New Year Resolutions

Old Jan 3rd 2018, 1:35 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Year Resolutions

Originally Posted by Millhouse
ah, fair enough. I also try and avoid spending anything here.

About a 1/3 of my office have been granted a exception from VAT via a company-wide deal with the MOF. Literally no idea how it works as I wasn't included in the deal - probably just for cars.
UN or some other NGA scheme?

I tried to buy something on Amazon today for 60quid and if I deliver direct to Dubai they are quoting 80 quid for delivery and “customs deposit”, previously same item was 15-18quid delivery. Seems Amazon are also scared of just how much people are going to get ripped.

My UK family and colleagues are going to start carrying some very large suitcases if they expect hospitality when here LOL

On a plus note, I brought a Subway sarnie today and the price was the same as pre-Xmas, they are absorbing the VAT it seems. (For now). Just having a beer so will be interested to see how much that bill is.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

No VAT in Qatar. Happy hour pint at the Marriott sports bar is 30 QAR.

But it’s still Qatar.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
No VAT in Qatar. Happy hour pint at the Marriott sports bar is 30 QAR.

But it’s still Qatar.
I’d rather pay the vat
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 3:40 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed

I tried to buy something on Amazon today for 60quid and if I deliver direct to Dubai they are quoting 80 quid for delivery and “customs deposit”, previously same item was 15-18quid delivery. