Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Nuclear Power After Fukushima

Nuclear Power After Fukushima

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:56 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nuclear Power After Fukushima

had a one to one meeting a few years ago with the head man at masdar.
long story short

was keen on the wrong kinds of solar as said above photovoltaics get too hot to be efficient, was desperate to pursue geothermal in RAK, is obsessed with wind ( a friend has just quit that and gone home cant take the bs anymore basically we dont have enough full stop) and generally hasnt a ****ing clue whats going on. basically a load of kiddies with a few bill to play with.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:57 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
well they are. Shams in AD is a good (well bad actually) example of a large solar project. ( http://www.utilities-me.com/article-...habis-shams-1/ )

But, there are a number of problems. Namely:

1- cost

Gas works costs about 3-4cents/kwh, solar about 20cents/kwh. When you sell power to the end user at lower than the cost of production that is a big issue.

To put it in perspective, the shams project cost 600m USD - the cost for the same amount of conventional capacity would be around 80m USD. The shams project also consumes vast amounts of gas in pre-heating the plant. Some say shams by name, shams by nature.

2- technology
Dust here is an issue but like you say there are ways around this. The quality of light here is not great either (it is diffused in the dusty skys - i.e. we don't get blue skys here).

3- it's hot
Heat isn't great for PV panels.

4- Lack of supply
There are pretty much only two suppliers around and they are small companies. There is also concern about their ability to meet ongoing maintenance and warranty claims as they could simply go bust. People don't want to take the risk

5- Unknown
The technology degrades over time - sadly, we don't yet know by how much.

6- Tariff subsidies

People in the region have no idea how much electricity they consume due to it being sold too cheaply.

To get this to really work the regional governments need to lift the subsidy on electricity... can't see that going down well. Imagine your DEWA bill jumping 6 fold.

I could go on... but in short, it's not the no-brainier you think it is when you look at the economics. Of course, investment should be pointed that way to try and fix all of this and to give the region it's credit it is doing so. I agree that all new buildings should have panels on the roof - at least that way the primary cost is 'hidden' in the purchase cost of the apartments.
The individual points you make are, no doubt, correct--but the whole point is that we've got to get round to eco-energy sources. All those above points could be fixed if there was sufficient political force in place.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
was keen on the wrong kinds of solar as said above photovoltaics get too hot to be efficient, was desperate to pursue geothermal in RAK, is obsessed with wind ( a friend has just quit that and gone home cant take the bs anymore basically we dont have enough full stop) and generally hasnt a ****ing clue whats going on. basically a load of kiddies with a few bill to play with.
are they still trying to do the wind farm in Egypt? the phrase pushing water uphill springs to mind.

The UAE doesn't have enough wind, Saudi does though...

Last edited by Millhouse; Mar 23rd 2011 at 11:09 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
The individual points you make are, no doubt, correct--but the whole point is that we've got to get round to eco-energy sources. All those above points could be fixed if there was sufficient political force in place.
don't disagree with that. Problem is no one wants to make the political call.

I just pray fusion gets done in my life time.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shiva
any info on the UK's solar feed in tariff? saw a few solar farms has sprung up?
cut

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...feed-in-tariff

UK is skint. I bet those coal mines will be open in no time and we'll have a Drax II.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:11 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

are they still trying to do the wind farm in Egypt? the phrase pushing water uphill springs to mind.

The UAE doesn't have enough wind, Saudi does though...

no idea, after that first meeting i refused to work with them. not woth the effort and ball ache
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:11 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

cut

UK is skint. I bet those coal mines will be open in no time and we'll have a Drax II.
There are plenty of unemployed Northerners to send down the mines
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meow
There are plenty of unemployed Northerners to send down the mines
Ahmen. It'll stop them moaning about the mines that were closed - I'd like to see them give up the benefits and playstation for some digging.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:14 am
**** it we'll do it live

cut

ta, shame that, had my eye on some cheap land for solar farms if it was going to last. oh well
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:18 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Anaerobic Digestion. It's big in Europe, is growing in the UK, and you just need a load of shite and food waste (and maybe some maize crops) to run it on.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:41 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Solar! I'll say it again: SOLAR. If Aramco and the other nationals had put 1/10 of their profits into development of alternatives over the past 20 years, we wouldn't need oil or nuclear. It does tend to be a bit sunny out here.

I was dead set against nuclear--having lived in Kobe and seen what earthquakes can do, I was always anxious about the effects that a big one would have on a nuclear plant. Fukushima seems to have proved me wrong: yes, there probably will be some deaths as a result, but far fewer than from the supply chain and pollution of oil- or coal-fired plants.

Agree totally with the comments about building nuclear here. Total 'king lunacy.

And although Fukushima seems to have proved nuclear to be "safe" (its a pretty damned small statistical sample though), the decommissioning costs and the management of the waste for the next zillion years is a real concern.
Solar on a large scale is not that efficient or cost effective. However, I think small scale solar panels on villas, tower blocks etc would be great way to reduce energy generation requirements and bring much needed money into the solar energy sector so better and more reliable technology for larger scale projects can be researched and developed.

If a 30 year old plant in Fukushima can be proven relatively safe after one of the largest earthquakes in history plus a tsunami I think brand new plants, if built properly would fare even better...so let's see stronger standards of nuclear plant design and construction along with ever increasing safety and efficiency technology help reduce dependence of fossil fuels and their charming pollutants.

N.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
If a 30 year old plant in Fukushima can be proven relatively safe after one of the largest earthquakes in history plus a tsunami I think brand new plants, if built properly would fare even better...
But its not just about the plant itself--its arguably even more about the management of the waste for generations after the plants have been decommissioned.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Lentil power is the future.

Its either that or pissing into the wind power if anyone comes up with an efficient design.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

But its not just about the plant itself--its arguably even more about the management of the waste for generations after the plants have been decommissioned.
Sadly the waste problem has been there from the beginning, but it seems convenient to overlook it! But it isn't going away!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 7:09 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

And that technology is improving all the time too.

The cold facts are if we want a lovely, clean and renewable organic world we need to loose around 3 billion people and start some serious family planning which will go against half the planet's religious and cultural sensibilities...which the leading nations of the world seem to respect more than long term sustainable human civillisation at present rates.

I suggest a big war coupled with a few pandemics but if no one else agrees I'll take the nuclear option and another 25 years of research into new and renewable energy. Or if someone wants to help me settle the first Mars colony I'm up for that.

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.