The NHS rocks

Old Sep 3rd 2011, 6:50 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The NHS rocks

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I've read about this before and am of the mind that it helps when people don't use condoms or other methods of safe sex. It seems that it's be promoted mostly in areas when they don't have proper access to condoms and good sex education.

In countries where we have condoms, proper testing and good education it would be rather useless I think.

In any case they are promoting it for adult men who can choose to mutilate themselves if they can't seem to stop shagging lots of people without condoms. I have no issue against adults doing with their bodies as they please - my gripe is fiddling with little kids who have not reached the age of consent...it's child abuse.

N.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I've read about this before and am of the mind that it helps when people don't use condoms or other methods of safe sex. It seems that it's be promoted mostly in areas when they don't have proper access to condoms and good sex education.

In countries where we have condoms, proper testing and good education it would be rather useless I think.

In any case they are promoting it for adult men who can choose to mutilate themselves if they can't seem to stop shagging lots of people without condoms. I have no issue against adults doing with their bodies as they please - my gripe is fiddling with little kids who have not reached the age of consent...it's child abuse.

N.
I would argue that in, especially most sub saharan countries with ridicolous aids levels, perhaps it would be wise to implement it at child birth if it was proven..as its a bit too late to do it once they are adults and have already been shagging around.

My yank firnds at school always seemed quite proud of their circumsised willies. And I've met yank girls who are perplexed about the non cut willy..

But yes, imposing anything whether physical or ideological on a kid does constitute child abuse in my mind as well.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:10 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I would argue that in, especially most sub saharan countries with ridicolous aids levels, perhaps it would be wise to implement it at child birth if it was proven..as its a bit too late to do it once they are adults and have already been shagging around.

My yank firnds at school always seemed quite proud of their circumsised willies. And I've met yank girls who are perplexed about the non cut willy..

But yes, imposing anything whether physical or ideological on a kid does constitute child abuse in my mind as well.
The reason for ridiculous AIDS levels is down to bad education, silly cultural ideas and poverty. I'd feel safer with a condom than no foreskin if I were into shagging everything in sight. The fact is that even if circumcision reduces the change of infection all this means is that a circumcised man has a potentially longer period of time/and more unprotected sexual encounters before he has HIV.

I see a huge danger telling uneducated men with odd traditions and cultures that circumcision protects against AIDS. This could actually increase HIV infections by loosening inhibitions.

As for the US - apparently infant mutilation is on the decline these days as it was only promoted in the first place as a way to prevent masturbation, by doctors like John Harvey Kellogg (yes the Corn Flakes chap), who also advocated racial segregation, eugenics and enemas for all sorts of ailments

N.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

The reason for ridiculous AIDS levels is down to bad education, silly cultural ideas and poverty. I'd feel safer with a condom than no foreskin if I were into shagging everything in sight. The fact is that even if circumcision reduces the change of infection all this means is that a circumcised man has a potentially longer period of time/and more unprotected sexual encounters before he has HIV.

I see a huge danger telling uneducated men with odd traditions and cultures that circumcision protects against AIDS. This could actually increase HIV infections by loosening inhibitions.

As for the US - apparently infant mutilation is on the decline these days as it was only promoted in the first place as a way to prevent masturbation, by doctors like John Harvey Kellogg (yes the Corn Flakes chap), who also advocated racial segregation, eugenics and enemas for all sorts of ailments

N.
What's silly about raping a virgin?? Everyone knows that this will cure AIDS.....

http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2002/april/virgin.htm
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I find it odd how they compare this to the genital mutilation in other cultures which is apparently illegal in Britain but we have thousands of boys a year under the age of consent having their foreskins mutilated in the name of religion and culture - all perfectly legal too.

N.
Not done on the NHS.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:44 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

N.
Especially that in most parts of the world HIV is driven by intravenous drug needle sharing especially in parts of Asia, the myth that still prevails that sex is the driver is outdated and kept going for all sorts of reasons.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthbum
Especially that in most parts of the world HIV is driven by intravenous drug needle sharing especially in parts of Asia, the myth that still prevails that sex is the driver is outdated and kept going for all sorts of reasons.
Sex is the driver in the "Western" world. Heterosexual more than homosexual.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 1:07 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Sex is the driver in the "Western" world. Heterosexual more than homosexual.
ohhhhhhhhh dear, another one believing the myths, I studied this at UNI for 2 years, the chances of contracting HIV from unprotected sex with an infected partner is works out at
Receptive penile-vaginal intercourse 2000 to 1 per unprotected sexual act with an infected partner.

Receptive anal intercourse 200 to 1 per unprotected sexual act with an infected partner.

Estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV by exposure route[32][33]
Exposure Route Estimated infections per 10,000
exposures to an infected source
Blood transfusion 9,000 (90%)[34]
Mother-to-child, including pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding (without treatment) 2,500 (25%)[35]
Mother-to-child, including pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding (with optimal treatment) 100-200 (1%-2%)[35]
Needle-sharing injection drug use 67 (.67%)[36]
Percutaneous needle stick 30 (.30%)[37]
Receptive anal intercourse (2009 and 2010 studies) 170 (1.7%)‡ [30–890][38] / 143 [48-285][33]
Receptive anal intercourse (based on data of a 1992 study) 50 (.5%)[39][40]
Insertive anal intercourse for uncircumcised men (2010 study) 62 (.62%)a [7-168][33]
Insertive anal intercourse for circumcised men (2010 study) 11 (.11%)a [2–24][33]
Insertive anal intercourse (based on data of a 1992 study) 6.5(.065%)[39][40]
Low-income country female-to-male 38 (.38%)‡ [13–110][38]
Low-income country male-to-female 30 (.3%)‡ [14–63][38]
Receptive penile-vaginal intercourse 10 (.1%)[39][40][41]
Insertive penile-vaginal intercourse 5 (.05%)[39][40]
Fellating a man 1 (.01%)†b[40]
Man being fellated 0.5 (.0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV

In Malaysia the large
majority of reported HIV infections have been among
IDU, who comprised 77% of the 14418 cases of HIV
infection

Really good article.
http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Ove...-East_Asia.pdf

Last edited by Perthbum; Sep 4th 2011 at 1:42 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 1:34 pm

Not done on the NHS.
Doesn't make it ok. The removal of functioning and healthy tissue from boys who cannot give their consent is child abuse, every bit as bad as doing it to a girl.

N.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

ohhhhhhhhh dear, another one believing the myths, I studied this at UNI for 2 years, the chances of contracting HIV from unprotected sex with an infected partner is works out at
Receptive penile-vaginal intercourse 2000 to 1 per unprotected sexual act with an infected partner.

Receptive anal intercourse 200 to 1 per unprotected sexual act with an infected partner.

Mother-to-child, including pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding (without treatment) 2,500 (25%)[35]
Mother-to-child, including pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding (with optimal treatment) 100-200 (1%-2%)[35]
Receptive anal intercourse (2009 and 2010 studies) 170 (1.7%)‡ [30–890][38] / 143 [48-285][33]
Insertive anal intercourse for uncircumcised men (2010 study) 62 (.62%)a [7-168][33]
Insertive anal intercourse for circumcised men (2010 study) 11 (.11%)a [2–24][33]

In Malaysia the large
infection

Really good article.
I've also seen some data that northern european males are less prone to contract hiv than men from other parts of the world. But yes, I was aware of the actual probability of catching aids through sex to be rather minisucle considering. I miss the days of being considered high risk due to the areas I resided in. It was interesting to listen to the locals talk about 'the sickness' however. A highly educated colleague of mine was convinced it was the work of the CIA. I really don't wish to tarnish the pope's good name, but pope john paul II came with some hideous messages as he stalked me around the world. Why they assume people won't have sex and peddle that message rather than admit most people will sin and provide the correct advice.

I do agree with you Norm_Uk about the ill educated populace. This is a problem not just pertaining to hiv/aids prevention, but a plethora of other problems. But I've been accused of being racist of pointing this out in the past by people whoi have never left the borders of their own countries, so know I share your pain of occasionally being a 'racist'. lol
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Doesn't make it ok. The removal of functioning and healthy tissue from boys who cannot give their consent is child abuse, every bit as bad as doing it to a girl.

N.
I'm with you on this!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In Malaysia the large
infection

Really good article.
I'd like to see your robust, peer-reviewed evidence please, not just links to wiki.

My comment was in the context of working as a UK doctor, including working in sexual health clinics.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I've also seen some data that northern european males are less prone to contract hiv than men from other parts of the world. But yes, I was aware of the actual probability of catching aids through sex to be rather minisucle considering. I miss the days of being considered high risk due to the areas I resided in. It was interesting to listen to the locals talk about 'the sickness' however. A highly educated colleague of mine was convinced it was the work of the CIA. I really don't wish to tarnish the pope's good name, but pope john paul II came with some hideous messages as he stalked me around the world. Why they assume people won't have sex and peddle that message rather than admit most people will sin and provide the correct advice.

I do agree with you Norm_Uk about the ill educated populace. This is a problem not just pertaining to hiv/aids prevention, but a plethora of other problems. But I've been accused of being racist of pointing this out in the past by people whoi have never left the borders of their own countries, so know I share your pain of occasionally being a 'racist'. lol
I remember when sex was safe, and rugby was dangerous.............
Old Sep 4th 2011, 5:54 pm
Banned

I'd like to see your robust, peer-reviewed evidence please, not just links to wiki.

My comment was in the context of working as a UK doctor, including working in sexual health clinics.
If you are a doctor ans have studied the 1000s of long term HIV transmission rates studies from around the world over the last 30 odd years you will know that the "1000 to 1" rate is accepted as the average conclusion of all the long term studies.
That is a women having vaginal unprotected sex with a HIV infected man.
You also would know that the chances of transmission go down the longer a person has HIV.
The reason that HIV transmission is higher in Africa is because of the poverty and general health of the people and with a high percentage of the population having other sexual transmitted disease's that cause open wounds where the virus can easily find a route into the blood stream, as you know HIV is actually very hard to catch in a healthy person through normal heterosexual sex, anal sex is a different matter as the thin walls of the anus can easily tear and allow transmission, the anus was not meant for a penis and does not have the thick rugged structure of the vagina, you will know this of course being a doctor.
p.s I am sure you can see my results from wilkepedia show where the studies came from.

Last edited by Perthbum; Sep 4th 2011 at 5:57 pm.