British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Nice Outdoor location for lunch in Dubai? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/nice-outdoor-location-lunch-dubai-788589/)

StublueKPL Feb 25th 2013 7:49 am

Nice Outdoor location for lunch in Dubai?

Hi

Trying to find somewhere nice with outdoor seating for lunch today.

Any suggestions? Any type of food but will need to be licenced as the good lady has been working hard on flights and wants a glass of wine!!
willing to go to any location (im in the greens).

Used to like the creek yacht club but would like somewhere else.

thanks in advance

britexpat76 Feb 25th 2013 7:55 am

Re: Nice Outdoor location for lunch in Dubai?

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 10566833)
Hi

Trying to find somewhere nice with outdoor seating for lunch today.

Any suggestions? Any type of food but will need to be licenced as the good lady has been working hard on flights and wants a glass of wine!!
willing to go to any location (im in the greens).

Used to like the creek yacht club but would like somewhere else.

thanks in advance

Last time I was over I went and sat outside Mango Tree in Dubai Mall. Look out over the water, they do a 70/80 AED lunch time special and the food was great. I would recommend it.

DOHDUBMAN Feb 25th 2013 7:57 am

The yacht club at the marina is pretty good mate with great views

Blue Cat Feb 25th 2013 8:02 am

Anywhere at Souk Al Bahar really :)

StublueKPL Feb 25th 2013 8:06 am

thanks guys. speaking to the g/f just now to see what she fancies but i think the souk al bahar wins it.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 25th 2013 8:42 am

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 10566869)
thanks guys. speaking to the g/f just now to see what she fancies but i think the souk al bahar wins it.

Or at the Madinat? BBC, Barzar etc etc etc?

Or at Marine Resort in Jumeirah? There are a few good places in there.

Rosso at the Amwaj Rotana on JBR?

co durham boy Feb 25th 2013 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10566950)
Or at the Madinat? BBC, Barzar etc etc etc?

Or at Marine Resort in Jumeirah? There are a few good places in there.

Rosso at the Amwaj Rotana on JBR?

I was in that Rosso the other week , decent bar and great outside area .

What have they done with that traffic around that area , it's a proper mess , it's getting worse . Took me 30 mins to get round from the SZR to the Sheraton .

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 25th 2013 10:38 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10567145)
I was in that Rosso the other week , decent bar and great outside area .

What have they done with that traffic around that area , it's a proper mess , it's getting worse . Took me 30 mins to get round from the SZR to the Sheraton .

It's crazy isn't it. They're trying to cram the tram into it. It is just absolute chaos.

Rosso's decent but I never go because it's in the middle of a traffic nightmare.

co durham boy Feb 25th 2013 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10567169)
It's crazy isn't it. They're trying to cram the tram into it. It is just absolute chaos.

Rosso's decent but I never go because it's in the middle of a traffic nightmare.

They were building that tram system the last time i was working there , ran out of money and knocked Besix , another RTA scam for reduced rates .

Good bar though .

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 25th 2013 10:53 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10567182)
They were building that tram system the last time i was working there , ran out of money and knocked Besix , another RTA scam for reduced rates .

Good bar though .

Besix and Alstom are back on it and it's moving (the project, not trams).

Yeah, good bar, the outside sofas are lovely this time of year.

co durham boy Feb 25th 2013 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10567199)
Besix and Alstom are back on it and it's moving (the project, not trams).

Yeah, good bar, the outside sofas are lovely this time of year.

I remember when the head guy from Alstom flew in and told the RTA that he was going to rip everything out that they'd put in if they didn't get paid !

Big balls but they still didn't get paid !

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 25th 2013 11:03 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10567213)
I remember when the head guy from Alstom flew in and told the RTA that he was going to rip everything out that they'd put in if they didn't get paid !

Big balls but they still didn't get paid !

:rofl::rofl:

I interviewed a few of their seniro contracts guys in the UK who would regularly be in Europe for HO meetings, to be sent back to UK power projects with some nasty jobs to do.

One bloke said it got to the point that he was sending these bastard terms letters to other firms PP'ing his boss so the flack went straight past him!

Tight, contractual bastards.

Desert Dubliner Feb 25th 2013 9:03 pm

Boardwalk on the Creek. Lovely.

Kix Feb 25th 2013 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10567225)
:rofl::rofl:

I interviewed a few of their seniro contracts guys in the UK who would regularly be in Europe for HO meetings, to be sent back to UK power projects with some nasty jobs to do.

One bloke said it got to the point that he was sending these bastard terms letters to other firms PP'ing his boss so the flack went straight past him!

Tight, contractual bastards.

They are good at that aren't they. Contracts are very tricky to enforce in GCC, having just been shafted for $50k, I know.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10569298)
They are good at that aren't they. Contracts are very tricky to enforce in GCC, having just been shafted for $50k, I know.

These guys were ****ing ruthless. The controls that the HO in Europe (Is it Switzerland or Austria? Somewhere like that, I forget) put in place are just brutal.

Still, they're successful at what they do and I don't believe for a minute that big businesses got to where they are by being generous 1005 of the time.

StublueKPL Feb 26th 2013 6:14 am

Ended up in Mango Tree at the Souk al bahar.

nice location but food was very very poor. Im not a big fan of thai food but my g/f is. I thought it may just be my taste buds but she hardly touched hers as well. It was a good price for the lunch (80dhs for 2 courses) but if i had got that at night paying full price, i would not have been happy. Very bland.

