Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Not Room 101 but a Moan Nonetheless

Not Room 101 but a Moan Nonetheless

Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of
Default Not Room 101 but a Moan Nonetheless

It’s someone’s birthday in the office today.

This happens Every. Single. Time…..
  • Order cake. Always chocolate because nobody likes anything different. Repeat message on cake and delivery address to person over the phone four times.
  • Cake arrives late.
  • Everyone gathers around cake excitedly like it's the first time it's ever happened.
  • Someone videos the momentous occasion.
  • Sing Happy Birthday with religious overtones.
  • Everyone feeds the birthday person with a spoonful of cake.
  • Everyone smears a bit of cake onto birthday person's face.
  • Everyone giggles like a 5 year old.
  • Office selfie.
  • Eat cake which tastes nothing like chocolate.
  • Discreetly throw mine in bin.

There are two more birthdays in the next couple of weeks. Great.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Room 101 but a Moan Nonetheless

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1
It’s someone’s birthday in the office today.

This happens Every. Single. Time…..
  • Order cake. Always chocolate because nobody likes anything different. Repeat message on cake and delivery address to person over the phone four times.
  • Cake arrives late.
  • Everyone gathers around cake excitedly like it's the first time it's ever happened.
  • Someone videos the momentous occasion.
  • Sing Happy Birthday with religious overtones.
  • Everyone feeds the birthday person with a spoonful of cake.
  • Everyone smears a bit of cake onto birthday person's face.
  • Everyone giggles like a 5 year old.
  • Office selfie.
  • Eat cake which tastes nothing like chocolate.
  • Discreetly throw mine in bin.

There are two more birthdays in the next couple of weeks. Great.
I feel your pain, its one of my hates as well. To the extent that I have not worked on my birthday since 1985 so no one else has to suffer
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Everyone feeds the birthday person with a spoonful of cake.

Everyone smears a bit of cake onto birthday person's face.

Office selfie.
OK, in order, first two are a priority please:

1. What the actual ****? You're kidding right?
2. As above.
3. Eurgh. Our two admin girls in our team INSIST on photos for everything. I just know we're plastered all over their facebook. Kills me. Hate it. Don't want to sing or be in a photo or anything.

The only other thing about birthdays (and any gift time) is we give them presents, they take them home to open them. Is that weird or just me?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scamp
OK, in order, first two are a priority please:

1. What the actual ****? You're kidding right?
2. As above.
3. Eurgh. Our two admin girls in our team INSIST on photos for everything. I just know we're plastered all over their facebook. Kills me. Hate it. Don't want to sing or be in a photo or anything.

The only other thing about birthdays (and any gift time) is we give them presents, they take them home to open them. Is that weird or just me?
Nope. Not kidding, unfortunately.
These are people that are in their late 20s, early 30 and 40s. Some of them are parents.
I try and hide somewhere, it's bloody awful.

Wherever I used to work in the UK, we'd have a whip round for some cash and a card. Whoever's birthday it was brought in some buns or savoury buffet kind of stuff (then off to the pub for an hour or so). No fuss, all was good.

Last edited by Made in Sheffield 1; Jan 18th 2018 at 7:33 am.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

in our office whose ever birthday it is usually brings in a cake of some form...it's then left on the table in the reception area and folks just help themselves as and when they want....no gathering/singing happy birthday/taking pics etc malarkey.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mission
in our office whose ever birthday it is usually brings in a cake of some form...it's then left on the table in the reception area and folks just help themselves as and when they want....no gathering/singing happy birthday/taking pics etc malarkey.
That idea's loads better.

I'm usually on holiday when it's my birthday so I always think I get away with it.
Oh no, I have to endure it on my first day back.

But even when it's happening to someone else it's just so embarrassing.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Nope. Not kidding, unfortunately.
These are people that are in their late 20s, early 30 and 40s. Some of them are parents.
I try and hide somewhere, it's bloody awful.

Wherever I used to work in the UK, we'd have a whip round for some cash and a card. Whoever's birthday it was brought in some buns or savoury buffet kind of stuff (then off to the pub for an hour or so). No fuss, all was good.
When it's your Birthday how do you stop other people feeding you cake? I think I would think it was a wind up and laugh and refuse.

I hate it. I feel so sorry for you.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

My god you lot are miserable. Just embrace it.

That said, birthdays are totally unrecognised in my office. No one gives a **** about each other at all. Just as it should be.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

When it's your Birthday how do you stop other people feeding you cake? I think I would think it was a wind up and laugh and refuse.

I hate it. I feel so sorry for you.
I managed to get away with it until my last Birthday.

As nothing had happened at lunch I thought I'd escaped but I was caught unawares a couple of hours afterwards. Luckily, they didn't do the cake on face bit. Think they realised when they saw the WTF look I gave them.

I hate been centre of attention.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
My god you lot are miserable. Just embrace it.

That said, birthdays are totally unrecognised in my office. No one gives a **** about each other at all. Just as it should be.
I embrace my birthday as in going with my husband for a nice meal or out with mates on the lash but the cake thing's just damn weird.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

In my office only the Indians/Filipinos bring in cake or something ridiculously sweet on their birthdays. And, oddly enough, the Spaniards.

The normal folk don't do anything.

The cakes/awful Indian sweets/awful sugary donuts are left on a table and people help themselves. There's always a lot left at the end of the day
Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
In my office only the Indians/Filipinos bring in cake or something ridiculously sweet on their birthdays. And, oddly enough, the Spaniards.

The cakes/awful Indian sweets/awful sugary donuts are left on a table and people help themselves. There's always a lot left at the end of the day
Yeah, they're all Indian in the office. I did wonder if it was a cultural thing.

Indian sweets are vile. All the colours of the rainbow. All taste of evaporated milk with added sugar.
Love their savoury snacks though.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH

The 'normal' folk.

I wouldn't have imagined you'd bring any cakes in. That would involve spending money.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The 'normal' folk.
Clearly not including himself in that group.

Probably brings in a pack of biscuits and hands them out individually and keeps the balance for next year.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

The 'normal' folk.

I wouldn't have imagined you'd bring any cakes in. That would involve spending money.
It was bait meant for Miss Anne. Didn't expect you to go for it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.