British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Not enough Wigan fans (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/not-enough-wigan-fans-793659/)

Quackers Apr 11th 2013 11:50 am

Not enough Wigan fans
 
Is it too much to ask 'small' northern teams to travel down to London (Wembley) for a Semi and then again for a Final (providing they win) ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22097080

Wigan have an average attendance of 18K which has increased from 2K in 1995.

The Town is mainly a Rugby place and would those supporters go to the semi if it was held at say Old Trafford or Villa Park ?

The_Citizen Apr 11th 2013 11:54 am

Re: Not enough Wigan fans
 
You can understand it! If you speak to the majority of the fans they would expect to win against Milwall and will probably just wait for the final.

We (city) sold all our tickets pretty fast but even Chelsea struggled to see apparently. People just refuse to go to Wembley for a Semi Final. It goes back to the old argument about Semis being played at Wembley! It should be a neutral ground for the semi and Wembley for the final.

Quackers Apr 11th 2013 12:01 pm

Re: Not enough Wigan fans
 

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS (Post 10653321)
You can understand it! If you speak to the majority of the fans they would expect to win against Milwall and will probably just wait for the final.

We (city) sold all our tickets pretty fast but even Chelsea struggled to see apparently. People just refuse to go to Wembley for a Semi Final. It goes back to the old argument about Semis being played at Wembley! It should be a neutral ground for the semi and Wembley for the final.

I always thought it was better to have the semis at neutral grounds which then made the Final a special day out.

The semi for Wigan is at 5:15 (don't know why) so it is too late for the fans to take the train home.

I understand that Wembley needs to be paid for but high prices and travel costs on top is just too much to pay twice.

The_Citizen Apr 11th 2013 12:05 pm

Re: Not enough Wigan fans
 

Originally Posted by Quackers (Post 10653334)
I always thought it was better to have the semis at neutral grounds which then made the Final a special day out.

The semi for Wigan is at 5:15 (don't know why) so it is too late for the fans to take the train home.

I understand that Wembley needs to be paid for but high prices and travel costs on top is just too much to pay twice.

And I wouldn't fancy being to close to 30,000 Millwall fans with no train home!

Quackers Apr 11th 2013 12:10 pm

Re: Not enough Wigan fans
 

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS (Post 10653338)
And I wouldn't fancy being to close to 30,000 Millwall fans with no train home!

At least the Wigan fans will be able to car share with City fans for the Final.

I heard that Man U request the Semis to be played at Wembley so that (if they ever got there) their fans wouldn't have far to travel :p

Meow Apr 11th 2013 2:28 pm

Re: Not enough Wigan fans
 

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS (Post 10653321)
You can understand it! If you speak to the majority of the fans they would expect to win against Milwall and will probably just wait for the final.

We (city) sold all our tickets pretty fast but even Chelsea struggled to see apparently. People just refuse to go to Wembley for a Semi Final. It goes back to the old argument about Semis being played at Wembley! It should be a neutral ground for the semi and Wembley for the final.

Surely the point of Wembly is that it is a neutral ground?

Are the pie-eaters too poor to travel twice? ;)


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:01 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.