British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   News about the news (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/news-about-news-899345/)

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 10th 2017 12:08 pm

News about the news

Interestingly varied takes on what looks like a sad but juicy scandal in our dear sanctuary:

The National: well then, well then, even if there is something up with a senior at one of our rivals, we'd never stoop to reporting exactly what it was because we're too respectable, nudge, nudge, wink, wink

Gulf News: news, what news? Nothing to do with us mate even if there was any news. Which there's not. Look, look over here: no non-vegetarian meals on Air India shock horror....

Arabian Business: let's go whole hog lead with shamelessly ripped off sensation from the Fail online

IKnowNothing Jul 10th 2017 12:19 pm

Re: News about the news

I was wondering who would mention this, sadly if your wife dies in anything but clear cut circumstances, you're going to be arrested until the police sort out what happened.

They are also saying "Killed" not died. Who knows, they've been here 30 years+, you'd have thought if he wanted her topped he could have done it by now.

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 10th 2017 12:26 pm

My thought was a fit of rage, not pre-meditated, probably not intentional... It was the husband who called the police according to AB. You would think there must be something for AB to have gone so strongly. Also, the Gulf News site earlier did have a picture of the wife over a statement of sympathy from the current editor with no mention of the husband's detention. But it seems now even that has been removed. The National is just being too coy by half though.

IKnowNothing Jul 10th 2017 1:03 pm

Curiouser and curiouser as some hallucinating girl once said.

However, I agree with you, that's the only thing i can think of, unintentional, slipped, hit head, tiled floors?

Who knows.

Dubaiexile Jul 10th 2017 1:38 pm

One story in Gulf News this morning with a picture of her, but only sympathy being shown to all concerned.
Second update when they confirmed he was in custody.
Now story pulled altogether!
strange times...

al dente Jul 10th 2017 1:58 pm

Used to be in the business and forwarded the story to an old colleague of his. Not known for being a pleasant chap but now it remains to be seen if he's a real bastard.

Dubaiexile Jul 11th 2017 3:46 am

Story in the UK paper this morning, he has "confessed" to throwing a hammer at her which resulted in her death!!

Dubaiexile Jul 11th 2017 4:30 am

Here is a link for Gulf News updated.

Dubai editor charged with premeditated murder | GulfNews.com

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 11th 2017 4:41 am

How very sad.

jam25mack Jul 11th 2017 5:08 am

That guy is in all kinds of shit!

al dente Jul 11th 2017 5:13 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12291464)
That guy is in all kinds of shit!

And his poor wife has been killed (most likely by him) by a hammer. Awful.

IKnowNothing Jul 11th 2017 8:11 am

"Much respected member of the expat community" aka pissed Brit who beats his wife.

jam25mack Jul 11th 2017 8:14 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12291545)
"Much respected member of the expat community" aka pissed Brit who beats his wife.

I read that he passed a blood test and she was asleep.... as such the whole fit of rage thing is out and its now looking premeditated.

IKnowNothing Jul 11th 2017 8:21 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12291547)
I read that he passed a blood test and she was asleep.... as such the whole fit of rage thing is out and its now looking premeditated.

WTF was going through his head????

Ah yes, he said he was awoken by burglars who assaulted his wife.

That has more holes in it than Rab C. Nesbitt's vest.

mission Jul 11th 2017 8:34 am

is there a reason why this story is huge, other than the fact the alleged perpetrator worked for the Gulf News?