Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

RBaybee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hi LisaMarie, Many Thanks... Pleased to meet you.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:15 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaMarie7711
Is it? Haha don't think so.

From the outskirts of Glasgow.
aye, where? Steps, Hamilton, Blantyre, Cucumbernauld, Gifnock, Newton Mearns, Barlinnie...
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

LisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the roughLisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the roughLisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the roughLisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the rough

You want my life story?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 5:49 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

You want my life story?
yes
Old Aug 5th 2011, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

You want my life story?
MORE,MORE,MORE! We're still not satisfied!!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

LisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the roughLisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the roughLisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the roughLisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the rough

Lol I'm from Motherwell, happy? :P
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

JeddahWoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

I am new here on the forum .. and quite new to the ME. I am based in Jeddah and working as a nurse but hail originally from Nottingham.

I am hoping to make friends and meet people and develop a good social life in Jeddah in time and who knows, maybe even meet someone special someday ....

So if any of you Jeddonians (Im sure that cant be a real word but it sounds good) fancy a chat with a young at heart middle aged nurse in Jeddah then do shout up .... or since we are online, drop me an email maybe lol ... or if you know of some event coming up locally, please do let me know .....

So thanks everyone ....

By the way .... do you ever aclimatise to the heat and the fact that a weekend is now a Thursday and Friday ? lol

Sharon
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:23 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE, not sure who we have in Jeddah, but there is anyone around I am sure they will find your post. You can always have some online friends
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JeddahWoman
Hi everyone

I am new here on the forum .. and quite new to the ME. I am based in Jeddah and working as a nurse but hail originally from Nottingham.

I am hoping to make friends and meet people and develop a good social life in Jeddah in time and who knows, maybe even meet someone special someday ....

So if any of you Jeddonians (Im sure that cant be a real word but it sounds good) fancy a chat with a young at heart middle aged nurse in Jeddah then do shout up .... or since we are online, drop me an email maybe lol ... or if you know of some event coming up locally, please do let me know .....

So thanks everyone ....
Sharon

Hi, you could try looking at the internations.org site, they often have gatherings and events going on in Jeddah...
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

JeddahWoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the response guys .... yeah will try internations web site .... had not heard of that one
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough

All the best, where are you staying?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:18 am
Just Joined

lynseyjayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Im Lynsey new to Abu Dhabi here looking after the kids whilst my husband works. A nurse by profession. Is there anywhere nice to live here that doesnt involve me auctioning one of the kids on ebay to pay for?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:00 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by lynseyjayne
Hi Im Lynsey new to Abu Dhabi here looking after the kids whilst my husband works. A nurse by profession. Is there anywhere nice to live here that doesnt involve me auctioning one of the kids on ebay to pay for?
Hello again, not sure about such things in AD, someone will know
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:58 am
Just Joined

-jacko- is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Mornoonevenight all,

Hello, i'm first time poster but have been reading up on questions and answers for the past couple of weeks. Many thanks for all the info you all provide on the ME forum, its been a real help to us.

We are a married couple (mid thirties, no kids) moving to Dubai (from Northampton, UK) in the next 3 weeks, my wife has been offered a great job in the JLT area and I hope to find work whilst out there in the first 3 months or so.

We will keep our house in the UK and rent it to my sister in law, (I am wary of having an easy 'fall back' option of the house as I know there will be some tough times out there (tho hopefully not too bad ) but we dont want to sell up just yet and in that regard we are both going to give it a real go and are both excited and positive of making such a move. As the saying goes 'if the wind does not blow, then take to the oars'

A few bits that we would really appreciate advice on are:

1). We are looking at renting a all in apart/hotel thingy for the first 3 or 6 months and have been recommended the Oaks Liwa Heights JLT as a good option, but need to keep costs in mind as we will initially be a one salary team... I think the rental on this is around £1450 (8 1/2 K dirhams?) any other options / suggestions for a one bedroomed apartment would be great. We have seen cheaper in the marina area online and the company has sent thru some links to these but they are really small and studios and I (or my wife) don't want to be that cramped up but appreciate there is a balance between space and cost. An apartment with a separate bedroom and bathroom with kitchen area would be ideal for these initial months.

2). I am a graphic designer here in the UK and would look to work as one in Dubai, I have 8 years exp, print based design mainly, magazines, brochures, leaflets, logos, branding etc etc. I have a pretty good portfolio of work and have researched and applied in some instances to relevant companies in the sector however I very rarely hear nothing back. Having read the forums this is probably because I'm in the UK and it's not worth it until I am in Dubai and can meet people face to face and have a local mobile to make the follow up calls etc. Does anyone know if this area of work is in demand in Dubai? to a westerner like myself? or will I be competing with really low wage job seekers? I understand the industry is not that highly paid in respect to others but to good western designers with a portfolio like myself would I struggle to earn what I do in the UK which is approx £28k? I have checked out Dubizzle and there does seem to be a few jobs worth applying for so I am fairly positive I will get something whilst there.

I would love to hear from anybody with exp in this field, i know from reading this forum and various posts that Spugsy does graphic design so please get in touch Spugsy or indeed anyone else if you can offer any insights into the job market for myself.

Lastly, and on a more leisurely based note, (!) I am also looking for any football teams in Dubai that I can join / hook up with..I play 11 a side and 7 a side back in the UK and it would be great to continue this in Dubai. I also play golf and would be really up for a game / few beers with anyone who fancies a round when I get there.

Thanks for reading, any replies or advice on avoiding the most common pitfalls associated with our move would be most welcomed.

Cheers....
Old Aug 18th 2011, 12:07 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I like your positive attitude. That'll make your time in Dubai much happier.

My husband owns a small design agency and many friends in are design, so I can tell you that it is a tough market, but I do hear of vacancies from time to time. You need to contact all the design companies (Dubai & AD) to let them know you'll be out here and available. For most salaries are not high, but decent enough.

Ask Spugsy about football. He plays regularly and there are numerous amateur teams.

Good luck.

NB We have a provisional BE night out arranged for 15th Sept, or thereabout, so that might be an opportunity to meet some folk. Not all posters are weirdos!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.