Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:07 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by KittyKat79
hahahaha....not a huge syringe per se, well almost.... Lets just say collecting the samples is erm, interesting and thankfully not part of my job

Its certainly an interesting job, strangely enough not too much contact with the locals. We have our own research herd, but the locals do bring camels to a sort of 'camel clinic' we have once a week. They don't tend to talk to me (probably because I don't speak arabic) but they do tend to stare! That is happening less and less though, I guess the novalty of a blonde in the lab has worn off...
oh, I don't even want to think about 'the samples'...
so are you at Nad al Sheba then...I used to take a shortcut through there all the time and saw loads of camels each time, but now with all the new roads I never go there anymore...
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:26 am
Just Joined

KittyKat79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MataHari
oh, I don't even want to think about 'the samples'...
so are you at Nad al Sheba then...I used to take a shortcut through there all the time and saw loads of camels each time, but now with all the new roads I never go there anymore...
I wish we were at Nad al Sheba! We're out past Al Awir surrounded by sand dunes, quite literally in the middle of nowhere... Makes for an interesting daily drive from Satwa. Haven't seen any camels in the back of a toyota pick up for a while though...

Might pop down to Nad al Sheba and visit a friend, will keep my eye out for camels. Last time all I saw were horses - though I was at the racing stables

On an entirely different subject - suggestions for where to buy a decent but cheap BBQ? Being Australian one simply can't exist without one... Microwave is on the list too.... Been looking on dubizzle... Might just have to take myself off to Carrefour and buy one...
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:47 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KittyKat79
I wish we were at Nad al Sheba! We're out past Al Awir surrounded by sand dunes, quite literally in the middle of nowhere... Makes for an interesting daily drive from Satwa. Haven't seen any camels in the back of a toyota pick up for a while though...

Might pop down to Nad al Sheba and visit a friend, will keep my eye out for camels. Last time all I saw were horses - though I was at the racing stables

On an entirely different subject - suggestions for where to buy a decent but cheap BBQ? Being Australian one simply can't exist without one... Microwave is on the list too.... Been looking on dubizzle... Might just have to take myself off to Carrefour and buy one...
the camel racing used to be at Nad al Sheba, and there were loads of camel pens and what was called the camel souk where they sold those blue and white blankets and other camel related stuff...not sure if it's still there...

Carrefour is good for microwaves...no idea about bbqs, think they will sell those as well, or maybe the Dubai Garden Centre on Sheikh Zayed Road, although those will be expensive, oh and Ace will defo sell them as well.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:34 am
Just Joined

KittyKat79 is an unknown quantity at this point

the camel racing used to be at Nad al Sheba, and there were loads of camel pens and what was called the camel souk where they sold those blue and white blankets and other camel related stuff...not sure if it's still there...

Carrefour is good for microwaves...no idea about bbqs, think they will sell those as well, or maybe the Dubai Garden Centre on Sheikh Zayed Road, although those will be expensive, oh and Ace will defo sell them as well.
I'll have to find out about the camel souk - could be interesting... And yes, I have a small collection of camel things at home. I suppose its better than having a collection of spermy things at home

Will check out Carrefour on the weekend, well friday morning - I remember what friday afternoons were like! I think this weekend will be sorting out the BBQ, microwave and 'garden' - I've been living in hope of growing some vegies on my balcony. Could be interesting with the amount of sand and dirt on it... Maybe I should just stick to cactus- can't kill them!
Old Dec 26th 2009, 3:00 am
Just Joined

pochakola is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I've actually been trolling this forum on and off for a while now...I'd come here to sorta reminisce and live in Saudi vicariously through u guys. I'm Bengali and wasn't sure if I should be here... *ducks* so never joined...

My parents moved to Riyadh back in the 80's so I was born and raised there until I moved to Waterloo, Ontario to go to school.

I realized it was a bad move on my part and that i don't enjoy what I've been studying at all and want to move back to Riyadh hopefully by fall 2010

Thing is when I was in Riyadh the last time... i never really lived the culture... hopefully that'll change this time around
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pochakola
I've actually been trolling this forum on and off for a while now...I'd come here to sorta reminisce and live in Saudi vicariously through u guys. I'm Bengali and wasn't sure if I should be here... *ducks* so never joined...
Welcome to BE

Don't worry about not being a Brit, plenty who aren't
Old Dec 29th 2009, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

saeed409 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hi

My work has brought to me to Riyadh from Manchester. (and yes I do support the Red Devils - Man Utd)

Its been a tough few weeks getting used to the hectic driving style here (and on the other side of the Road)

We are slowly adjusting (me and wife)

Employers have provided an apartment near Olya Street (its great)

Hope to chat to you all!

Bye
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:40 am
Just Joined

toughinthegulf is an unknown quantity at this point

HI All - Newbie intro.........always wanted to join the site but never got around to it. there is a whealth of information here that i never knew existed and now i need it i am ready to help where i can.

the name is James, mid forties, expat for 24 years, in ME for almost 20. Love it, hate it, left and gone back left again and now about to go back! I must be mad.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 2:19 am
Just Joined

gregnbaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Just signed up and thought I'd drop in and say hello. I'm a 25 yr old guy moving from London to Abu Dhabi for 6 months in mid-Feb....currently in the midst of visas, flights, shipping and lots of other exciting tasks!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toughinthegulf
HI All - Newbie intro.........always wanted to join the site but never got around to it. there is a whealth of information here that i never knew existed and now i need it i am ready to help where i can.

the name is James, mid forties, expat for 24 years, in ME for almost 20. Love it, hate it, left and gone back left again and now about to go back! I must be mad.
Originally Posted by gregnbaker
Just signed up and thought I'd drop in and say hello. I'm a 25 yr old guy moving from London to Abu Dhabi for 6 months in mid-Feb....currently in the midst of visas, flights, shipping and lots of other exciting tasks!
welcome to the board, guys...it's a bit quiet at the moment, maybe you can liven things up a bit...

MM, xx
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:09 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
welcome to the board, guys...it's a bit quiet at the moment, maybe you can liven things up a bit...

MM, xx
what she really means to say is that there's a bunch of boring twats posting nowadays and hopefully you'll prove to be different...welcome
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

what she really means to say is that there's a bunch of boring twats posting nowadays and hopefully you'll prove to be different...welcome
well, we can always live in hope...

MM, xx
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:24 am
Just Joined

spencer1949 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everybody. I am new to the site and find it very interesting. My name is Tracey, divorced, dont want to give my age but the clue is in my forum name! Live in Dubai, been here almost 15 years, 2 kids in school in the UK. Tired of the sand storms and dust but dont want the snow either. Hope to have fun here. T.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:25 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by spencer1949
Hi Everybody. I am new to the site and find it very interesting. My name is Tracey, divorced, dont want to give my age but the clue is in my forum name! Live in Dubai, been here almost 15 years, 2 kids in school in the UK. Tired of the sand storms and dust but dont want the snow either. Hope to have fun here. T.
Tracey...is that a girls name?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:27 am
Just Joined

toughinthegulf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
well, we can always live in hope...

MM, xx
Thanks for the welcome - Sounds like a challenge! How can i help??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.