British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   North of MoE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/north-moe-778797/)

Millhouse Nov 26th 2012 11:23 am

North of MoE
 
What is all this about?

From now on, I'm not leaving the springs. I know I don't live there, but it's just too scary out there - all those foreigners.

The Dean Nov 26th 2012 11:49 am

Re: North of MoE
 
The country runs in a sort of North-East to South-West direction (and vice versa).......

........ and did anyone else get confused the first time they walked out of a Metro station, following signs reading "SOUTH" only to find they were on the SouthBOUND side of SZR - which of course is the North side of the road........ :frown:

mentalist Nov 26th 2012 12:44 pm

Re: North of MoE
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10401805)
........ and did anyone else get confused the first time they walked out of a Metro station, following signs reading "SOUTH" only to find they were on the SouthBOUND side of SZR - which of course is the North side of the road........ :frown:

As SZR runs north to south then surely the north bound side of the road is on the east (ie. landward) side and the south bound side is on the west (ie. seaward) side or am I mistaken?.:confused:

The Dean Nov 27th 2012 2:18 am

Re: North of MoE
 

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10401864)
As SZR runs north to south then surely the north bound side of the road is on the east (ie. landward) side and the south bound side is on the west (ie. seaward) side or am I mistaken?.:confused:

Exactly - when the sign said SOUTH, I expected to come out on the South side of the road (ie landward side, MOTE side, Burj Khalifa side, etc). In fact it's the opposite - it means the SouthBOUND side of the road.

Why am I repeating myself here?

Scamp Nov 27th 2012 4:02 am

Re: North of MoE
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10401778)
What is all this about?

From now on, I'm not leaving the springs. I know I don't live there, but it's just too scary out there - all those foreigners.

Scary? You want to drive around Business Bay at night. That's bollock-terrifying.

LaLaLayla Nov 27th 2012 5:00 am

Re: North of MoE
 
1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10402969)
Scary? You want to drive around Business Bay at night. That's bollock-terrifying.

I am glad it is not just me that finds Business Bay scary. Look at this thing I photographed when I was there a few weeks ago. Scared the living bejesus out of me :D

Scamp Nov 27th 2012 5:01 am

Re: North of MoE
 

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10403026)
I am glad it is not just me that finds Business Bay scary. Look at this thing I photographed when I was there a few weeks ago. Scared the living bejesus out of me :D

At night, with no lights in the buildings and nobody around it's spooky alright.

I like to see how far I'll drive with no lights on.

auzdafluff Nov 27th 2012 5:26 am

Re: North of MoE
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10403030)
At night, with no lights in the buildings and nobody around it's spooky alright.

I like to see how far I'll drive with no lights on.

To be fair, there are plenty of people who do that anyway.

Scamp Nov 27th 2012 5:28 am

Re: North of MoE
 

Originally Posted by auzdafluff (Post 10403051)
To be fair, there are plenty of people who do that anyway.

That's very true, quite dangerous but considerably less annoying that the folk who drive without headlights but fog lights instead. I generally let them go past me and pull in behind with full beam. hahahah

auzdafluff Nov 27th 2012 6:10 am

Re: North of MoE
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10403053)
That's very true, quite dangerous but considerably less annoying that the folk who drive without headlights but fog lights instead. I generally let them go past me and pull in behind with full beam. hahahah

That only works if you're in a 4x4 though. Doesn't quite have the same effect if you're in a hatchback and try doing it to a 4x4.

My favourite is when someone tries to cut in without indicating, then when they're behind you, alternate your indicators (left, one second, right, one second, left, one second, right, one second).

Scamp Nov 27th 2012 8:30 am

Re: North of MoE
 

Originally Posted by auzdafluff (Post 10403083)
That only works if you're in a 4x4 though. Doesn't quite have the same effect if you're in a hatchback and try doing it to a 4x4.

My favourite is when someone tries to cut in without indicating, then when they're behind you, alternate your indicators (left, one second, right, one second, left, one second, right, one second).

I just hold my washer fluid on for ages.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:37 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.