Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Jul 12th 2010, 6:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Come on, someone has to comment on 'Egyptian wisdom'...
Old Jul 12th 2010, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Luxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really nice

I'm sorry...I should have explained ancient Egyptian Wisdom Literature....that refers to the type of lessons and advice similar to that of Machiavelli, but this was in Pharaonic times in Egypt.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 11:56 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luxorhouse
I'm sorry...I should have explained ancient Egyptian Wisdom Literature....that refers to the type of lessons and advice similar to that of Machiavelli, but this was in Pharaonic times in Egypt.
Sounds deep, can you give us some excerpts? Seriously.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Luxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really nice

But, of course...here is a link to the Precepts of Ptah-hotep (this is the source of the major part of my research):
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/ptahhotep.html
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:17 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luxorhouse
But, of course...here is a link to the Precepts of Ptah-hotep (this is the source of the major part of my research):
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/ptahhotep.html
Cool dude, TWO crocodiles.

Will read in depth--how was this written down, papyrus or tablets?

Spent 2 years living in Cairo, but weighed down with managing 20+ subcontractors tasked with building a steel plant, raising 3 kids and trying to keep my blood pressure vaguely under control, didn't have too much time for the kulture thing other than the occasional trip to somewhere interesting.

Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

I understand that situation perfectly!!

The Precepts of Ptah-hotep, as well as those of Kagemni, were found on what has been named the Prisse Papyrus.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Here is a link that includes a brief graphic of a passage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisse_Papyrus
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

haloola is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I'm moving to Al Ain at the end of September to start a new job at AWPR. I'm a botanist; previously worked in Oman (very briefly) and Yemen but mainly on Socotra. I'm from London (well, Middlesex) originally but have been based in Edinburgh for the last 5 years. Hmm....what else? I'm 32, single, no kids. I like music, trying to play the guitar, cinema, reading, learning Arabic, trying to keep fit. Having learnt that there are pub quizzes in Dubai am slightly regretful that I'll be living in Al Ain - or maybe they have them there too? A little bit daunted by all the things I have to do before I leave but am looking forward to new chapter in my life and, more importantly, escaping another Edinburgh winter. Nice to meet you all, albeit in cyberspace.

Last edited by haloola; Aug 8th 2010 at 12:39 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

yummybrummy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by haloola
Hi All,

I'm moving to Al Ain at the end of September to start a new job at AWPR. I'm a botanist; previously worked in Oman (very briefly) and Yemen but mainly on Socotra. I'm from London (well, Middlesex) originally but have been based in Edinburgh for the last 5 years. Hmm....what else? I'm 32, single, no kids. I like music, trying to play the guitar, cinema, reading, drinking, learning Arabic, trying to keep fit. Having learnt that there are pub quizzes in Dubai am slightly regretful that I'll be living in Al Ain - or maybe they have them there too? A little bit daunted by all the things I have to do before I leave but am looking forward to new chapter in my life and, more importantly, escaping another Edinburgh winter. Nice to meet you all, albeit in cyberspace.
Best of luck with your move and hope all goes well
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

I'm in Australia, husband in KSA. We've been doing the FIFO (fly in/fly out) rotation for 2 years and it's driving us nuts. Considering a relocation to Bahrain and looking for as much info as is available to either convince me to do it, or not!

So, ok, anyone in Bahrain want to "sell" me onto the idea of living there?

I'm intend bringing 3 of our children who are school age to give them an experience and me something of a social outlet through school connections, so to speak!

Last edited by Work Widow; Aug 10th 2010 at 5:18 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

aPerfectCircle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Work Widow
I'm in Australia, husband in KSA. We've been doing the FIFO (fly in/fly out) rotation for 2 years and it's driving us nuts. Considering a relocation to Bahrain and looking for as much info as is available to either convince me to do it, or not!

So, ok, anyone in Bahrain want to "sell" me onto the idea of living there?

I'm intend bringing 3 of our children who are school age to give them an experience and me something of a social outlet through school connections, so to speak!
Hey there, well I've been to Bahrain only once for a buisness matter and I stayed over for a month, I don't know if I can give u enough information though but I'll be happy to answer ur questions the best way i can.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Bahrain weekly. In a nutshell, it strikes me as a sandier, less developed UAE with cheaper petrol, a strange lack of public beaches, similar driving challenges and a slower pace of life.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:20 am
Hit 16's

My colleague has just moved there from Abu Dhabi to do the daily commute across the confounded bridge. He's single and not very happy there--because most clubs and facilities are family-orientated.

I stay there for a night or two every month or so, and it seems ok--slower pace than Abu Dhabi or Dubai.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Greying fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aPerfectCircle
Hey there, well I've been to Bahrain only once for a buisness matter and I stayed over for a month, I don't know if I can give u enough information though but I'll be happy to answer ur questions the best way i can.
In Bahrain, families seem happy and settled. Expat families live here for years- the average length of stay here is longer than anywhere else I have met in the Middle East. Others say the schools are fine and children have a good run at various activities. Facilities here are geared up for families.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Greying fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by haloola
Hi All,

I'm moving to Al Ain at the end of September to start a new job at AWPR. I'm a botanist; previously worked in Oman (very briefly) and Yemen but mainly on Socotra. I'm from London (well, Middlesex) originally but have been based in Edinburgh for the last 5 years. Hmm....what else? I'm 32, single, no kids. I like music, trying to play the guitar, cinema, reading, learning Arabic, trying to keep fit. Having learnt that there are pub quizzes in Dubai am slightly regretful that I'll be living in Al Ain - or maybe they have them there too? A little bit daunted by all the things I have to do before I leave but am looking forward to new chapter in my life and, more importantly, escaping another Edinburgh winter. Nice to meet you all, albeit in cyberspace.
As a veteran of Dubai pub quizzes over some years, I should warn you about Mysterious Malcolm who knows the answer to all pop music questions. He moves about between teams and locations. If you see a bloke with John Lennon sunglasses and flared trousers, watch out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.