Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Jan 17th 2012, 7:49 am
  #1756  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 25
Scottiebloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Cheers Blue Cat, here's hoping

DS
Scottiebloke is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:49 am
  #1757  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Diplomatic Quarter
Posts: 13
desertfox52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Good evening

I have arrived back in Riyadh after an absence of 20 years. i am living in the DQ area where my company has put me -seems as if I needed some security.
I an 59 years young and have been living overseas and working as an ex pat since 1976. I started out in Sharjah and have lived and worked in every GCC country.
Also had spells in India and Australia.
This place seems worse now than when I first came here, or maybe its that I am older !!!!
I do play squash at the Intercon 2 times a week, but there does not seem to be a great membership.
There are also facilities at DQ but the squash coach tells me the last time he played was 3 months ago, and gave a lesson 4 months ago!!
There does not seem to be any life in this DQ area at all.
desertfox52 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:29 pm
  #1758  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,553
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by desertfox52
Good evening

I have arrived back in Riyadh after an absence of 20 years. i am living in the DQ area where my company has put me -seems as if I needed some security.
I an 59 years young and have been living overseas and working as an ex pat since 1976. I started out in Sharjah and have lived and worked in every GCC country.
Also had spells in India and Australia.
This place seems worse now than when I first came here, or maybe its that I am older !!!!
I do play squash at the Intercon 2 times a week, but there does not seem to be a great membership.
There are also facilities at DQ but the squash coach tells me the last time he played was 3 months ago, and gave a lesson 4 months ago!!
There does not seem to be any life in this DQ area at all.
I lived in the DQ area back in 93 - the battle back then was to keep Saudis out of the area on Friday afternoons. Boring then too.

Overall though the Magic Kingdom is far more relaxed than it was in your previous time.
The Dean is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:47 pm
  #1759  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
worcesterhippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hi

I have been in Dubai a week - so still very much a new newbie.

I will not be working and am looking forward to practicing early retirement in a warmer climate than the UK. I'm based in Motorcity Dubai so if anyone out there knows their way around the area, it would be great to hear from you.

Regards
Worcesterhippo
worcesterhippo is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:03 am
  #1760  
Just Joined
 
aSimpleLass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
aSimpleLass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hey Folks,

I've been browsing around and blimey, you're all helpful and quite an entertaining bunch :-)

Well a little about me: straight school, college and then uni. Finished my postgrad (PhD in Computer Science) and have been looking for a job here (UK) to no avail (most reasons for rejection include being over-qualified and the companies didnt want to risk employing me assuming i'd go for a 'better' job given the opportunity and lack of experience even though i have 3 years experience teaching UG and PG) Presently, i'm working for a company doing admin work (for the past year).

So i'm pretty disheartened, took out a student loan to study in the hope i'd end up with a job here (so the debts are high) and now i've come to the conclusion i'll have to move, yups totally stressed out! I suppose i'm thinking if time carries on going by it will compromise my chances of ever getting into a chosen career path let alone pay off them debts.

Ideally i am seeking an academic position. Am single, and living with family here. If i do move, i will initially have someone come settle me in but i will be living alone (no matter how old i get i'll still be their baby girl lol *embarassed smiley*).

How i came about the ME section, is because i was offered a job in KSA, however my set back was i didnt have a male relative to travel with (fly there and back when needed). I am considering Abu Dubai (i've been there and its quite a pleasant place), Qatar or Kuwait (not been to either but i've browsed around job searches and seem to be some good opportunities).

I'm sure some of you guys have been in somewhat similiar positions to myself (career break/progression, debts, etc). So your views will be highly appreciated. I just want to be very careful in the decision i make on where to go, never no harm in being too careful aye.

