British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   No!! No!! Just....... DON'T!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/no-no-just-dont-778275/)

The Dean Nov 21st 2012 2:47 am

No!! No!! Just....... DON'T!!

:frown:

http://www.nme.com/news/lenny-kravitz/67282

:frown:

Miss Anne Thrope Nov 21st 2012 6:29 am

Re: No!! No!! Just....... DON'T!!

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10393542)

Hmmm, why not? I am a very big Marvin Gaye fan (can't pass a week without hearing Got to Give It Up - the funkiest song ever - and even still regularly play all of Here, My Dear). I don't particularly care for Lenny Kravitz - don't own or play any of his music but he is a fairly interesting and "progressive" character from what I know.

MG's life story is full of bizarre and interesting (ok, salacious) twists and Julien Temple and Kravitz might go places others would fear to tread....

Marvin's father, who shot him, was a flamboyantly effeminate preacher in a weird Old Testamnet church. His name was actually spelled Gay but he changed it because he was teased at school. His first wife was twice his age (and Berry Gordy's sister). His second wife was half his age. And he had a coke habit that would make Keith Richards seem like Nancy Reagan.

Ever listen to the very very very end of Sexual Healing, as it fades and catch Marvin ever so delicately crooning.."Please don't procrastinate, if you do I'll have to masturbate..."? Or listen carefully to the backing vocals of "Sanctified Lady" and realise that the original unedited track was actually "Sanctified P***y"? Sacred and profane in the same sentence - now there is a story worth telling...

The Dean Nov 21st 2012 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10393730)
Hmmm, why not? I am a very big Marvin Gaye fan (can't pass a week without hearing Got to Give It Up - the funkiest song ever - and even still regularly play all of Here, My Dear). I don't particularly care for Lenny Kravitz - don't own or play any of his music but he is a fairly interesting and "progressive" character from what I know.

MG's life story is full of bizarre and interesting (ok, salacious) twists and Julien Temple and Kravitz might go places others would fear to tread....

Marvin's father, who shot him, was a flamboyantly effeminate preacher in a weird Old Testamnet church. His name was actually spelled Gay but he changed it because he was teased at school. His first wife was twice his age (and Berry Gordy's sister). His second wife was half his age. And he had a coke habit that would make Keith Richards seem like Nancy Reagan.

Ever listen to the very very very end of Sexual Healing, as it fades and catch Marvin ever so delicately crooning.."Please don't procrastinate, if you do I'll have to masturbate..."? Or listen carefully to the backing vocals of "Sanctified Lady" and realise that the original unedited track was actually "Sanctified P***y"? Sacred and profane in the same sentence - now there is a story worth telling...

Glad you're a fan............ but nothing - NOTHING - can ever beat What's Going On, the finest 'black' album in history.............

I'd rather the film took the opposite approach - find a brilliant black actor who can also sing (there are plenty of them); the danger is that they will let Kravitz do the actual singing, and....... well, let's hope not........ not a 'soul' singer in any sense, and not one who could even begin to get MG's feel for a song (cf. your examples sung by Kravitz??? Er - no).

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 21st 2012 10:59 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10394119)
Glad you're a fan............ but nothing - NOTHING - can ever beat What's Going On, the finest 'black' album in history.............

I'd rather the film took the opposite approach - find a brilliant black actor who can also sing (there are plenty of them); the danger is that they will let Kravitz do the actual singing, and....... well, let's hope not........ not a 'soul' singer in any sense, and not one who could even begin to get MG's feel for a song (cf. your examples sung by Kravitz??? Er - no).

Those sorts of films are always shit anyway though, so it's kind of irrelevant.

(Apart from Walk the Line, that was epic)

Miss Anne Thrope Nov 21st 2012 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10394172)
Those sorts of films are always shit anyway though, so it's kind of irrelevant.

(Apart from Walk the Line, that was epic)

And Lady Sings the Blues. And the Ray Charles one. And Coalminer's Daughter. And Bird. And Nowhere Boy. And 'Round Midnight. And Velvet Goldmine....(ok, last two are "fictionalised" accounts based roughly on real life figures).

