British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   NO tips anymore? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/no-tips-anymore-612316/)

deemi786 Jun 1st 2009 9:00 am

NO tips anymore?

Its been a few weeks now and everytime i go to tip the helper/packer in Waitrose and Spinny's they refuse it, i know it cant be the amount cause im tipping them 10/15 aed each time (trying to)

They not allowed to accept tips anymore?

commander Jun 1st 2009 9:10 am

Re: NO tips anymore?

Originally Posted by deemi786 (Post 7622419)
Its been a few weeks now and everytime i go to tip the helper/packer in Waitrose and Spinny's they refuse it, i know it cant be the amount cause im tipping them 10/15 aed each time (trying to)

They not allowed to accept tips anymore?

they were told a while back i believe that they couldnt accept tips..

shit eh..

TGFKASE Jun 1st 2009 9:13 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7622460)

shit eh..

Aye, just got used to that then went to Houston...

Thank ***** the waitresses knew me, else I wouldn't have been served anywhere till I got back into tipping-mode....

Grace O Malley Jun 1st 2009 9:20 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7622460)

shit eh..

yep ridiculous, the guys at spinneys khaladiya told me to leave it in the boot and then no one can see them accepting the tip.

shiva Jun 1st 2009 9:27 am

you've gotta love it when the gazillionaire owners of companys tell their piss poorly paid staff they cant accept tips.......wankers

diablo Jun 1st 2009 10:10 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7622535)
you've gotta love it when the gazillionaire owners of companys tell their piss poorly paid staff they cant accept tips.......wankers

surely the decision has to come from the top; but I would think that the initiative comes from those who don't get tips ... security, counters etc. they see those guys get some money and they don't ... i shake the hands and live the tip

deemi786 Jun 1st 2009 10:30 am

Originally Posted by diablo (Post 7622660)
surely the decision has to come from the top; but I would think that the initiative comes from those who don't get tips ... security, counters etc. they see those guys get some money and they don't ... i shake the hands and live the tip

i think its bullshit.......

I tried again about 10 mins ago and this time he accepted it only to be told by the manager to give it back to me.....

Madam Medusa Jun 1st 2009 10:45 am

spinneys had notices a couple of months ago informing customers that tips were no longer allowed because it is the job of these people specifically to pack bags...it is a total load of crap, like they begrudge these poor guys the few dirhams that they get extra...

MM, xx

commander Jun 1st 2009 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7622757)
spinneys had notices a couple of months ago informing customers that tips were no longer allowed because it is the job of these people specifically to pack bags...it is a total load of crap, like they begrudge these poor guys the few dirhams that they get extra...

MM, xx

yup thats where i saw it..

Spugsy Jun 1st 2009 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7622757)

MM, xx

It's shocking, tight bastards. I went to some place in Mizhar last week and got LOADS of stuff, the bags almost broke my wrists so the little indian dude insisted he carried them, he was puffing and panting but he did it, I gave him AED 20 and he could hardly believe his eyes.

That was probably his hours pay, poor ****ers. They must be so much more skinter so Spinneys stopped them taking tips, I mean what difference does it make? I've never felt obliged to tip.

shiva Jun 1st 2009 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7623309)
It's shocking, tight bastards. I went to some place in Mizhar last week and got LOADS of stuff, the bags almost broke my wrists so the little indian dude insisted he carried them, he was puffing and panting but he did it, I gave him AED 20 and he could hardly believe his eyes.

That was probably his hours pay, poor ****ers. They must be so much more skinter so Spinneys stopped them taking tips, I mean what difference does it make? I've never felt obliged to tip.

was probably closer to 2-3 hrs pay mate

glynster Jun 1st 2009 5:34 pm

Boycott the shops that are doing it or complain to the manager.Surely its up to the customer what they do with their money,******* managers tskk.