Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old May 12th 2012, 2:01 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by njwhite
Hey guys, my name is Neil and im 23 years old.

I live in Dubai, an im looking to meet some expats over here, any1 interested ?

Cheers
I think you'll need to be a little more specific. What type of expats? Expats come in all shapes, sizes, colours, nationalities, genders and with different interests.

It's hard not to meet expats generally on a day to day basis as we vastly outnumber the locals...
Old May 12th 2012, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

njwhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
I think you'll need to be a little more specific. What type of expats? Expats come in all shapes, sizes, colours, nationalities, genders and with different interests.

It's hard not to meet expats generally on a day to day basis as we vastly outnumber the locals...

Well nationality isnt really an issues. Just in general i guess, girls and guys around my age-ish. ?
Old May 12th 2012, 2:19 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njwhite
Well nationality isnt really an issues. Just in general i guess, girls and guys around my age-ish. ?
You've not been reading this forum then?
Old May 14th 2012, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really nice

Hi all, Im Chris, i havnt quite moved overseas yet but it is my aim to with my girlfriend and almost 4 year old son. Abu dhabi/Dubai is where iv been applying.

Chris
Old May 14th 2012, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

njwhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Dubai's the place to be mate!
Old May 14th 2012, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really nice

there is a job in dubai but not till later in the year...i have an interview in 2 weeks for a job in abu dhabi....iv put all that in another post tho.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

desertfox52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Evening

For both of thoses places make sure you have done all your sums to get the package that makes the job a viable one.
Living costs can vary enormously depending on the type of package that you are negotiating.
Make sure as much as possible is on the employer ie Accomodation, transport, medical, flights, insurance, school fees all house bills etc.
Any info required please feel free to ask -- ex pat of 35 years experience 80% middle east
Regards
Trevor
Old May 14th 2012, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers mate, i didnt want to ask in here didnt think this section was for that, basically i really want to move overseas and i have a contact who is currently in china but will be in dubai later this year or next, in the mean time however he has got me sorted with an interview for a job on a project in abu dhabi.... the interview is in 2 weeks, all i know at the minute is the wage will be between £45k - £52, accomodation not included, but medical insurance, visa, flight home and 30 days holiday a year plus end of job gratuity. I realise this may not be the best but im not goin over to party im goin over to live with my family and if i got to start at the bottom so to speak and work my way up i will... i just want to know if i can live with my family on that wage and have a nice enough house etc... some of the things iam reading on here would suggest not.
Maybe go out on my own for a bit? Would be harder to settle that way?

Last edited by ChrisH3; May 14th 2012 at 9:31 pm.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Chris- welcome- and congratulations- well I'm assuming you will be marrying your gf if you plan on living together, and hope your the babies daddy(which I assume you are as you reffered to them as your family otherwise there will be a bit more paperwork for her getting a letter of no objection from the daddy)- its the only way you'll be able to sponsor them unless she is also getting a job out here. I love a good wedding- post the piccies :-)
Old May 16th 2012, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hi kittykat! If thats what needs to be done then id do it straght away, however on abother post that iv got on here iam starting to get 2nd thoughts about it all!! My head is done in!
Old May 17th 2012, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Chris- as long as the money is right just do it- you won't regret it and worst case scenario if it doesnt work out you can leave!
Old May 17th 2012, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Ur the first to say that!! Have u read the other post? Honest i want to just seem to be all negative things about it
Old May 18th 2012, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

oh ok Chris, no I haven't read the other post as its too long- short attention span here! in that case ignore me and listen to the wise old buggers on here! Yuo should get married anyway though- the fact that you didn't flinch is nice- do it anyway :-)what are you waiting for?
Old May 21st 2012, 10:44 am
Just Joined

1590tamara is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
Moving to Abu Dhabi from England at the beginning of August to teach. Thought I'd try to meet some people before I go as coming on my own (cue sympathy) and would like to make some friends to hang out with when I am there.
Hope to hear from some of you soon
Tamara
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

pinkzebra is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I moved to Dubai from the UK about 4 weeks ago. I am enjoying it so far. I am 27 years old and moved out on my own.

I live in JBR and work in Bur Dubai for an Engineering company. A bit of a distance between JBR and Bur Dubai but the metro seems quite reliable!

I have been signing up to all expat forums and met some nice people but looking to meet more people and network a little more.

I enjoy meeting new people, sports (mainly running and hockey), shopping, listening to music and going to gigs/festivals.

Are many expat events organised on here?

Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.