Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Norway shootings thread

Norway shootings thread

Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:10 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Norway shootings thread

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And yet all those Oxbridge-educated archbishops, high priests and the like seem to get it. There again, I know some highly-educated people who think that football's a worthwhile spectator sport.

Take's all sorts, but I'll be buggered if I can work it out.

Well, that is rather my point. How can they possibly really believe in a deity that has never been seen, never heard, for which there is no evidence and has rules that were written down anything between 1,500 and 6,000 years ago? Do they really believe it all, or is it just a following of convention?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but religion simply makes no sense to me.

Edit> This thread is about Norway. This mass murderer is clearly a psychopath. Does applying other labels make any difference to the situation?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
Do you really only come on this forum to pick arguments and twist other people's comments?

No one has said anything about despising, so perhaps you might want to examine the chips on your shoulders?
I had no intention to pick an argument, merely responded to your highly provocative post. It seems you have ignored all my previous requests to avoid prejudice/favouritism and now you are accusing me of coming on to this forum to pick arguments and twisting other people’s comments. My comments on any discussion are “picking arguments” and your Pal’s consistent discrimination and mischief is valid . You know how much you despise religion and have made that clear on a number of occasions and if you call someone following a particular faith deluded, they are hardly going to smile back and applaud you for insulting them.

I could add a wee bit more but again I’m sticking to my principal and out of respect would not comment any further on your prejudice.

Just a reminder, I have nothing but respect for you Meow.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Or perhaps you are suggesting now that holding views like his
N.
What an outrageous idea... Your hateful spite-filled venomous views are filled with apocalyptic visions of a culture and a pure ideology struggling to survive an invasion from The Other. The civilised world has had enough of this narrow-mindedness.

As much as you try to distance your pathetic small-minded ideas from his, at heart they are the same, driven by the same fears and xenophobic propaganda.

The world is increasingly aware of the kind of shit fascists spread: both kinds of fascists- your 'ideology' and that of the muslim fundie are but two sides of the same worthless coin.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:42 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherri
I had no intention to pick an argument, merely responded to your highly provocative post. It seems you have ignored all my previous requests to avoid prejudice/favouritism and now you are accusing me of coming on to this forum to pick arguments and twisting other people’s comments. My comments on any discussion are “picking arguments” and your Pal’s consistent discrimination and mischief is valid . You know how much you despise religion and have made that clear on a number of occasions and if you call someone following a particular faith deluded, they are hardly going to smile back and applaud you for insulting them.

I could add a wee bit more but again I’m sticking to my principal and out of respect would not comment any further on your prejudice.

Just a reminder, I have nothing but respect for you Meow.
Surely those of us without religion are permitted to have other beliefs?

Sherri, it seems that every post you make is about religion. You don't comment on other issues and you have commented to the effect that atheism is the main cause in the breakdown of society. Many will find that offensive.

I am anti-religion. I am not anti-people, no matter what they believe. I think that religion should be a personal choice and a private matter and that the world would be a far better place if that's how it was treated and practiced.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

I am anti-religion. I am not anti-people, no matter what they believe. I think that religion should be a personal choice and a private matter and that the world would be a far better place if that's how it was treated and practiced.
+1
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Surely those of us without religion are permitted to have other beliefs?

Sherri, it seems that every post you make is about religion. You don't comment on other issues and you have commented to the effect that atheism is the main cause in the breakdown of society. Many will find that offensive.

Blame Norm for most (not every) of my posts about religion, we are same age group so perhaps a little immature and sometimes take things a little too far. Despite all efforts, I couldn’t resist temptation to respond to his ‘facts and figures”. I know at times I am defending the almost un-defendable but I try to provide my own perspective on things so we could find a common ground, realise that there are faults in every one of us and eradicate all that hate that has been mounting.

With regards to atheism, well it's a personal opinion based on my own findings but I guess it’s no different to how someone perceive Islam. I agree that this view may offend some but so does the Islamic view, I can assure you that my intention is not to target anyone in particular, it’s just a view – i hope you understand what I mean!

I know you're sweet and have no anti-people agenda, just feel a little favouritism at times but I can understand the reason for this.

Can we cuddle now

Last edited by sherri; Jul 26th 2011 at 3:16 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:23 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

if this thread goes down the route others of this nature have gone I am going to ask for it to be closed
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:20 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
Christianity has numerous shameful chapters. You're excusing these based on them being defensive or retaliatory?
Agree completely about Christianity. I don't recall excusing any religion's shameful episodes and would go as far as to say Islam and Christianity are world leaders by far in the shameful history episodes. I could mention however the good parts or which founder was more moral and humane but that's another debate.
That's exactly the same crap the islamic extremists come out with... "we're blowing up Europe/US cities because you're killing our people in Afghanistan/Iraq"

Sorry, doesn't wash with me.
They are all mad murderers - the only difference is the ideology. Christian, Muslim, Marxists, Nazis or whoever...they take an ideology and make it absolute then go about murdering.
Christians are more than capable of committing mass murder and atrocities for their religion, and have done so frequently during history, around the world.
Again I agree. The Norwegian shooter claims to be Christian and is inspired by the Knights Templar...there you go.
If this Norwegian guy had been muslim, we'd get the usual crap about murderous religion... turns out he's christian and now we get a chorus of "no he's not, he's just a nutter".
Well this is a different area now. Whilst the bible contains a lot of violence, especially in the Old Testament, the founder of Christianity seemed to preach pacifism. Turn the other cheek and all that.

