Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Now I'm no fan of religion but....

Now I'm no fan of religion but....

Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:54 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now I'm no fan of religion but....

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Sorry Norm but not so for me. I asked some not so silly questions in life (like where we came from, what plausible evidence could find to support the hypothesis that God had ever directly had any hand in creating anything, how valid or non valid the alternative theories are etc.) and then the conclusion came to suggested strongly that it was very unlikely there was a God.

In my view Atheism shouldn't become a crusade against religions but a means for people to live their lives in happiness, free at last from the shackles of ancient scriptures that ask them to perform immoral acts. Most of all though it should be used as a platform to allow people to explore the beauty of our world free to attempt to cessate our endless human curiosity. To explore the love, happiness and companionship we can bring to each other without religious restraint.

I believe over time people will be drawn more and more to this, that they too will want to live their lives without those shackles. It has to be their choice however as no one can ever truely excercise their own judgement through persuasion. Often the shackles they wish to escape will restrain them from living as they would wish, but, truely the place where we all gain the seed of freedom is our minds.

To look back on all of history's wars, it's massacres as a waste of human life isn't a crime or a weakness. Ultimatly the renewed freedom and independance people will gain should bring peace and prosperity. From experience it seems we are habitually a moral people with much in common including our dreams, aspirations, desires etc. The differences that seperate us are much smaller than the commonalities that bind us .

Anyway I've talked too much for now, another drink please .

as far as i know and as far as i believe in ... we were created from mud

[26] And indeed, We created man from dried (sounding) clay of altered mud.

you may find this following link interesting by the way... i hope the truth will find a way through to your heart.. i really wish that you will make use of it.

you believe in science ? you beleive in rational thinking? then read it carefully with your heart and mind.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2517991/TH...RANGARY-MILLER
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:45 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Now I'm no fan of religion but....

Good article BeardMan, although whoever wrote seem a little confused as to the nature of scientific method (testing hypothesis, conjectures v.s. hypothesis, constructing a proof for a theorum etc.) .

Often lost or misunderstood script have contributed to our understanding of the world, very recently for instane the Srinivasa Ramanujan's lost notebooks. Generally though it isn't thought that he was a prophet however , just that his work was done for his own enjoyment so he often just wrote a proof without showing how he derived the proof .

We arrive at another problem of course which is one from which most scriptures suffer. If interpreted liberally you could percieve various hidden meanings, for instance this "Mathematics in the Qur’an" that keeps getting cycled though our e-mail boxes. In a similar way you could probably relate the collective, often very moving if I may say so myself, works of William Blake to advance particle physics but it doesn't make Blakes works any more powerful or meaningful for me.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:07 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Now I'm no fan of religion but....

Originally Posted by W10
You've been reading Nietzsche haven't you
Didn't he pretty much believe that humanism was nothing more than a secular version of theism in some regards?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:40 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I'm not convince the former really exist in a "natural" state.
Possibly...I do feel even without supernatural religions and other hocus pocus some people are just followers more than others.

N.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:54 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beard Man
as far as i know and as far as i believe in ... we were created from mud

[26] And indeed, We created man from dried (sounding) clay of altered mud.

you may find this following link interesting by the way... i hope the truth will find a way through to your heart.. i really wish that you will make use of it.

you believe in science ? you beleive in rational thinking? then read it carefully with your heart and mind.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2517991/TH...RANGARY-MILLER
Sigh.

Science is questions that may never be answered....

Religion is answers that may never be questioned....

I still marvel at people who are happy to use modern medicine, cars, aeroplanes, mobile telephones, computers, electric lights and a thousand other inventions of science but when scientists employ the very same method to start to explain where humans come from they are wrong...it's clay, talking snakes in gardens, blood clots and goodness knows what else

N.