British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Not Room 101 but a Moan Nonetheless (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/not-room-101-but-moan-nonetheless-908116/)

Made in Sheffield 1 Jan 18th 2018 6:31 am

Not Room 101 but a Moan Nonetheless

It’s someone’s birthday in the office today.

This happens Every. Single. Time…..
  • Order cake. Always chocolate because nobody likes anything different. Repeat message on cake and delivery address to person over the phone four times.
  • Cake arrives late.
  • Everyone gathers around cake excitedly like it's the first time it's ever happened.
  • Someone videos the momentous occasion.
  • Sing Happy Birthday with religious overtones.
  • Everyone feeds the birthday person with a spoonful of cake.
  • Everyone smears a bit of cake onto birthday person's face.
  • Everyone giggles like a 5 year old.
  • Office selfie.
  • Eat cake which tastes nothing like chocolate.
  • Discreetly throw mine in bin.

There are two more birthdays in the next couple of weeks. Great.

Pollyana Jan 18th 2018 6:55 am

Re: Not Room 101 but a Moan Nonetheless

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1 (Post 12421583)
It’s someone’s birthday in the office today.

This happens Every. Single. Time…..
  • Order cake. Always chocolate because nobody likes anything different. Repeat message on cake and delivery address to person over the phone four times.
  • Cake arrives late.
  • Everyone gathers around cake excitedly like it's the first time it's ever happened.
  • Someone videos the momentous occasion.
  • Sing Happy Birthday with religious overtones.
  • Everyone feeds the birthday person with a spoonful of cake.
  • Everyone smears a bit of cake onto birthday person's face.
  • Everyone giggles like a 5 year old.
  • Office selfie.
  • Eat cake which tastes nothing like chocolate.
  • Discreetly throw mine in bin.

There are two more birthdays in the next couple of weeks. Great.

I feel your pain, its one of my hates as well. To the extent that I have not worked on my birthday since 1985 so no one else has to suffer :lol:

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 18th 2018 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1 (Post 12421583)
Everyone feeds the birthday person with a spoonful of cake.

Everyone smears a bit of cake onto birthday person's face.

Office selfie.

OK, in order, first two are a priority please:

1. What the actual ****? You're kidding right?
2. As above.
3. Eurgh. Our two admin girls in our team INSIST on photos for everything. I just know we're plastered all over their facebook. Kills me. Hate it. Don't want to sing or be in a photo or anything.

The only other thing about birthdays (and any gift time) is we give them presents, they take them home to open them. Is that weird or just me?

Made in Sheffield 1 Jan 18th 2018 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12421603)
OK, in order, first two are a priority please:

1. What the actual ****? You're kidding right?
2. As above.
3. Eurgh. Our two admin girls in our team INSIST on photos for everything. I just know we're plastered all over their facebook. Kills me. Hate it. Don't want to sing or be in a photo or anything.

The only other thing about birthdays (and any gift time) is we give them presents, they take them home to open them. Is that weird or just me?

Nope. Not kidding, unfortunately.
These are people that are in their late 20s, early 30 and 40s. Some of them are parents.
I try and hide somewhere, it's bloody awful.

Wherever I used to work in the UK, we'd have a whip round for some cash and a card. Whoever's birthday it was brought in some buns or savoury buffet kind of stuff (then off to the pub for an hour or so). No fuss, all was good.

mission Jan 18th 2018 7:47 am

in our office whose ever birthday it is usually brings in a cake of some form...it's then left on the table in the reception area and folks just help themselves as and when they want....no gathering/singing happy birthday/taking pics etc malarkey.

Made in Sheffield 1 Jan 18th 2018 7:53 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12421625)
in our office whose ever birthday it is usually brings in a cake of some form...it's then left on the table in the reception area and folks just help themselves as and when they want....no gathering/singing happy birthday/taking pics etc malarkey.

That idea's loads better.

I'm usually on holiday when it's my birthday so I always think I get away with it.
Oh no, I have to endure it on my first day back.

But even when it's happening to someone else it's just so embarrassing.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 18th 2018 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1 (Post 12421609)
Nope. Not kidding, unfortunately.
These are people that are in their late 20s, early 30 and 40s. Some of them are parents.
I try and hide somewhere, it's bloody awful.

Wherever I used to work in the UK, we'd have a whip round for some cash and a card. Whoever's birthday it was brought in some buns or savoury buffet kind of stuff (then off to the pub for an hour or so). No fuss, all was good.

When it's your Birthday how do you stop other people feeding you cake? I think I would think it was a wind up and laugh and refuse.

I hate it. I feel so sorry for you.

Millhouse Jan 18th 2018 8:01 am

My god you lot are miserable. Just embrace it.

That said, birthdays are totally unrecognised in my office. No one gives a **** about each other at all. Just as it should be.

Made in Sheffield 1 Jan 18th 2018 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12421632)
When it's your Birthday how do you stop other people feeding you cake? I think I would think it was a wind up and laugh and refuse.

I hate it. I feel so sorry for you.

I managed to get away with it until my last Birthday.

As nothing had happened at lunch I thought I'd escaped but I was caught unawares a couple of hours afterwards. Luckily, they didn't do the cake on face bit. Think they realised when they saw the WTF look I gave them.

I hate been centre of attention.

Made in Sheffield 1 Jan 18th 2018 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12421638)
My god you lot are miserable. Just embrace it.

That said, birthdays are totally unrecognised in my office. No one gives a **** about each other at all. Just as it should be.

I embrace my birthday as in going with my husband for a nice meal or out with mates on the lash but the cake thing's just damn weird.

DXBtoDOH Jan 18th 2018 8:16 am

In my office only the Indians/Filipinos bring in cake or something ridiculously sweet on their birthdays. And, oddly enough, the Spaniards.

The normal folk don't do anything.

The cakes/awful Indian sweets/awful sugary donuts are left on a table and people help themselves. There's always a lot left at the end of the day :unsure:

Made in Sheffield 1 Jan 18th 2018 8:27 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12421646)
In my office only the Indians/Filipinos bring in cake or something ridiculously sweet on their birthdays. And, oddly enough, the Spaniards.

The cakes/awful Indian sweets/awful sugary donuts are left on a table and people help themselves. There's always a lot left at the end of the day :unsure:

Yeah, they're all Indian in the office. I did wonder if it was a cultural thing.

Indian sweets are vile. All the colours of the rainbow. All taste of evaporated milk with added sugar.
Love their savoury snacks though.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 18th 2018 9:44 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12421646)

The 'normal' folk. :blink:

I wouldn't have imagined you'd bring any cakes in. That would involve spending money. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Millhouse Jan 18th 2018 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12421694)

Clearly not including himself in that group.

Probably brings in a pack of biscuits and hands them out individually and keeps the balance for next year.

DXBtoDOH Jan 18th 2018 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12421694)

I wouldn't have imagined you'd bring any cakes in. That would involve spending money. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It was bait meant for Miss Anne. Didn't expect you to go for it :lol: