Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old May 5th 2013, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by MaxH1989
Hey,
I'm Max, 24 and still looking for an apartment to share in Dubai.

I'd interested in playing 7s rugby or rowing while out here.
I windsurf a lot at home but will probably try surfing out here because of the lack of wind!

Anyone know of any good clubs for my interests?
There's a lot more wind than waves in Dubai. Windsurfing is far more popular here than surfing.
Old May 5th 2013, 8:32 am
Just Joined

MaxH1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mogs
There's a lot more wind than waves in Dubai. Windsurfing is far more popular here than surfing.
Really, Do you do it yourself? Do you know if there is a club or group I could join to get in contact with other windsurfers then?

cheers
Old May 5th 2013, 8:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Really, Do you do it yourself? Do you know if there is a club or group I could join to get in contact with other windsurfers then?

cheers
Just google 'windsurfing Dubai' for a load of useful links...
Old May 5th 2013, 8:49 am
Just Joined

MaxH1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hmmm,
Just reading that experienced windsurfers generally move in Kitesurfing in Dubai due to the light winds here which is what I though initially.
Also the surf is in the winter but nothing in the summer.
Old May 5th 2013, 9:17 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm,
Just reading that experienced windsurfers generally move in Kitesurfing in Dubai due to the light winds here which is what I though initially.
That's exactly how you want it. Believe me, anything remotely energetic in summer is no fun.
Old May 5th 2013, 9:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Hmmm,
As far as I can tell, I've never seen a swell good enough to warrant surfing. The beaches don't seem have the ability to regulate the waves so they come in in nice sets. It's normally just a crash of white water, too close together and often coming at different angles.

I'd love to be proved otherwise because it's one thing I really miss.
Old May 5th 2013, 9:21 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
As far as I can tell, I've never seen a swell good enough to warrant surfing. The beaches don't seem have the ability to regulate the waves so they come in in nice sets. It's normally just a crash of white water, too close together and often coming at different angles.

I'd love to be proved otherwise because it's one thing I really miss.
Have you tried the East Coast? Bigger waves as that's the Indian Ocean rather than the Gulf.
Old May 5th 2013, 9:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
Have you tried the East Coast? Bigger waves as that's the Indian Ocean rather than the Gulf.
No, but I will...thanks

I sold my board before moving here because it seemed a non starter
Old May 7th 2013, 9:49 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

No, but I will...thanks

I sold my board before moving here because it seemed a non starter
http://www.surfersofdubai.com/

http://www.surfingdubai.com/
Old May 7th 2013, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Thanking you.
Old May 7th 2013, 2:26 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Thanking you.
Surprised you hadn't looked before tbh. When there was that hurricane of the Omani coast a couple of years ago a ton of folk went surfing. Forums seen dead but I know there are a fair few surfers in town.
Old May 7th 2013, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiva
Surprised you hadn't looked before tbh. When there was that hurricane of the Omani coast a couple of years ago a ton of folk went surfing. Forums seen dead but I know there are a fair few surfers in town.
I did when I first got here but just never followed it up.

I remember driving to Devon for the swell from hurricane Charlie in the states. 4hr drive, quick tent pitch, beers, surf all day the next and get up early the next day, few hours then boot it back for Sunday dinner. Awesome.
Old May 9th 2013, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

still got the scar on my shoulder from being dumped on the east coast after the last storm

drinking 5 pints and going for a swim in the big waves isn't big or clever folks

but they did close the beach after that
Old May 11th 2013, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Randy Bender is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! I'm Randy! Randy Bender! I work in Saudi! And I put an exclamation mark at the end of every sentence! For emphasis!
Old May 13th 2013, 7:16 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Randy Bender
Hi! I'm Randy! Randy Bender! I work in Saudi! And I put an exclamation mark at the end of every sentence! For emphasis!
Jack the Twat and the decrepit Scottish school teacher do that as well, don't worry about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.