British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Non smoking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/non-smoking-711834/)

kittycat1 Apr 2nd 2011 11:10 am

Non smoking

OK today is my first day as a non smoker- currently on 13 hours- but 6 of those I was asleep!

Must say I would really quite like one, luckily I don't have any in the house and am too hungover to venture outside.

Its ridiculous I could normally go this long and not smoke and be fine with it but knowing I can't is driving me mad! grrrrr!

Bahtatboy Apr 2nd 2011 11:14 am

Re: Non smoking

Don't ever say you've given up. Tell yourself and everyone else you're a non-smoker. Different mindset.

Good luck:D

Patsy Stoned Apr 2nd 2011 11:28 am

Take it a day at a time sweetie..I gave up in last June..at 1st you get a "brain wash" of needing a ciggie..just hold out for about a minute and it goes away..the longing gets less as the days go by.

Smoking lowers your metabolic rate and your body interprets the longing for a cigarette as hunger pangs, so try and eat good slow release carbs in the morning, like a big bowl of porridge and keep some healthy snacks in the fridge.

Keep active and be strong...well done xxx

shiva Apr 2nd 2011 12:14 pm

well done, as bahtat says youve havent given up anything youve gained.

if you havent already get a copy of allen carrs easy way brilliant help for non smokers ;)

the physical cravings are minimal the mental ones that are sneaky little ****ers so dont let your mind trick you

nottmbantam Apr 2nd 2011 12:17 pm

Keep it up, I've tried and failed several times and regretted the lapse every time. It is one of the toughest things you'll do, but as already said, one day at a time.

Best of luck, well done for even trying.

And at times like this, I trot out my perhaps most often used quote:

" Anyone can give up smoking. I've done it hundreds of times"
Mark Twain.

lionheart Apr 2nd 2011 12:41 pm

Congratulations, it's a filthy habit as you know perfectly well.:thumbup:

Hello.Kitty Apr 2nd 2011 3:53 pm

well done! Think of it this way - for every cigarette you don't have, you gain a bit in life-span!

shakh your bootie Apr 2nd 2011 10:42 pm

Have violently passionate sex every time you crave a smoke.

It will take your mind off things.

Norm_uk Apr 3rd 2011 7:00 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9281071)
Congratulations, it's a filthy habit as you know perfectly well.:thumbup:

Filthy habits? There are only filthy people in my experience...a nice person with bad habits will engage in them in private.

N.

lionheart Apr 3rd 2011 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9282184)
Filthy habits? There are only filthy people in my experience...a nice person with bad habits will engage in them in private. N.

No idea what you are talking about. Smoking is a filthy habit, simple.
http://www.stopsmokingfilthyhabit.co.uk/

Norm_uk Apr 3rd 2011 8:15 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9282191)
No idea what you are talking about. Smoking is a filthy habit, simple.
http://www.stopsmokingfilthyhabit.co.uk/

Why would that bother you if no one smokes around you or bothers others with their smoking?

As long as the right to smoke ends when the right not to be exposed to smoke I see no problem...in the UK for example, tobacco tax brings in GBP8-10 billion a year, yet smokers cost the NHS around GBP2-3 billion a year. Smokers are increasingly marginalised and told to stop despite this massive contribution to the nation's health.

The only issue I see is smokers who smoke in front of others without their consent...

N.

K8-notlate Apr 3rd 2011 1:25 pm

Congrats Kittycat - I stopped five years ago, and haven't looked back. The first few days will be the hardest.

DeadVim Apr 3rd 2011 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9282259)
Why would that bother you if no one smokes around you or bothers others with their smoking?

As long as the right to smoke ends when the right not to be exposed to smoke I see no problem...in the UK for example, tobacco tax brings in GBP8-10 billion a year, yet smokers cost the NHS around GBP2-3 billion a year. Smokers are increasingly marginalised and told to stop despite this massive contribution to the nation's health.

The only issue I see is smokers who smoke in front of others without their consent...

N.

Indeed, the main problem confronting a smoker trying to give up is the fear they will turn into a self-righteous non/ex-smoker.

The latter breed should be eradicated before serious health gains can be made, I pick lung cancer over being a publically ridiculous **** every day ...

Welivehere Apr 4th 2011 5:42 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9280972)
OK today is my first day as a non smoker!

Still hanging on in there?

kittycat1 Apr 4th 2011 7:13 am

Yep- on day 3- am using nicorette patches which I must say really help- although Im currently a tad peed off at work so trying to fight the urge
a- to kill someone
b- to go and smoke

Thank god ive got my trainer tonight- gonna box the **** out of him!