British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Nightlife in Navi Mumbai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/nightlife-navi-mumbai-667479/)

Bahtatboy May 9th 2010 12:35 pm

Nightlife in Navi Mumbai

Off to Navi Mumbai this evening for a week.

Can anyone (other than Roadking) suggest good nightlife / expat bars? Not sure there's much in Navi Mumbai, so Mumbai proper would be ok. Anywhere between Indian versions of a sports bar up to Ally Pally is what I had in mind...;)

Bahtatboy May 10th 2010 2:11 pm

Re: Nightlife in Navi Mumbai

C'mon you lot, I'm getting bored here...

Roadking May 10th 2010 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8555306)
C'mon you lot, I'm getting bored here...

Pretend it's a retreat and chant. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmakemine abeermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bahtatboy May 10th 2010 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8555541)
Pretend it's a retreat and chant. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmakemine abeermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You can really go off someone very quickly, you now.

coffindodger May 11th 2010 8:31 am

Nice to see you reach the standards of the Allly Pally, and making that a high point !!

Bahtatboy May 13th 2010 5:40 am

Loosened the tongue of one of my local colleagues with a few beers last night, and he's promised to show me Navi Mumbai's darker side tonight. Watch this space.

80% of the housing between our office here and the hotel where I'm staying is slums, worse than depicted in Slumdog Millionnaire--saw an entire family this morning living by the side of the road with some filthy, holey rags thrown over some sticks for shelter. And yet the women emerging from this appalling, heart-rending squalor wear near-pristine, brightly-coloured saris and somehow manage to look fresh and energised. Thought provoking, but so, so sad.

co durham boy May 13th 2010 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8562201)
Loosened the tongue of one of my local colleagues with a few beers last night, and he's promised to show me Navi Mumbai's darker side tonight. Watch this space.

80% of the housing between our office here and the hotel where I'm staying is slums, worse than depicted in Slumdog Millionnaire--saw an entire family this morning living by the side of the road with some filthy, holey rags thrown over some sticks for shelter. And yet the women emerging from this appalling, heart-rending squalor wear near-pristine, brightly-coloured saris and somehow manage to look fresh and energised. Thought provoking, but so, so sad.

You sound like a middle class gap year student........whats next a month in a Kibbutz....

It's a pity it didn't provoke the thought of the Indian goverment.!

Bahtatboy May 14th 2010 8:18 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 8562718)
You sound like a middle class gap year student........whats next a month in a Kibbutz....

It's a pity it didn't provoke the thought of the Indian goverment.!

Merely observation, buddy. Agree that the government ought to do something.

Anyway, 45 minute drive into the sticks to find a really tawdry bar with 6 sad looking women who took turns to sing. Highlight (ha!) of the evening was exchanging about 2 quid to get a huge wad of crisp notes which one of the staff showered over the singer. I've never literally thrown money away before.

Too sad all round.:thumbdown:

lionheart May 14th 2010 10:24 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 8562718)

...and what's wrong with a month at a Kibbutz for a student? A very enlightening experience showing how real work is done.