Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:23 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by Scamp
Not legally (at least in Dubai)...although there are ways...
I never had one in DBX or AD and didn't need one. Here there is no way around it if you want bona fide grog. Unless you know a sympathetic expat that is.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Geordie1968 has a brilliant futureGeordie1968 has a brilliant futureGeordie1968 has a brilliant futureGeordie1968 has a brilliant futureGeordie1968 has a brilliant futureGeordie1968 has a brilliant future

Cheers for the excellent advice fellas, it's late here now so gonna hit the scratcher. Catch ya very soon!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Desert Max is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I'm a 30s male, just arrived here in Riyadh, living off compound. Looking forward to meeting some people for a laugh, I'm into sport and playing music and always up for trying new things. Hope to make a few friends here!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:50 am
Just Joined

vickibowen5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by JLF1970
Hi there,

I'm Jason from the UK. I joined the forum a few days.....and I must say, wow what a friendly bunch and an invaluable source of information and inspiration!
I'm thinking of moving to Abu Dhabi with my wife and daughter after a job offer. My wifes not quite sure, it would be a big step for all of us, so I suppose we're looking for reassurance and lots of info. Just waiting for contract details to arrive so doing as much research as possible.
Hi to everyone again and thanks in advance to all the questions we'll probably be asking ;-)

Hi JLF1970 - I wondered if your wife took the plunge with your daughter. I live in Abu Dhabi with my daughter after following my husband here. My husband was here 9months before we moved over in Nov 2012. If your wife comes over and needs a friendly face, please pm me
Old Apr 14th 2013, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Pratteler is an unknown quantity at this point

Just joined to ask a practical question about sending a gift to my grandson in Dubai. I am an interloper from Switzerland where we have a very active online community, of which I am vocal member. We often get visits from people asking for practical info about Switzerland (particularly adventurous tourists) so I thought you would not mind a visit from me!

Visited Dubai once, 35 years ago. Would I recognise anything?? Probably not.

Regards to all from a finally warming up Leysin,above Lake Geneva.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

krado is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all in the Sand pit.. Just a very quick hello from a recent arrival to Ar-Riyadh KSA. Slowly adjusting to the way of life here and little doubt the it is different to London or indeed the rolling Chiltern hills of Buckinghamshire. On my Jackjones with family left back at home . Looking forward to a 1year stint here in the desert and depending how things pan out, maybe a little longer . Got sorted out with mobile Wifi sim and router yesterday at the STC shop with 5 gig of data for SR250. they were very helpful . Well chuffed with that as I can now use my phones gps, Skype,wazssssapp and viber on the go without the horrid roaming data charges from O2. From the west of Ireland originally (burrrr and V wet) but have called the SE of England my home in for over 22 years. Do feel free to get in touch.. cheerio K
Old Apr 17th 2013, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Not legally (at least in Dubai)...although there are ways...
Barracuda is legal isn't it? Going there Friday, hic!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 5:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mikewot
Yeah, it must be.

Drove back along the 611 because apparently that bypasses potential Sharjah issues...although other people say Sharjah can't do anything. Don't know who to believe.

Downside was we were followed by two police cars on the dual carriageway bit all the way up to the start of the 611!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 9:02 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
You can buy it thre, but it's still illegal to have alcohol in your home if you don't have a booze licence.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 9:34 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
You can buy it thre, but it's still illegal to have alcohol in your home if you don't have a booze licence.
And in your car?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
And in your car?
Using your car as a drinks cabinet? Probably!

I though it was also technically illegal to transport booze through Sharjah, even though everyone does.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 11:11 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Meow
Using your car as a drinks cabinet? Probably!

I though it was also technically illegal to transport booze through Sharjah, even though everyone does.
True, That's what I meant. Here with your license you are only allowed to drive from shop to home, and you have to keep it discreet.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
True, That's what I meant. Here with your license you are only allowed to drive from shop to home, and you have to keep it discreet.
when the Dubai licence was paper it said exactly the same - from the licensed shop to home, I guess the application form says it now

coppers are not the problem, it's the barracuda bandits following you and nudging the car then asking for cash rather than call the cops

happened to 2 lads I worked with - front them up and they piss off
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:12 am
Just Joined

jonk87 is an unknown quantity at this point

25 year old male Geordie working in Marketing full-time starting May 1. I'll be over a little earlier and am looking for a room or a person to share an apartment with.

Would love to meet football fans or anyone interested in a few beers at the weekend.

Wanting to work hard and enjoy the weekends on the beach or at hotel pools.

Get in touch. Twitter is ***** or FB message me edited

Last edited by mikewot; Apr 27th 2013 at 5:04 pm. Reason: Posting personal details
Old May 5th 2013, 6:56 am
Just Joined

MaxH1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,
I'm Max, 24 and still looking for an apartment to share in Dubai.

I'd interested in playing 7s rugby or rowing while out here.
I windsurf a lot at home but will probably try surfing out here because of the lack of wind!

Anyone know of any good clubs for my interests?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.