Newbie!

Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

DanielleKerr is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Newbie!

Hello!!

My boyfriend recently registered (DJEwen), he has a potential job offer for the Middle East and possible relocation to Dubai from Aberdeen, Scotland. The plan is for me to move over with him, so I thought I would register so I could ask some questions too.

I have read a little about relocating to Dubai, but I feel that personal opinions are better than anything I can find on Google!!

My main concern is will I be able to work? What are the laws behind me working? Is there only specific jobs available to me considering I am only English speaking (and only 20 years old)?

My second concern are the laws! Are they as extreme as the seem? And are they followed tightly? I read that you can't walk down the street holding hands?!...(Google!!)

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Danielle x
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:11 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie!

Originally Posted by DanielleKerr
Hello!!

My boyfriend recently registered (DJEwen), he has a potential job offer for the Middle East and possible relocation to Dubai from Aberdeen, Scotland. The plan is for me to move over with him, so I thought I would register so I could ask some questions too.

I have read a little about relocating to Dubai, but I feel that personal opinions are better than anything I can find on Google!!

My main concern is will I be able to work? What are the laws behind me working? Is there only specific jobs available to me considering I am only English speaking (and only 20 years old)?

My second concern are the laws! Are they as extreme as the seem? And are they followed tightly? I read that you can't walk down the street holding hands?!...(Google!!)

Thanks,

Danielle x
Hi Danielle,

Before you get flamed for not reading the masses of posts here (please do a quick search!) - a lot of these questions have been asked and answered / discussed before...

Briefly - you can work as a British female, only speaking English. It is illegal to live with your boyfriend (though many, many people do - you should be aware it is illegal), you need to be sponsored by work as your boyfriend can't be your sponsor, some jobs here are very low paid and some well paid.... have a look at what you are qualified to do - is it in demand?) etc etc....

Have a read then ask more....

We will help.... probably....

Cheers.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!!

Thanks,

Danielle x
Hi Danielle,

As a single 20-year-old female, there are basically two kinds of work you can do.......

......... I'd plump for the other one, if I were you...............
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:34 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Meet The Dean....The Sand Pit's resident Newbie Flamer....
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:19 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!!

Thanks,

Danielle x
Well, as the official Aberdonian Welcomer, may I firstly say "Aye, aye, fit like the day?"

As Auto says, you CAN work, but would have to get your employer to sponsor you as, since you are not married, your lad cannae... As far as what type of work, depends on your skill set. If you're looking for working the tills at our version of ASDA, unlikely. If, however, you have some skill set that will unlikely be found in the mass of cheap labour available to employers over here, then you may be in with a shot. If that is the case, polish the CV up (DON'T go to guys claiming there needs to be a 'special format' for CV's here!!) and start hunting for potential employers over here.

Laws.. The problem here is not how draconian some laws appear, but the disparate use of them. Legally, you can't live together but, as long as you keep a low profile, you can get away with it. You also will not be able to own a car or have a drink till you find an employer, as you cannot apply for a UAE drivers licence ro alcohol licence until you have a UAE visa, which you can't get until you are working and sponsored... You will also have to do a visa run every 6-8 weeks (IIRC) to freshen your visit visa which is, technically, no longer possible...

Basically, as far as laws go, no-one (not even the police) can give you a straight answer on whats legal and illegal...!!!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!!

Thanks,

Danielle x
Danielle, don't worry too much about coming here. Will you be able to live for a few months and not work? That will give you time to try and find a job.it will help if you tell us what you are qualified to do.

Nobody is going to arrest you for walking down the street or in the Mall holding hands with your partner.

Nobody is going to be bothered if you live together, hundreds do. You just introduce each other as your spouse and wear a ring.
I have some friends in that situation and the g/f does a visa run every 30 days with no problem.
Re the drinks license your B/f can apply for 1 when he gets here and gets his visa so again no problem.
Relax and enjoy the adventure.