British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The No-Beer Beer Garden (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/no-beer-beer-garden-713528/)

Bahtatboy Apr 16th 2011 5:06 am

The No-Beer Beer Garden

At the One-To-One. Its been turned into a shisha garden, complete with free Mexican barbecue in a hideous tent. The whole hotel has, apparently, been dry since 24 March because their licence was renewed. Maybe they went to the wrong department...

littlejimmy Apr 16th 2011 5:21 am

Re: The No-Beer Beer Garden

And to think we walked half an hour for that...

The non-fresh mango juice was nice, mind. I think anything wet would have been nice.

lullabelle Apr 16th 2011 7:04 am

That used to be my favourite thurs eve hang out as the kids could play and I could drink hoegarden. Hoegarden can give you very bad hedaches so drink sensibly y'all, hic.

According to various posts on abu dhabi women it's because they pissed off some important people.

Bahtatboy Apr 16th 2011 9:32 am

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9308339)
According to various posts on abu dhabi women it's because they pissed off some important people.

aka "went to the wrong department".

Millhouse Apr 16th 2011 1:21 pm

There was always something very wrong about that beer garden.

lullabelle Apr 16th 2011 1:32 pm

why??? It reminded me of a British pub garden which is why I quite liked it. Had a nice chilled vibe whenever I went there. It was the only place I found in Abu Dhabi where i could have a nice beer with the kids without going to a hotel bar, even though it was a hotel bar. If you know what I mean. Plus i love sitting outside when its possible.

Millhouse Apr 16th 2011 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9308762)
why??? It reminded me of a British pub garden which is why I quite liked it. Had a nice chilled vibe whenever I went there. It was the only place I found in Abu Dhabi where i could have a nice beer with the kids without going to a hotel bar, even though it was a hotel bar. If you know what I mean. Plus i love sitting outside when its possible.

1) Tables too close together
2) Council estate / Hungry Horse pub feel
3) Too many brits
4) Children

all in, just too "English" for me.

I admit, I'm a miserably sod though.

lullabelle Apr 16th 2011 2:04 pm

have you ever been in a pub on a council estate? I grew up on an evil estate in edinburgh (google niddrie) and i can promise you, the one and only is NOTHING like the pubs there... or even like the pub on the estate in north kensington where I subsequently grew up. Mind you that's a gastro pub now. Full of trustafarians instead of wastafarians.

I liked it cos there was such a mixed bag of people there - from the table full of celebrating teens to old folk like me to a rather sweet mentally disabled kid who danced furiously to every song the band played.

Millhouse Apr 16th 2011 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9308819)
have you ever been in a pub on a council estate? I grew up on an evil estate in edinburgh (google niddrie) and i can promise you, the one and only is NOTHING like the pubs there... or even like the pub on the estate in north kensington where I subsequently grew up. Mind you that's a gastro pub now. Full of trustafarians instead of wastafarians.

I liked it cos there was such a mixed bag of people there - from the table full of celebrating teens to old folk like me to a rather sweet mentally disabled kid who danced furiously to every song the band played.

Of course I have...

Ok ok, so it's not that bad. No agro, but just felt chavvy to me. There is something about that 'brits abroad' feel I just don't like.

Norm_uk Apr 16th 2011 2:45 pm

I was there just over a month ago - the service was terrible by any standard despite it not being at all busy and the food gave half the people on my table stomach problems the next day.

Silly place, I'll stick to the Brauhaus if I want to sit outside and have a beer.

N.

lullabelle Apr 16th 2011 3:47 pm

The four times I've been there I can honestly say I was surrounded by Lebanese and Indians. Not many Brits. But I was with my Spanish friends so maybe they decided to put us in the international section!

The food was crap - too true! I just liked the fact that I could drink hoegarden while the kids played. Easily pleased, me.

soukie Apr 16th 2011 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9308847)
Of course I have...

Ok ok, so it's not that bad. No agro, but just felt chavvy to me. There is something about that 'brits abroad' feel I just don't like.

Spot on - hated the beer garden from day one and it didn't feel right for Abu Dhabi. Attracted a few rough types and I understand that there was some trouble locally with some Geordie expats (women!) which killed it off completely.

Norm_uk Apr 17th 2011 8:11 am

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9308943)
The four times I've been there I can honestly say I was surrounded by Lebanese and Indians. Not many Brits. But I was with my Spanish friends so maybe they decided to put us in the international section!

The food was crap - too true! I just liked the fact that I could drink hoegarden while the kids played. Easily pleased, me.

Hoegarden isn't worth the effort - try Paulaner or Franziskaner Weisbier. The Belgians should stick to trappist Ales and Blonde beer and leave the Wheat beers to the Germans! ;)

N.

busybee2 Apr 17th 2011 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9308227)
At the One-To-One. Its been turned into a shisha garden, complete with free Mexican barbecue in a hideous tent. The whole hotel has, apparently, been dry since 24 March because their licence was renewed. Maybe they went to the wrong department...

i heard they had upset an important neighbour and their license was not renewed.

soukie Apr 17th 2011 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 9309767)
i heard they had upset an important neighbour and their license was not renewed.

Yes - noise from expats leaving in the early hours of the morning - brawling women in the street! Nice:rofl: