second nurse even know it was a hoax when she hung up? I don't think so.

The company involved has form though, a few years ago another of their presenters forced a 14 year old live on air to reveal that she'd been raped while playing a lie detector game, presumably to get a really crappy prize.[/QUOTE

Found this out earlier today by my eldest daughter! This radio station has got a bad reputation for their pranks! Igrree with you kix.

scot47 Dec 9th 2012 10:34 pm

Shows what vile people work in the media.

Cypselos Dec 10th 2012 4:05 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10424950)
Shows what vile people work in the media.

Come on, there are plenty of vile people being dicks everywhere, it's just that in the media they get to broadcast it.

Meow Dec 10th 2012 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Cypselos (Post 10425202)
Come on, there are plenty of vile people being dicks everywhere, it's just that in the media they get to broadcast it.

Exactly.

Meow Dec 10th 2012 9:21 am

There appear to be some rather strong opinions about this and my FB timeline is full of differences of opinion. Apparently as I think it's inappropriate to prank call hospitals that makes me pious! I think to make that prank call was grossly insensitive, as problems in early pregnancy are very worrying to any woman and her family, and that those who think it funny and claim that the woman who killed herself was a 'nutter' need to examine their own values.

There is a time and a place for jokes and this just wasn't it.

Beaverstate Dec 10th 2012 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10425464)
There appear to be some rather strong opinions about this and my FB timeline is full of differences of opinion. Apparently as I think it's inappropriate to prank call hospitals that makes me pious! I think to make that prank call was grossly insensitive, as problems in early pregnancy are very worrying to any woman and her family, and that those who think it funny and claim that the woman who killed herself was a 'nutter' need to examine their own values.

There is a time and a place for jokes and this just wasn't it.

Sorry, I have not been following this closely but, if the nurse had not killed herself would this be such a large story. Or just another gotcha!

Meow Dec 10th 2012 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 10425476)
Sorry, I have not been following this closely but, if the nurse had not killed herself would this be such a large story. Or just another gotcha!

Not quite as big, but the call was inappropriate. Anyone who has ever had problems in early pregnancy will know that. And considering all the coverage of the Levinson enquiry, you'd think that the press/media would have the common sense, if not the decency, to back off.

moneypenny20 Dec 10th 2012 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 10425476)

I suspect the nurse killed herself because it was such a large story.

Beaverstate Dec 10th 2012 9:38 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10425482)
I suspect the nurse killed herself because it was such a large story.

I suspect she killed herself which made it a large story.:unsure:

moneypenny20 Dec 10th 2012 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 10425483)
I suspect she killed herself which made it a large story.:unsure:

Not disagreeing, just saying the UK media made it huge and international media made it bigger. She tops herself and it goes through the ceiling. Had the UK media not turned into judge jury and lynch mob, I doubt she'd have been pushed to such lengths.

Blue Cat Dec 10th 2012 11:02 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tyV19ItB20

what the DJ's have to say for themselves