British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Newbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/newbie-776524/)

dingod Nov 3rd 2012 11:17 am

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie on the site. I havent got any stupid questions just looking for a bit of banter. Love rugby, football and most interesting topics.
Just landed yesterday and checked into a holiday apartment for a month.
Just thought I would check and see if newbies get any responses on here.

kittycat1 Nov 3rd 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Newbie

Welcome to Disneyland dingod- what do you do and where do you come from?
So whats your first impressions?

dingod Nov 3rd 2012 1:00 pm

Cheers Kittycat1

Yeah seems like a cool place. Been here a couple of times before on short visits but thought I would take the plunge and get a job over here.
I am an Operations Manager and have come across from Watford UK. Originally from Aussie but been in the UK for past 6 years.

What about you?

kittycat1 Nov 3rd 2012 1:06 pm

oh erm ok me- i've been here for just over 3 years (wow where have those 3 years gone), from sunny Essex originally, then London (clapham) then here. I'm a designer so basically draw pretty pictures all day. I'm off to Sydney for xmas - where is oz are you from?

dingod Nov 3rd 2012 1:10 pm

Sounds like a cool job. From Perth the sunshine west. Its nice over there, have you been before or first time?
I used to work in Wimbledon for a couple of years.
Have you enjoyed your 3 years. Any dos or don'ts?

Blue Cat Nov 3rd 2012 1:15 pm

welcome :thumbsup:

dingod Nov 3rd 2012 1:17 pm

Cheers Bluecat

How long you been in Dubai for?

kittycat1 Nov 3rd 2012 1:18 pm

First time, but i am visiting a friend whose been there for 5 years and we have a camper van booked to go on tour :-) I'm very excited although terrified about the spiders! eek!

Erm I have a love hate relationship with Dubai, I've never settled, always had one foot out the door if im perfectly honest. But i've stuck it out for over 3 years, came here to sit out the recession and save a house deposit. I find my tolerance to dubai is about 6 weeks- then I have to leave, luckily I travel alot for work. I know alot of people love it here so don't let me be the voice of doom, its just not for me. Will see how much longer I can stick it out for.

Do get out and meet as many people as you can, don't be surprised if you find people are a bit flakey. If you feel homesick talk to someone- every one has been there and its good to get it off your chest.

Bahtatboy Nov 3rd 2012 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by dingod (Post 10364103)
Sounds like a cool job.

Wait till you find out what she designs ;)

Welcome to The Bored--I'm sure you'll enjoy Dubai:D

dingod Nov 3rd 2012 1:25 pm

Cheers for that (you have filled me with loads of confidence- only joking)
Yeah thats why I have just got out of the UK. Its in a pretty bad way over there at the minute and seems no real end in site. I read the other day that the average age of first time buyer in the UK is now 40 and average deposit £37K. Who has that kind of money just insane. I bought a shared ownership flat a year ago over there and currently rent it out. But it is tough over there.
I lived in Perth for 17years or so and only saw about 4 spiders so you will be fine. But I will tell you that once you have been there you probably wont want to come back as it is really appealing to most brits.

kittycat1 Nov 3rd 2012 1:29 pm

Like i said a lot of people love it- everyone has different experiences- I've learnt a lot and done some incredible things whilst Ive been here so I don't regret being here (for now), but i also feel like my life is on hold here, I'm sure you'll be fine though- expect the worst and it can only be better!

dingod Nov 3rd 2012 1:31 pm

Cheers Bhatatboy- You been here a while ?

I guess I better ask what is it that kittycat designs?

Millhouse Nov 3rd 2012 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by dingod (Post 10363968)
Hi Guys,

I am a newbie on the site. I havent got any stupid questions just looking for a bit of banter. Love rugby, football and most interesting topics.
Just landed yesterday and checked into a holiday apartment for a month.
Just thought I would check and see if newbies get any responses on here.

There are five basic pathways to living here: Chunk, Drunk, Hunk, Skunk or Monk.

Lots to do so no need to sink to being a Skunk or Monk, so either eat and drink yourself stupid, or get into sport to make friends.

dingod Nov 3rd 2012 1:37 pm

Haha cheers Millhouse -
Il go with the eat, drink and sports option.

You sound like you speak from experience- where are the good sports bars?

Millhouse Nov 3rd 2012 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by dingod (Post 10364153)
Haha cheers Millhouse -
Il go with the eat, drink and sports option.

You sound like you speak from experience- where are the good sports bars?

I'm a Monk ;)

There are loads of sports bars dotted around - I'm not much of a drinker so I don't really know them. What I do know from my drinking days is that the better bars are more generally the ones that when you walk in you think they are dives.

Oh, and Nasimi beach (during the week) for some chilled out beers, chugging the shisha and looking back at the city. Amazingly, a twat free place.