If we look at the founder of Islam we see a fellow who led men to war, captured women as war booty and did a lot of things that were not too out of place for his time but are generally not done in the modern era. His earlier teachings seemed better but as he aged he seemed to have gone down the warlord path...

But you are right, if he'd been a Muslim people would be more likely to blame the religion than his insanity. It's another (unhealthy) debate as to whether that's justified or not.

Anyone who believes in religion quite frankly is a nutter in my book. I mean, just read the bible. It's a load of old magic-moonbeam shite, and people believe this stuff?
Cannot agree more. I'm all for a bit of meditation, spirituality and non-literal belief that is deeply personal. Shame most religions don't teach stuff like that.

The only one I can think of where the more fundamentalist they become the safer we all are is Jainism.

N.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:41 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
What an outrageous idea... Your hateful spite-filled venomous views are filled with apocalyptic visions of a culture and a pure ideology struggling to survive an invasion from The Other. The civilised world has had enough of this narrow-mindedness.

As much as you try to distance your pathetic small-minded ideas from his, at heart they are the same, driven by the same fears and xenophobic propaganda.

The world is increasingly aware of the kind of shit fascists spread: both kinds of fascists- your 'ideology' and that of the muslim fundie are but two sides of the same worthless coin.
Thanks for your valued synopsis of both my character and my ideology (I wasn't really aware I was subscribed to any ideology really but never mind).

I think after reading your input that it's probably best I don't reply. Like most people when accused of being something unpleasant the urge to respond is strong but I very much doubt anything I type will be seen for what it is by you.

N.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Changing the topic slightly............ most of the networks carried (live) the Norwegian Police press conference this evening.

Anybody see any of it? (You couldn't possibly have sat through all of it!). All I can say is that I'm surprised the death toll wasn't in the thousands. I can scarcely recall such an ill-prepared and out-of-their-depth bunch of idiots ever appearing in public before.

The helicopters "weren't equipped" to deal with a "lone gunman"...... the response was slow due to a "staff shortage", and a delay in senior officers realising that "it was a real situation, not a joke".......

.......... and my favourite: "You can criticise us if you wish, but we are only human beings".
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Changing the topic slightly............ most of the networks carried (live) the Norwegian Police press conference this evening.

Anybody see any of it? (You couldn't possibly have sat through all of it!). All I can say is that I'm surprised the death toll wasn't in the thousands. I can scarcely recall such an ill-prepared and out-of-their-depth bunch of idiots ever appearing in public before.

The helicopters "weren't equipped" to deal with a "lone gunman"...... the response was slow due to a "staff shortage", and a delay in senior officers realising that "it was a real situation, not a joke".......

.......... and my favourite: "You can criticise us if you wish, but we are only human beings".
I didn't see the TV press conference but I think the authorities being illprepared is understanadable as Norway wasn't facing any such threats to consider preparing for it.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I didn't see the TV press conference but I think the authorities being illprepared is understanadable as Norway wasn't facing any such threats to consider preparing for it.
Perhaps so, but the whole tone of the meeting was one of excuses and shoulder-shrugging............... and how "prepared" do you have to be for a single gunman?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:58 pm

WakeUp is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps so, but the whole tone of the meeting was one of excuses and shoulder-shrugging............... and how "prepared" do you have to be for a single gunman?
True but don't forget they were distracted by a bomb next to government buildings only an hour before. This is not a situation that they would have dreamed of before Friday. One attack was shocking enough for them, but two within such a short amount of time would have been unthinkable.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:03 pm

Didn't see it but have read about it.

It's quite shocking how the police couldn't find a proper boat and didn't have the type of helicopters to land armed units on the island...apparently some people in the Norwegian forces have been complaining about this to the powers that be for years.

What a pity that dozens more died simply because some bureaucrat didn't want to fill in an extra form, request extra funding or otherwise rock the boat in their little office somewhere

That sort of thing isn't forgivable in a modern Western European country. Even in Britain where leaves and snow can stop 100 ton trains we have highly trained men who can be sent almost anywhere in the country quite quickly if needed.

N.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by WakeUp
True but don't forget they were distracted by a bomb next to government buildings only an hour before. This is not a situation that they would have dreamed of before Friday. One attack was shocking enough for them, but two within such a short amount of time would have been unthinkable.
And it might be worth considering as well. Norway had something like 54 murders in an entire year some years back when I last saw statistics on it. But sure, perhaps some more crisis situation equipment, like a helicopter, would have been nice. But the majority of people are on holiday and July is a pretty relaxed month at the best of times. So the cliched descriptions floating about in various news outlets are really a pretty true representation of the place. Haven't been there for a couple of years now, but I shall be there for awhile in August, can't wait.

Had there been an available helicopter in one of their other 'big cities', I'd imagine they would not have been able to reach there any faster than the police did. Some sketchy information floating about when the police were actually alerted and when the shooter began his shooting spree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.