Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Oct 9th 2019, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by ZeeJay
I am from London, a finance professional based in Doha and researching about how boring life can get in Doha brought me to this forum. I am very happy to have found people who share the same experience of boredom in Doha like I have experienced in the last 2 years I have spent here. Looking forward to read more about it to finally leave this place.
So to recap, you chose a career in accounts, a life in Doha and your hobby is researching boredom. LMFAO get out now!
Old Oct 9th 2019, 7:35 am
Just Joined

ZeeJay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by HiHo
So to recap, you chose a career in accounts, a life in Doha and your hobby is researching boredom. LMFAO get out now!
Life can’t get better than that, isn’t it? Just planning my exit giving me happiness.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Tezzamamma is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a teacher looking to work in UAE. Have two tentative job offers, one with government and one with a school in Al Ain.
Have done a lot of research but nothing beats experience.
We are planning to move with my two children (aged 10 and 12) and quite excited by the prospect of life in the sun.
We are an active and outgoing family.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

pw93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

I'm Paul, 26, currently living in London but moving to Muscat within the next couple of weeks (I'm told my visa will be ready next week - flying shortly after that). Love a pub quiz - I'm not stupid but wouldn't blame you for thinking I was after witnessing my performance in one however... My main contribution comes in the form of topically hilarious quiz team names.

Will be working at the ROH, love swimming, hiking, motorbikes (it's very painful putting my bike up for sale in the UK but I'm looking forward to getting one as soon as I can when I arrive in Oman...) and basically anything outdoors. No kids, no partner, so it's just little old me rocking up...

I visited for a month last year for work and am looking forward to being there full time - hit me up for an expensive drink!

Paul

Last edited by pw93; Feb 6th 2020 at 7:28 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 5:04 am
Just Joined

DVN999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome mate, we’ve been out here for just under a year now and loving it. Hopefully you’ll get here in time to enjoy the cooler months before the summer kicks in!

My wife has been pregnant most of the time we’ve been here, so as soon as she drops we will be getting out for all the drinks, so hopefully catch you at a quiz!
Old Feb 7th 2020, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Ahh well congrats for the nearly-there baby! Temperature wise tell me about it - I was there in August / September last year and it was quite the change even for somebody like me who likes it hot... :') Still managed to get out and see some of the sights though so I'm optimistic and looking forward to exploring when it's a bit cooler as you say.

Being a recent arrival in Muscat I might have many questions for you quite soon! Info on things like resident cards and driving license doesn't seem to be overly clear online
Old Feb 7th 2020, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Haha - online information is not the strong point here in Oman!

Happy to help where I can, just drop me a PM, assuming there is such a function on this forum. Most things here are done in person, on the day, which involves spending a bit of time waiting around, but also means it all gets done that day and no waiting around for post etc
Old Feb 8th 2020, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

There is such a function, but I've discovered the website restricts users from sending PM's until after they've posted 3 times on the forum! Assuming this counts as my third post so the function will shortly be enabled...

I think the main question at the minute is on Resident Cards and Driving Licenses - how long roughly did it take you to get your residency card sorted? I'm trying to work out how long I need to ask to stay with a friend...! And also with regard to driving license, it looks from the internet like foreign nationals who aren't a resident of other Gulf countries need to go through a full driving test again in Oman, was this the case for you? If so that's *very* dull. I'm a UK national with full driving license so I was really hoping it'd be possible to just do a little swapsie... Either way I'm going to rent a car for my first few weeks on my UK license so I can get around.

Cheers!

Old Feb 9th 2020, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Don’t worry about the driving thing; UK holders don’t need to do a test - just turn up at ROP traffic place, do a noddy eye test and then it’s just admin.

Same with resident card. Once you have your visa, head down to the ROP (different place!) and spend an indeterminate amount of time filling in random forms and waiting for signatures, photos etc... your employer will, most likely, assist with this one👍🏻
Old Feb 9th 2020, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Astounding :') Love an indeterminate amount of time spent in a government office! Can't be worse than the queue at the Russian visa office in London...

Cheers!
Old Apr 13th 2020, 10:37 am
Just Joined

bigjohnpotter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all! My name is John and I will be moving out to Riyadh in August to teach. Having grown up in the Middle East...Saudi, Jordan, Bahrain, I felt it was a good time for me to have a go myself. Kids are all grown up and to be honest...I’ve had enough of Blighty. Got loads of questions but I’ll get round to those in the coming months. I just wanted to introduce myself. And as for pub quizzes, I’m okay especially when it comes to maths, geography and sport! 😁
Old Jun 30th 2020, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Travel1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, dont want to share my real name yet, but, i am thinking of moving out to Riyadh later this year. working in the financial services industry after living in NY for a number of years. look forward to meeting the rest of the bunch while i'm there!
Old Feb 18th 2021, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Did anybody actually manage to move to the Middle East in the Last Year?
Old Mar 31st 2021, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Dee Le Bon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm just about to take a job in Saudi as an architect and looking to find out what life is like out there for expats. I can't seem to find out much about Saudi on here, but haven't worked out how to navigate it yet! I'm just moving over by myself and family are staying put for the moment. Thanks for any help. Dee
Old Apr 1st 2021, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Good luck with the move. A very alluring place Saudi Arabia and should certainly be interesting in your trade over the coming years. You headed for Riyadh or elsewhere?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.