Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Norway, world's biggest sovereign fund?

Norway, world's biggest sovereign fund?

Old Dec 8th 2013, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Norway, world's biggest sovereign fund?

Confess, Janxiebabe, you did not even know that there had been a Union !
Old Dec 8th 2013, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Confess, Janxiebabe, you did not even know that there had been a Union !
And that Greenland wasn't a dependancy either...
Old Dec 9th 2013, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

Huge sovereign fund, but only 6 hours of sunlight. Proof that you can't have it all
I guess that the sovereign fund makes Norway more stable, but other than that I can't see in what way the Norwegians benefit from it. It's said that they have good freeish healthcare, kindergarten, schools, social benefits etc but they pay huge taxes for that. The way that you can benefit from the oil in Norway is to work in the industry. Ironically, Norway has one of the highest taxation in the world on car fuel.

If you ever complain about hot weather in the summer, try this.

http://svalbard.nordicvisitor.com/tr...-and-daylight/

No sun at all between October 28th to February 14th. At least the taxes are a little lower on that island compared to the rest of Norway.

Last edited by Myusernamewastaken; Dec 9th 2013 at 2:51 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:54 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken
I guess that the sovereign fund makes Norway more stable, but other than that I can't see in what way the Norwegians benefit from it. It's said that they have good freeish healthcare, kindergarten, schools, social benefits etc but they pay huge taxes for that. The way that you can benefit from the oil in Norway is to work in the industry. Ironically, Norway has one of the highest taxation in the world on car fuel.
I don't see that as ironic. Most countries in the ME spout about social responsibility, greeness, solar and like things which they pay absolute lip service to as epitomised by cheap fuel and no disincentives whatseover to excessive fossil fuel consumption in all respects. Merely because Norway's sitting on top of reserves shouldn't--and evidently doesn't--give it licence to forget about the consequences of using the stuff in excess.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

I don't see that as ironic. Most countries in the ME spout about social responsibility, greeness, solar and like things which they pay absolute lip service to as epitomised by cheap fuel and no disincentives whatseover to excessive fossil fuel consumption in all respects. Merely because Norway's sitting on top of reserves shouldn't--and evidently doesn't--give it licence to forget about the consequences of using the stuff in excess.
You were thinking in the lines of alcoholic beverage producers trying to say that the consumers should "drink responsibly", oil producers are trying to say that the consumers should burn oil responsibly? Never heard it before though but if you say so...

I don't think that the Norwegian taxation on car fuel is extremely linked to concerns about the environment. Norway has a relatively small population and the Norwegians are very good at finding ways to collect taxes.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Are you referring to the police reports that all assualt rapes (solved) were committed by immigrants between 2007 and 2009? And that over half of unsolved cases were reported to have been by perpetrators of non-European origin?

http://www.nrk.no/norge/rekordmange-...kter-1.6944861

N.
Absolutely not.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

OK, just checking
I had no idea that a stat like that existed. Mental.

Heard a funny story the other day, South African guy apparently couldn't understand why someone I know pointed out that the "thieving black bastard" need only be called a "thieving bastard" and that he didn't steal because he was black, but because he was a thief.

Apparently very funny to try and get that message across
Old Dec 15th 2013, 8:56 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Anyone read Freakonomics?
Old Dec 15th 2013, 11:53 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Anyone read Freakonomics?
Those are very interesting books.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

But that would be expecting a tribal middle eastern culture to show empathy, compassion and gratitude towards others

N.
A humble editorial contribution