Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

NME's Top 50 Albums of the Decade

NME's Top 50 Albums of the Decade

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:35 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NME's Top 50 Albums of the Decade

Originally Posted by Autonomy

Muse - 'Knights Of Cydonia'
The only track in our Top 100 to feature galloping horses. This epic track closes the Teignmouth trio's 2006 album "Black Holes And Revelations".
Download Knights of Cydonia from iTunes Download Wonderwall from iTunes
A must-listen. Chris Wolstenholme's Rickenbacker bass has a wonderful bite in the bridge that is reminiscent of the very best Rush - though don't let that put you off, because Matt's vocals are much less an acquired taste. Muse's slipping prog rock under the nose of unsuspecting teenagers is ace. "Take A Bow" is also an excoriating diatribe that deserves to be played at 11. The galloping horses, I recently realised, are the horsemen of the Apocalpyse.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
To each their own... I've bolded those that I consider worthy of this list and of further listening. I'm also noticing the lack of Damon Alborn's Gorillaz project _Demon Days_ which I consider groundbreaking. In case y'all think I'm biased because Muse is one of my favourite bands, you will notice that I'm not including any of Snow Patrol's projects on this list, though I will say that _A Hundred Million Suns_ is miles better than _Eyes Open_ and that the Glaswegian supergroup the Reindeer Section's _Son Of Evil Reindeer_ is a great collaborative effort that deserves wider recognition. Muse's followup to _Absolution_, _Black Holes and Revelations_ is also well worth a listen.

Amy, who both embarrasses and delights her teenaged daughter by keeping up with new music.
and 90% of what you highlighted have what in common ?

are The Killers popular in the US ? They look very American rawk but sound nothing like it, can't imagine they'd go down too well in their home town
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:25 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy
and 90% of what you highlighted have what in common ?

are The Killers popular in the US ? They look very American rawk but sound nothing like it, can't imagine they'd go down too well in their home town
Strike the YYY's - can't stand them.

If you think I'm an American music afficionado you'd be dead wrong. Part of my choices are made based upon keeping up with newer music and were in reference to "pub quiz". Hence - Radiohead's _Kid A_ is something I am assuming most Brits have heard.

Of what I've highlighted:
7 are American bands (after striking the YYYs who were in the middle of a decent pack)
3 are British
1 is Canadian
and the four extra recommendations are all British.

I think The Strokes are better liked here than our other exports like the Scissor Sisters, Gwen Stefani, and earlier in the decade, the Polyphonic Spree, none of whom I can bear. A notable exception is Joanna Newsom, who's American, bigger in the UK than here, but is truly groundbreaking. Whether the ground she's breaking is your eardrums or unearthing your emotions is down to the listener. ;-) Hey - you hate Muse. I don't.

Last edited by snowbunny; Dec 2nd 2009 at 6:27 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:00 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

To each their own... I've bolded those that I consider worthy of this list and of further listening. I'm also noticing the lack of Damon Alborn's Gorillaz project _Demon Days_ which I consider groundbreaking. In case y'all think I'm biased because Muse is one of my favourite bands, you will notice that I'm not including any of Snow Patrol's projects on this list, though I will say that _A Hundred Million Suns_ is miles better than _Eyes Open_ and that the Glaswegian supergroup the Reindeer Section's _Son Of Evil Reindeer_ is a great collaborative effort that deserves wider recognition. Muse's followup to _Absolution_, _Black Holes and Revelations_ is also well worth a listen.

Amy, who both embarrasses and delights her teenaged daughter by keeping up with new music.
I love the reinder section.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:33 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I love the reinder section.
I should make my own list... but it would immediately be shot down in flames and I wouldn't get paid for doing it the way a journo would.

I like hooking people up with music they've not heard and would enjoy - and this is dependent on the person.

I made several members of the Section laugh when I pronounced for them the name of their first album in true Texas twang: _Y'all Get Scared Now, Ya Hear?_

Note to NOT recommend Muse to Sandboy. :-)
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:01 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

I should make my own list... but it would immediately be shot down in flames and I wouldn't get paid for doing it the way a journo would.

I like hooking people up with music they've not heard and would enjoy - and this is dependent on the person.

I made several members of the Section laugh when I pronounced for them the name of their first album in true Texas twang: _Y'all Get Scared Now, Ya Hear?_

Note to NOT recommend Muse to Sandboy. :-)
Muse are hit and miss for me, some tunes are brilliant, and some total wank.

I'm always up for new music, I download as much as I can all the time, just got the new CSS album, they're pretty damn good, last Jay Z album was decent , same for the last Dizzee Rascal album (despite me usually hating him) and the White Lies album was fûcking tremendous.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Muse were on Jonathan Ross last week.. I tried and failed to listen to them, didn't like it at all

but I hadn't heard about Reindeer Section so I'm off to give it a whirl - Glasgow has produced some marvellous music down the years
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:54 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Sandboy
Muse were on Jonathan Ross last week.. I tried and failed to listen to them, didn't like it at all

but I hadn't heard about Reindeer Section so I'm off to give it a whirl - Glasgow has produced some marvellous music down the years
you into malcolm middleton at all?

He's superb.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

That's the trouble with "Best Of..." lists - they quickly become "My Personal Favourites..." lists, which isn't the point at all.

The Beatles album commonly known as "The White Album" is widely regarded as one of the all-time great albums, but I can't stand it (I prefer their earlier fresher stuff, without the later too-clever cynicism).

Nevertheless I can see why people like it.

Shouldn't we be looking at lists like this in the same way? I'm even prepared to include Amy Whorehouse on that basis........
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:16 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by The Dean
That's the trouble with "Best Of..." lists - they quickly become "My Personal Favourites..." lists, which isn't the point at all.

Shouldn't we be looking at lists like this in the same way? I'm even prepared to include Amy Whorehouse on that basis........
I'd include Amy as well. I'm trying to look at it from the viewpoint of game-changing music that had a big impact - as I said earlier, I would never nominate one of my favourite band's albums for that list (Snow Patrol - the snow in snowbunny).

OTOH it's as cheeky as the Arctic Monkeys themselves to rank them so highly. Ah well. It's tough to do a best-of-the-decade list right at the end of that same decade. Time will make a better list.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 7:26 pm
why ayeeeee man!

The Beatles album commonly known as "The White Album" is widely regarded as one of the all-time great albums, but I can't stand it (I prefer their earlier fresher stuff, without the later too-clever cynicism).

Nevertheless I can see why people like it.

yup I'm not keen on the white album either.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

true......this should have been number 1 !

Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:32 am