No deal Brexit

Old Oct 17th 2018, 8:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: No deal Brexit

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think I'll have to go the UK on March 29th just to see what happens.
I just booked my Xmas flights and my return is 29th March (just in case more wedding venues need viewing, it's Easter hols for her and week after my birthday).

It would be certainly interesting to be in the UK and on the conveyor belt to sharks.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Very unlikely rumour (or fake news) but the latest is that May has a secret deal with SNP. They will abstain from the Brexit deal vote in exchange for a second Indy referendum.

If true it gives her a much bigger safety margin for DUP abstaining if they are being sold down the river. May will be gambling that she can win a second Scottish referendum. However, the risk is the Scottish Tories will go berserk, including Davidson and Mundell.

Rumours, rumours, rumours! Frankly, this one opens up too many cans of worms to even take seriously. Then again, we live in a time when every day seems to be opening a new can of worms.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Interesting, thanks for sharing. My Dad was always heart Yes, head No. He said he'd have voted no to independence if he'd had to. I think lots of people get swept up in popular protest and emotion / pride / belief but when it comes down to it, they are capable of stopping and thinking.

Like in America, one of the biggest turnaround voting groups was white, middle class women. All polling results said they'd vote Hilary. When in secret, they're total closet racists and voted Trump because they hate the Mexicans (etc) but couldn't possibly admit it in person. Classic.
I would have voted Yes if resident, my wife voted no as did most of my female friends and relatives. Almost all of my male friends and relatives voted Yes. I was on an Emirates flight to Glasgow that day and there was a mixed reaction when the Captain announced the result.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pongo

I would have voted Yes if resident, my wife voted no as did most of my female friends and relatives. Almost all of my male friends and relatives voted Yes. I was on an Emirates flight to Glasgow that day and there was a mixed reaction when the Captain announced the result.
like 52% happy and 48% not so?
Old Oct 18th 2018, 8:39 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Peston saying on FB/Twitter tonight that May has to choose between Party and Country. The EU won't back down on the backstop, and the only way to solve it is to keep the UK in the/a Customs Union. It could well get through Parliament with Labour support but that would not go down well with the ERG lot and could tear the Tory party asunder (boo-hoo). If she goes no deal...well, whether you believe it's Project Fear or not, it's XXXXXX risky and could end up with the UK splitting up.

Not a fan of hers at all, but I do not envy her right now!
Old Oct 19th 2018, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Peston saying on FB/Twitter tonight that May has to choose between Party and Country. The EU won't back down on the backstop, and the only way to solve it is to keep the UK in the/a Customs Union. It could well get through Parliament with Labour support but that would not go down well with the ERG lot and could tear the Tory party asunder (boo-hoo). If she goes no deal...well, whether you believe it's Project Fear or not, it's XXXXXX risky and could end up with the UK splitting up.

Not a fan of hers at all, but I do not envy her right now!
Labour ain't supporting whatever deal May negotiates with the EU. None of them bar a tiny handful including Corbyn want to leave. So they will also be putting party before country in voting down the deal. frankly, nobody will want the deal May comes up with, Tory or Labour or DUP or SNP. And that's the tricky bit.

I do tend to be amused at people accusing the opposite party of putting party before country. The truth is that different people have very different ideas for what's best for the country. ERG's stance is no more morally wrong or better than the arch-remaining diehard believers in the EU ideology. Just very different ideas for what's better for the country.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 8:54 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Labour ain't supporting whatever deal May negotiates with the EU. None of them bar a tiny handful including Corbyn want to leave. So they will also be putting party before country in voting down the deal. frankly, nobody will want the deal May comes up with, Tory or Labour or DUP or SNP. And that's the tricky bit.

I do tend to be amused at people accusing the opposite party of putting party before country. The truth is that different people have very different ideas for what's best for the country. ERG's stance is no more morally wrong or better than the arch-remaining diehard believers in the EU ideology. Just very different ideas for what's better for the country.
I don't believe for a minute the ERG have the country's best interests at heart at all. They are interested in making as much money as possible out of this situation, and the optimum position is to have a completely deregulated economy with lower standards and no workers rights and the NHS privatised. Kerr-ching!

But my commie opinion isn't important here. The only way this whole argument will be settled is for a full crash out and then we'll see what happens. If it goes terribly, the Tories are screwed. They're basically screwed whatever they do and they don't have the numbers to get anything through parliament. But this is all of their own doing, so my sympathy for them is somewhat limited. There's a good meme I've seen doing the rounds of a picture of the Tory cabinet with the words: "Promise everything, deliver nothing, blame everyone else". Bang on (and yes, it probably applies to every government ever, whatever colour tie they wear).
Old Oct 19th 2018, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
There's a good meme I've seen doing the rounds of a picture of the Tory cabinet with the words: "Promise everything, deliver nothing, blame everyone else". Bang on (and yes, it probably applies to every government ever, whatever colour tie they wear).
The ideal function of a democratic government. Keeps them from becoming troublesome so we can get on with life.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 11:23 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 20th 2018, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

i notice lots of remarks from those resident South of Tweed and Solway telling us in Scotland what we think and what we should do. The whole point of the New Politics in Scotland from the 1990 ois that we are realising that we should decide for ourselves - like grown-ups. Using abusive nicknames for the First Minister will not resolve anything, Mr Jammypants !
Old Oct 21st 2018, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
i notice lots of remarks from those resident South of Tweed and Solway telling us in Scotland what we think and what we should do. The whole point of the New Politics in Scotland from the 1990 ois that we are realising that we should decide for ourselves - like grown-ups. Using abusive nicknames for the First Minister will not resolve anything, Mr Jammypants !
Are you one of those cybernats?

Actually, come to think of it, I bet you are. Hiding behind your computer screen. It would explain a lot.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 5:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

From 1990 onwards we've allowed you to pick which days your bins get collected. I mean, what more do you want?
Old Oct 21st 2018, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know i'm from South of the Tweed?

I thought the 'Mack' bit in my user name would give you a clue to my heritage.....

As for Sturgeon, shes a right boot. Same mould as that snake oil salesman Salmond.

And why is there a fish theme for SNP leaders?
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 4:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jam25mack
And why is there a fish theme for SNP leaders?
Has Salmond got off the hook (geddit?) yet for those accusations?
Old Oct 29th 2018, 8:34 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Bit early for a Brexit deal, it'll be some time after March when the EU has optimum leverage to get the best deal based on past precedent. Also I expect there may be a series of interim deals to allow the British government to fall back progressively by applying pressure over an extended horizon. The EU want the best deal not to trigger a change in government.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.