Thanks for taking time out to read this :-)
aSimpleLass is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:35 am
  #1761  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Diplomatic Quarter
Posts: 13
desertfox52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hi Simple Las

I have read your jottings and will reply when i get a free moment and offer you some of my experience over the past 35 years.
Regards

Trev
desertfox52 is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:22 am
  #1762  
Just Joined
 
aSimpleLass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
aSimpleLass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hello Trev,

Thanks for replying. I'm in no rush so please take your time. I look forward to your pearls of wisdom :-)

Kind regards.
aSimpleLass is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:43 pm
  #1763  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,553
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by aSimpleLass
Hey Folks,

I've been browsing around and blimey, you're all helpful and quite an entertaining bunch :-)

Well a little about me: straight school, college and then uni. Finished my postgrad (PhD in Computer Science) and have been looking for a job here (UK) to no avail (most reasons for rejection include being over-qualified and the companies didnt want to risk employing me assuming i'd go for a 'better' job given the opportunity and lack of experience even though i have 3 years experience teaching UG and PG) Presently, i'm working for a company doing admin work (for the past year).

So i'm pretty disheartened, took out a student loan to study in the hope i'd end up with a job here (so the debts are high) and now i've come to the conclusion i'll have to move, yups totally stressed out! I suppose i'm thinking if time carries on going by it will compromise my chances of ever getting into a chosen career path let alone pay off them debts.

Ideally i am seeking an academic position. Am single, and living with family here. If i do move, i will initially have someone come settle me in but i will be living alone (no matter how old i get i'll still be their baby girl lol *embarassed smiley*).

How i came about the ME section, is because i was offered a job in KSA, however my set back was i didnt have a male relative to travel with (fly there and back when needed). I am considering Abu Dubai (i've been there and its quite a pleasant place), Qatar or Kuwait (not been to either but i've browsed around job searches and seem to be some good opportunities).

I'm sure some of you guys have been in somewhat similiar positions to myself (career break/progression, debts, etc). So your views will be highly appreciated. I just want to be very careful in the decision i make on where to go, never no harm in being too careful aye.

Thanks for taking time out to read this :-)
i didnt have a male relative to travel with

Sorry? Explain please.
The Dean is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:17 pm
  #1764  
Just Joined
 
aSimpleLass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
aSimpleLass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hey Dean,

Yups, I was told I'd need a male relative to fly me in and out the country. Transportation wouldn't be a problem as the uni would suggest a driver company. The job was offered in Madinah.

Kind regards.
aSimpleLass is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:16 pm
  #1765  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,887
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by aSimpleLass
Hey Dean,

Yups, I was told I'd need a male relative to fly me in and out the country. Transportation wouldn't be a problem as the uni would suggest a driver company. The job was offered in Madinah.

Kind regards.
I think that rule is only for the local ladies. You will be fine - assuming you can get a visa as a young, single, hot chick. (I'm reading between the lines here)
Millhouse is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2012, 12:19 am
  #1766  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 174
tayls123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

avoid KSA. head to dubai, abu dhabi, qatar or bahrain. you'll be suicidal here, god knows i am.
tayls123 is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:22 am
  #1767  
Just Joined
 
aSimpleLass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
aSimpleLass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hello,

I don't think I should be holding this convo in this section, isn't fair on the other folks who'd like to introduce themselves so I've just created a new thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746223. Please feel free to share your views on there. Millhouse and Tayls123, I've responded to you there :-)

Sorry for any inconvenience.
aSimpleLass is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:05 pm
  #1768  
Forum Regular
 
maudawia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: UAE
Posts: 243
maudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant future
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

keep this post up
maudawia is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2012, 1:10 pm
  #1769  
Just Joined
 
aSimpleLass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
aSimpleLass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Maudawia, would you please provide me with your insight too?
aSimpleLass is offline  
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:42 pm
  #1770  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 36
DrBert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newly arrived (three weeks ago) from the UK and currently working my way through the visa system for residency. 42 year old male with a partner back home - she can't come here with me due to family and business commitments

Used to living out of a suitcase with work, but this is the first time of actually living away. So far, Dubai seems ok, but yet to really start the process of long term rental and all the fun that involves..
DrBert is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.