Anyway, i guess thats why we try different places.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 6:15 am

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 10569907)

nice location but food was very very poor. Im not a big fan of thai food but my g/f is. I thought it may just be my taste buds but she hardly touched hers as well. It was a good price for the lunch (80dhs for 2 courses) but if i had got that at night paying full price, i would not have been happy. Very bland.

Anyway,

Been once, was alright but mightily expensive for din dins.

StublueKPL Feb 26th 2013 6:15 am

I meant to say thanks again for all the advice. apppreciate it

Blue Cat Feb 26th 2013 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10569913)
Been once, was alright but mightily expensive for din dins.

have you tried Shang Thai on SZR near Safa interchange, handy for where you are, good food and excellent pricing.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10569918)
have you tried Shang Thai on SZR near Safa interchange, handy for where you are, good food and excellent pricing.

No but i will. A new place has opened in Exec Towers (not Bobs Fish and Chips, although I'm going to work my way through thousands of nuggets soon)...it's an asian place; Chinese, Thai and Vietnamese. I'm hoping for great things.

Get paid this week so might treat the missus to Vietnamese at the Shangri La because she'll love that and deserves a treat.

britexpat76 Feb 26th 2013 6:32 am

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 10569907)

****, that was my suggestion........Sorry! We went 6 weeks ago, had a spicy chicken salad starter and then a beef main. It was spicy (almost too much) but good. Wonder if they have changed it as I like hot food and it tested me. The wine ain't bad and the views all right?! And 80 chips is reasonable.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 6:38 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10569946)
****, that was my suggestion........Sorry! We went 6 weeks ago, had a spicy chicken salad starter and then a beef main. It was spicy (almost too much) but good. Wonder if they have changed it as I like hot food and it tested me. The wine ain't bad and the views all right?! And 80 chips is reasonable.

80 chips is great. The bill for three of us for dinner was quite a lot more. Still, fountains are cool.

the_red_sheep Feb 26th 2013 7:04 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10569946)

My experiences there have been the same, in that the food was mouth numblingly spicy almost to the point it was inedible, and that was after they asked if I wanted toned down to be 'white man hot'. Like most places in Souk al Bahar I think its overpriced and average quality at best.

The whole of the upstairs in there is looking pretty dead these days, shame that can't get a few more bars and licensed restaurants up there and bring it along as an evening destination like Madinate Jumeriah.

Meow Feb 26th 2013 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10569941)
No but i will. A new place has opened in Exec Towers (not Bobs Fish and Chips, although I'm going to work my way through thousands of nuggets soon)...it's an asian place; Chinese, Thai and Vietnamese. I'm hoping for great things.

Get paid this week so might treat the missus to Vietnamese at the Shangri La because she'll love that and deserves a treat.

Have you been to Hanoi in JLT yet? We went a couple of weeks ago. It's a very basic place (a few hundred dirhams on decor would pay dividends), but the food was pretty good and reasonable in price. We'd go back.

Meow Feb 26th 2013 10:06 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10570010)
My experiences there have been the same, in that the food was mouth numblingly spicy almost to the point it was inedible, and that was after they asked if I wanted toned down to be 'white man hot'. Like most places in Souk al Bahar I think its overpriced and average quality at best.

The whole of the upstairs in there is looking pretty dead these days, shame that can't get a few more bars and licensed restaurants up there and bring it along as an evening destination like Madinate Jumeriah.

There are signs up of loads of the properties in Souk al Bahar saying such and such a restaurant coming soon, although that's been unchanged for a while now. It is a shame as it could be buzzing. I guess the rents are very high.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10570360)
Have you been to Hanoi in JLT yet? We went a couple of weeks ago. It's a very basic place (a few hundred dirhams on decor would pay dividends), but the food was pretty good and reasonable in price. We'd go back.

No, I'm never down this end of town with the mrs...I'm not sure Vietnamese for lunch will help me avoid the current 3pm slump.

Where in JLT is it?

Or am I going to get that bloody google thing.

In fact, I'll google it.

Blue Cat Feb 26th 2013 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10570367)
No, I'm never down this end of town with the mrs...I'm not sure Vietnamese for lunch will help me avoid the current 3pm slump.

Where in JLT is it?

Or am I going to get that bloody google thing.

In fact, I'll google it.

I think it is Cluster C, near the JLT Metro. Just got back from some amazing beef ribs at Texas Steakhouse, sat outside and saw a bit of the fountains.

the_red_sheep Feb 26th 2013 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10570364)
There are signs up of loads of the properties in Souk al Bahar saying such and such a restaurant coming soon, although that's been unchanged for a while now. It is a shame as it could be buzzing. I guess the rents are very high.

Yeah I noticed those the last few times I've walked over, I'm still doubtful as to whether they'll all open though, and if when they do if it mean others close as the footfall won't increase enough to sustain all.

The last couple of times I was in Left Bank it was painfully quiet, it used to be buzzing during happy hour, then they stopped having one! Not sure if the brunch is busy. Karma Cafe is still relatively busy, but also overly expensive.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10570381)
I think it is Cluster C, near the JLT Metro. Just got back from some amazing beef ribs at Texas Steakhouse, sat outside and saw a bit of the fountains.

silversilver Feb 26th 2013 5:52 pm

Talking of places not to race to for lunch or dinner.... I just had a pretty poor dining experience at Times of Arabia (Lebanese at the Madinat) It was in the 'Fine Dining' gold section of the Entertainer. Shish Tawouk 150 dhs - however buy one get one free. Lets just say give me my local Cedar Tree version any day - far superior and a quarter of the price! Excellent fine dining experiences so far - Frankies and Ronda Locatelli.

Desert Dubliner Feb 27th 2013 7:32 pm

Where can you get good kabsa in Dubai?