Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

tieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to all
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Well, having discovered this site yesterday, I thought I should read this thread before posting and introducing myself.

Obviously I didn't (though I tried... but as someone later pointed out, despite its title and OP, everyone ignores newbies and makes snide comments at existing posters). Here we go.

You are about to become my only imaginary friends for thousands of miles. I have a couple of real-life friends in Dubai that I can run to if necessary, but as of 1st October I am going to become Riyadhian. Is that a real word? If not, I claim copyright. So, talk to me, ignore me or don't. Either (any?) way, I'll be (t)here and, by the look of it, looking for stimulation.

Paul
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:34 am
Just Joined

Greying fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul

Welcome to the group- I say that as a new member myself!

I work in KSA but live in Bahrain having spent many years in different parts of the Middle East.

Riyadh is a challenge but there is a fairly strong British( and international community) there who organize some fun and interest for themselves.

Working in Saudi can be frustrating at times but there are strong challenges to get things right and in that I find my day's work appreciated. On my posting in areas such as this I have the opportunity to catch up with my reading but there are active social groups about- it is just a matter of joining in.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tieresias
Well, having discovered this site yesterday, I thought I should read this thread before posting and introducing myself.

Obviously I didn't (though I tried... but as someone later pointed out, despite its title and OP, everyone ignores newbies and makes snide comments at existing posters). Here we go.

You are about to become my only imaginary friends for thousands of miles. I have a couple of real-life friends in Dubai that I can run to if necessary, but as of 1st October I am going to become Riyadhian. Is that a real word? If not, I claim copyright. So, talk to me, ignore me or don't. Either (any?) way, I'll be (t)here and, by the look of it, looking for stimulation.

Paul
Stimulation, here, ha ha

welcome to the bored, I can assign you a bored buddy if you like

Gracie
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

tieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to all

Greying fox - thank you for your encouraging words.

I am actually looking forward to the challenges, well the work challenges at least. Not looking forward at all to the upheaval of putting my stuff here in storage and re-starting life from a single suitcase! And I think I will like living on a compound...

Gracie - yes, please do assign me a bored buddy, as long as it's not a boring buddy!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tieresias

Gracie - yes, please do assign me a bored buddy, as long as it's not a boring buddy!

Um that narrows the choice considerably.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
Um that narrows the choice considerably.
I'm bored.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I'm bored.
aren't we all doll...
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

MandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really nice

Hi Paul
Riyadh - mmm!! Well I suppose someone has to go!
I used to live in Abu Dhabi and I played American Softball. Every year we had two Middle East Softball tournaments in Dubai - drawing teams from all over the ME. We used to get an average of 21 teams come from Saudi Arabia - yes 21 Americans and Brits living in Saudi with nothing to do but play sport and get a place on a team that visited watering holes such as Dubai!!
Our team coach lived in Dubai before he came to Abu Dhabi and said he would think nothing of driving 200 miles for a team PRACTICE!!!! Let alone games!!
Am I painting a delightful picture
So - I should take a couple of crossword books with you or take up sport!!
Good luck
Mandy
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
aren't we all doll...
Originally Posted by MandyJV
Am I painting a delightful picture
So - I should take a couple of crossword books with you or take up sport!!
Good luck
Mandy
Utterly delightful Mandy! I am going to be so fit and healthy after a few years in KSA...
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Greying fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Tieresias

When are you going to give us the low down on your moniker?

Surely it was difficult to give the right answer to Hera when she was such a sour faced so and so.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Greying fox
Tieresias

When are you going to give us the low down on your moniker?

Surely it was difficult to give the right answer to Hera when she was such a sour faced so and so.
"If the parts of love's pleasure
Be divided in ten,
Thrice three go to women
Just one part for men.
"

Discuss!

I've seen different versions of the story. In some, Hera blinds Tieresias but in others, it was Zeus what did it. And then the one who didn't blind him gave him second sight.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Avarice is on a distinguished road

never did do this,

Im Mark, 22 years old from Glasgow in Scotland been an expat nomad in the middle east since i was little
Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, Dubai, Abu Dhabi

went to school in abu dhabi then moved back to scotland for uni, did one year then my band got singed so went off on tour, wasnt making enough money so i left (three months after i left they were signed to the label wed been chasing and theyre shit hot famous now, just my luck)

so cam back home (abu dhabi) moved in with the misses then we moved to dubai, then i moved back to abu dhabi (jobs in dubai were non existent) and now moving back to dubai...

i like to move a lot, makes it harder for them to catch me
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

HELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really nice
Smile Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hi, Mark,
I'm a newbie 'oldie'. Hope you have a great time - I will soon!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Tri Hard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi;

Just joined the site yesterday and felt I should introduce myself through this post. Been in Bahrain for 10 months now after a year in dubai. Struggling to get into a social scene here. Where do brits go, what's to do etc
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

HELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really nice

I hear that Dubai Marina offers plenty to do but never been yet. A group meet for quizzes too on Mondays every two weeks I think at Bondi Bindi. Welcome and good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.