But all the rest are shite, oh, except La Bamba and La Vie en Rose....

And as for the singing, do you really go to a movie like this for the quality of the singing?

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 21st 2012 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10394298)
And Lady Sings the Blues. And the Ray Charles one. And Coalminer's Daughter. And Bird. And Nowhere Boy. And 'Round Midnight. And Velvet Goldmine....(ok, last two are "fictionalised" accounts based roughly on real life figures).

But all the rest are shite, oh, except La Bamba and La Vie en Rose....

And as for the singing, do you really go to a movie like this for the quality of the singing?

Ray Charles one, forgot that.

The rest you've listed I've never heard of, I'll give you a list of the crap ones though. Just bear with me.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 21st 2012 12:30 pm

Maybe I'm being a bit unfair actually.

Jailhouse rock is bollocks.

But I like Blues Brothers for the music (I know it doesn't really count)

Miss Anne Thrope Nov 21st 2012 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10394342)
Maybe I'm being a bit unfair actually.

Jailhouse rock is bollocks.

But I like Blues Brothers for the music (I know it doesn't really count)

But they are just musicals - I thought we were more specifically talking about music biopics here....

Miss Anne Thrope Nov 21st 2012 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10394326)
Ray Charles one, forgot that.

The rest you've listed I've never heard of, I'll give you a list of the crap ones though. Just bear with me.

Lady Sings the Blues - Billie Holliday
Coalminer's Daughter - Loretta Lynn
Bird - Charlie Parker (directed by Clint Eastwood)
Nowhere Boy - John Lennon (that's just from last year)
'Round Midnight - "Lester Young" (amazingly played by charismatic veteran saxophonist Dexter Gordon in his only ever acting role for which he deservedly received an Oscar nomination)
Velvet Goldmine - "Lou Reed"/"David Bowie"/"Marc Bolan"
La Bamba - Ritchie Valens
La Vie en Rose - Edith Piaf

I'm guessing most of that hasn't necessarily enlightened you given the age-frame generally involved....

The Dean Nov 22nd 2012 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10394555)
Lady Sings the Blues - Billie Holliday
Coalminer's Daughter - Loretta Lynn
Bird - Charlie Parker (directed by Clint Eastwood)
Nowhere Boy - John Lennon (that's just from last year)
'Round Midnight - "Lester Young" (amazingly played by charismatic veteran saxophonist Dexter Gordon in his only ever acting role for which he deservedly received an Oscar nomination)
Velvet Goldmine - "Lou Reed"/"David Bowie"/"Marc Bolan"
La Bamba - Ritchie Valens
La Vie en Rose - Edith Piaf

I'm guessing most of that hasn't necessarily enlightened you given the age-frame generally involved....

You rated 'Lady Sings The Blues'? Blimey........ you're the first......... [Deanetta rated Billy Dee Williams though, she tells me].

Miss Anne Thrope Nov 22nd 2012 4:55 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10395462)
You rated 'Lady Sings The Blues'? Blimey........ you're the first......... [Deanetta rated Billy Dee Williams though, she tells me].

Are you just slagging it off because of Diana Ross? Actually it's so long since I've seen it that I struggle to remember it except that I do remember enjoying it as a callow youth. Maybe that was something (a lot?) to do with Billy Dee in fairness...:o

Bahtatboy Nov 22nd 2012 7:18 am

Evita?

The Dean Nov 22nd 2012 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10395599)
Are you just slagging it off because of Diana Ross? Actually it's so long since I've seen it that I struggle to remember it except that I do remember enjoying it as a callow youth. Maybe that was something (a lot?) to do with Billy Dee in fairness...:o

I admit I am a Diana Ross hater (but that's mainly because I love soul :frown: music) but the whole film just seemed a bit disjointed to me - I guess I was expecting (wrongly) more of a 'tribute' type thing.

I'd forgotten Coal Miner's Daughter but I did enjoy it. Bird was the first time I ever saw Forest Whitaker who I like a lot.