Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Millemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really nice
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
they truly have a dreadful reputation in the UAE, as a frequent user of many forums and twitter etc they never get any positive press at all. All of my friends put the phone down as soon as they hear who is calling. It's not good, it's not professional, be careful
Thank you for your comments I'll certainly take it on board.
I've heard some of the bad press but I put it down to the same old stuff that every company sufers from i.e. people are quick to complain but not to praise.
I've work for some huge companies in the UK who have similar amounts of bad press so I guess I decided (perhaps incorrectly) that this was the same sort of thing!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millemonkey
I've heard some of the bad press but I put it down to the same old stuff that every company sufers from i.e. people are quick to complain but not to praise.
I've work for some huge companies in the UK who have similar amounts of bad press so I guess I decided (perhaps incorrectly) that this was the same sort of thing!
Please take the blinkers off. This is not the same stuff that every company suffers from. I have seen far too many people come a cropper with that company, and a few others too...

If you really want to move to the UAE as an IFA, then PM me. Far better options exist.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

do you have to pay them money for your support team?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Millemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really nice

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
do you have to pay them money for your support team?
No I haven't had to pay a penny except for accommodation. The company has paid for my hotel for the first 2 weeks and I move into my apartment soon. My co-ordinator receives a salary and a small percentage of my commissions.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:34 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here 14 years and trust me I have never come across a company with such a bad reputation (apart from Government ones) than they have
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Scottyq8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.

Well due to move to Kuwait in around 2 weeks...finally visa process coming to an end.

Going to be on my own and would be great to start building new circle of friends to help me through what am sure will be roller coaster of emotions.
Also ofcourse any help in settling in.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi and welcome scotty
Old Nov 6th 2010, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

bornagain is just really nicebornagain is just really nicebornagain is just really nicebornagain is just really nicebornagain is just really nicebornagain is just really nicebornagain is just really nicebornagain is just really nice
Default Hello from Saudi Arabia

Mature male just moved to Yanbu, north of Jeddah in Saudi Arabia. Still tryong to meet people for socialization and fun. Age, race, nationality not important, just an open mind. Reach out to a lonely, single man.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hippacrocapig will become famous soon enoughHippacrocapig will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone
Recommended this forum from an expat friend in Dubai. I've been lurking/reading for weeks now but thought I'd take the plunge so to speak!
Hubby is in Riyadh and I will be joining him next year some time. I am in no doubt that I will find all the answers to my questions already on here! If I need help I guess I'll just holler..
Currently living on the South Downs but orginially from Clywd.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Scottyq8 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Hippacrocapig;8965760] Hi, I live in Flintshire whioch ofcourse was Clwyd a few years ago. Waiting on final dates to go to Kuwait. Celebrating Christmas tomorrow hehe
Old Nov 7th 2010, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hippacrocapig will become famous soon enoughHippacrocapig will become famous soon enough

Hi Scotty..... It'll always be Clywd to me!!
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:15 am
Just Joined

huntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nice

Hi, Been looking about the site for a few weeks now. My husband and I are going to be moving out to Dubai by the New Year from Aberdeenshire. Trying to figure out which area to move to....I have read on the site that dubai marina is a good place to live? Also im 5 months pregnant so a "family-ish" area would be good.

Just thought id say hello anyway! Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:28 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huntlygirl
Hi, Been looking about the site for a few weeks now. My husband and I are going to be moving out to Dubai by the New Year from Aberdeenshire. Trying to figure out which area to move to....I have read on the site that dubai marina is a good place to live? Also im 5 months pregnant so a "family-ish" area would be good.

Just thought id say hello anyway! Hope everyone is having a good day.
Really depends what sort of place you are looking for. The whole JBR/Marina area seams popular with families if you want an apartment. By the sea, shops and cafes etc, would be my choice if an apartment suited me... which it doesn't.

Then you have new Dubai; Arabian Ranches, Springs, Meadows all have villas in gated style villages. Or Mirdiff which has it's supporters and not.

Then you have the older style places in Jumeirah and Umm Sequim; the original expat area of Dubai.

Post your needs, budget and what lifestyle you are after then be prepared for conflicting suggestions.

Welcome to the Bored.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 8:23 am
Just Joined

huntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nicehuntlygirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Roadking
Really depends what sort of place you are looking for. The whole JBR/Marina area seams popular with families if you want an apartment. By the sea, shops and cafes etc, would be my choice if an apartment suited me... which it doesn't.

Then you have new Dubai; Arabian Ranches, Springs, Meadows all have villas in gated style villages. Or Mirdiff which has it's supporters and not.

Then you have the older style places in Jumeirah and Umm Sequim; the original expat area of Dubai.

Post your needs, budget and what lifestyle you are after then be prepared for conflicting suggestions.

Welcome to the Bored.
Hi Roadking. What I want and what may be affordable may be 2 different things (given i know nothing about how expensive things are over there). We will be given a housing allowance from my husbands company of 100,000 AED pa. I really dont know what we can afford for this, any advice would be appreciated. The only real need is 2 bedrooms. the following are "would likes" if budget allows... Family area, close to shops, cafes, close to the beach would be nice, not too busy (traffic wise). I have read that there arent really "bad" areas in Dubai (maybe rose tinted specs on tho). I'd want to feel safe walking about the area with a baby.

God reading this back it sounds a bit demanding. Realistically we only need 2 bedrooms. Do you think the bidget would allow any of this?
Old Nov 8th 2010, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huntlygirl
Hi Roadking. What I want and what may be affordable may be 2 different things (given i know nothing about how expensive things are over there). We will be given a housing allowance from my husbands company of 100,000 AED pa. I really dont know what we can afford for this, any advice would be appreciated. The only real need is 2 bedrooms. the following are "would likes" if budget allows... Family area, close to shops, cafes, close to the beach would be nice, not too busy (traffic wise). I have read that there arent really "bad" areas in Dubai (maybe rose tinted specs on tho). I'd want to feel safe walking about the area with a baby.

God reading this back it sounds a bit demanding. Realistically we only need 2 bedrooms. Do you think the bidget would allow any of this?
Post this in the main forum and you will get a lot more responses...

but, my takes on it, 100k will get you a 2 bed flat, or a 2 bed villa house in the springs / ranches.

personally, and having gone through the cabin fever of having a kid in a flat, I'd choose the house.

look at www.dubizzle.com

As for no bad areas in Dubai... there are no 'rough areas' but plenty of areas you won't want to live. walking here is hard, if you want a local park to play in / walk around then you need to move to the springs / ranches - if you want shops, head for the marina.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.