Not Impressed..

Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Impressed..

Originally Posted by Beakersful
As long as he doesn't have a 'thing' for using the toilets in bathroom showrooms you don't have to face ultimate humiliation. My mother simply will not let that lie

Brilliant.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Just widen the net. Don't overlook schools simply because they don't contain the words English, British or American.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Having just checked, it appears homeschooling in Saudi is legal for expats?

I wonder how many families are over where one partner does not work and it may be better (or worse) for families to get together and simply homeschool, sharing the responsibilities, within the compounds? I presume fewer families come over without compound accommodation? I know one person who has come home to the UK for the purpose of getting their kids a decent education and has actually voiced concern at the state of education here in the intervening years since being abroad.

That way you don't have to spend extortionate fees, you don't have to worry about what to do (or what you can't do if you are female) during the day, and you have full control over your childs education/welfare.

As an additional point, the UK education system has crumbled, although is better at primary level recently. If you homeschool your child and do not follow the curriculum and pay out of your own pocket for GCSE's/A levels, you have a couple of choices. 1) FE college take in kids who aren't suitable for mainstream education at 14+ for GNVQ's/NVQ's to gain a trade. 2) You can always prompt your children to go to an FE college to take an Access course from 19-20/21 and then apply to university.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:50 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

schools have closed their waiting lists because they simply have no idea who is actually going to turn up in September. The whole there are no school places is a load of shite (apart from a few of the popular schools). Come the end of September they will know what the situation is and then there will be places available again. You just need to relax.
Its a world gone mad with people registering (and often paying admin fees) at 6 schools at the same time, all cause of a stupid hype.
Besides, he's 3 years old, suppose you cannot get him into the school you want this year, you can always transfer him next year or the year after, it's hardly going to affect his academic carreer.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
schools have closed their waiting lists because they simply have no idea who is actually going to turn up in September. The whole there are no school places is a load of shite (apart from a few of the popular schools). Come the end of September they will know what the situation is and then there will be places available again. You just need to relax.
Its a world gone mad with people registering (and often paying admin fees) at 6 schools at the same time, all cause of a stupid hype.
Besides, he's 3 years old, suppose you cannot get him into the school you want this year, you can always transfer him next year or the year after, it's hardly going to affect his academic carreer.

Thats the way I was thinking,by putting him into nursery first and then trawling the schools.
I just hope its not as hard as it seems and you are right about the wait lists.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Having just checked, it appears homeschooling in Saudi is legal for expats?

I wonder how many families are over where one partner does not work and it may be better (or worse) for families to get together and simply homeschool, sharing the responsibilities, within the compounds? I presume fewer families come over without compound accommodation? I know one person who has come home to the UK for the purpose of getting their kids a decent education and has actually voiced concern at the state of education here in the intervening years since being abroad.

That way you don't have to spend extortionate fees, you don't have to worry about what to do (or what you can't do if you are female) during the day, and you have full control over your childs education/welfare.

As an additional point, the UK education system has crumbled, although is better at primary level recently. If you homeschool your child and do not follow the curriculum and pay out of your own pocket for GCSE's/A levels, you have a couple of choices. 1) FE college take in kids who aren't suitable for mainstream education at 14+ for GNVQ's/NVQ's to gain a trade. 2) You can always prompt your children to go to an FE college to take an Access course from 19-20/21 and then apply to university.
I think I can say,hand on heart...
I cant think of anything worse than home schooling.
Not only would my son grow up as thick as two short planks,but I would end up in a loony bin!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
Not only would my son grow up as thick as two short planks,but I would end up in a loony bin!
Perhaps preconceptions caused by the worst scare stories! You do need a large enough network of other families, and that most of them are considered 'normal' admittedly, not tin foil hat wearing, hippy, dropout types. Education should be something that prepares your children to be useful members of society. If you fail to do such, then you've failed as a homeschooling parent. Thing is, when you hand over responsibility to the state and they fail your kids, who is to blame then? The law here states it is the parents responsibility to ensure a child of school age receives a full time education suitable to their age and any special needs.....blah blah.

I'm for it, if done properly, although sent my kids back to school in the end myself due to reasons that were out of my personal control. I'm currently trying to figure out whether compound conditions in KSA mean that homeschooling is a more promising proposition for expat children. I was brought up in various military and military funded schools around the world and I think it was about a year ago that the shrinks were coming up with a new theory, that military brats were 'storing up problems for the future'. In some similar manner, maybe expat kids raised abroad face similar issues?

Therefore, it seems to me, a valid question to ask would be: is homeschooling the better of two evils in this particular situation?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I cant see it being a problem as KTJ junior is white and anglo saxon. They will shift some Johnny Foreigners or Off white British passport holders off the waiting list in favor. Relax and have a beer
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Perhaps preconceptions caused by the worst scare stories! You do need a large enough network of other families, and that most of them are considered 'normal' admittedly, not tin foil hat wearing, hippy, dropout types. Education should be something that prepares your children to be useful members of society. If you fail to do such, then you've failed as a homeschooling parent. Thing is, when you hand over responsibility to the state and they fail your kids, who is to blame then? The law here states it is the parents responsibility to ensure a child of school age receives a full time education suitable to their age and any special needs.....blah blah.

I'm for it, if done properly, although sent my kids back to school in the end myself due to reasons that were out of my personal control. I'm currently trying to figure out whether compound conditions in KSA mean that homeschooling is a more promising proposition for expat children. I was brought up in various military and military funded schools around the world and I think it was about a year ago that the shrinks were coming up with a new theory, that military brats were 'storing up problems for the future'. In some similar manner, maybe expat kids raised abroad face similar issues?

Therefore, it seems to me, a valid question to ask would be: is homeschooling the better of two evils in this particular situation?
If somebody else wanted to home school my son,in THEIR home,lovely.
I have waited nearly 3 years to be able to send him off with a kiss and have a partial bit of my normal life back!!
As much as I love him,it will be lovely having him out from under my feet 24 hours a day and not have to be 'Mummy'.
I cant be sure,but I would say im not the only one!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Never fear.. you're not alone! I love mine so much more when I'm at work and they are at school!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

If somebody else wanted to home school my son,in THEIR home,lovely.
I have waited nearly 3 years to be able to send him off with a kiss and have a partial bit of my normal life back!!
As much as I love him,it will be lovely having him out from under my feet 24 hours a day and not have to be 'Mummy'.
I would have never been able to home school my son, it is a very alien concept to me. Besides, the kids I know of who have been home schooled are ...hmmm, well, a bit "different". Not my cup of tea...besides, it WAS lovely to send him off with a kiss for a while
Mine went to a nursery at that age, and then off to reception, don't worry, you'll find him a good school when time comes.
Oh, mine is off to boarding school now....and he is a MENSA member, so don't worry, a mum always knows best.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:35 pm