British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   New Years resolutions - 6 months on (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/new-years-resolutions-6-months-859957/)

Millhouse Jun 11th 2015 8:18 am

New Years resolutions - 6 months on

So... We are just over half-way into the year. Who has kept their resolutions?

I didn't really make any this year, but I did commit to myself around a year ago to make some changes at work, and spend more time on me.

I've pretty much done the former (start the new job soon) and handed over lots of crap to others. I'm also (slowly) finding the balance between doing stuff for others and myself.

I've managed to put on about 4Kg this year, which I'm very happy about and I've also completed a couple of 10k runs which I never thought I would. I've managed to keep to the gym routine, and my resting heart rate is now around 50bpm (from 70bpm a short while back). Very happy so far.

How have the rest of you done?

Irishbeekeeper Jun 11th 2015 9:58 am

Re: New Years resolutions - 6 months on

:popcorn::beer::drinkingwine::drinkingpals: :drinkingbeer: :drinkwine::cake::heart::broken_heart:

there, that pretty much sums it up doesnt it for me!
althought the holy month is just round the corner and I am sure Ill manage 6 months of weight loss (projected) in 30 days. Ofcourse I will gain it all back within the next 60 days, but that is absolutely and completely besides the point :P

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 11th 2015 10:30 am

Can't remember if I set any. Or if I did, what they were.

Either which way, I've saved more money this year than I have in the previous 3-and-a-bit. Which is a really nice feeling. I've had a promotion, pay rise and all the frustrations that come with it and I'm going to be doing a new qualification later this year. So all in all, I've probably done alright if I had to make up what I said I'd do....oh and I'm about 7-8 Kgs down on January 1st.

New job? Anything exciting?
More 'me time' is that lube, box of tissues and a VPN?

TheShed Jun 11th 2015 11:34 am

My NYR was to lose plenty of weight by cycling even more than I did last year and to give up smoking

Ive already clocked up 5,000 kms on the bike this year although only lost a few KGs which is sad. As for the smoking, my wife bought me the history of the Tour de France for Xmas and I discovered that the TdF riders of years gone by (pre-doping) used to smoke before and after every ride so I canned the idea of quitting :-)

Millhouse Jun 11th 2015 11:42 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 11672488)
My NYR was to lose plenty of weight by cycling even more than I did last year and to give up smoking

Ive already clocked up 5,000 kms on the bike this year although only lost a few KGs which is sad. As for the smoking, my wife bought me the history of the Tour de France for Xmas and I discovered that the TdF riders of years gone by (pre-doping) used to smoke before and after every ride so I canned the idea of quitting :-)

I love a Mamil. Have you gone full on jelly ass pants and clip shoes?

I've often gone to the BAS track - watching the Mamils get off their bikes and walk to the coffee shop is like watching a hospital A&E department during a zombie attack.

Leannmean Jun 14th 2015 9:23 am

my New Year's resolution was to quit smoking ....it was an epic fail ....still trying though

silversilver Jun 14th 2015 10:54 am

Mine was not to frequent the German Donor Kebab shop in Barsha so frequently - epic epic fail. Their chicken duram doner meals still constitue at least one weekly dinner - delish! Defo played a part in the extra kilos I have gained.

Leannmean Jun 14th 2015 11:02 am

Originally Posted by silversilver (Post 11674700)
Mine was not to frequent thr German Donor Kebab shop in Barsha so frequently - epic epic fail. Their chicken duram doner meals still constitue at least one weekly dinner - delish Defo played a part in the extra kilos I have gained.

No one can cut down on Doner and Shawarma .... NO ONE :rofl: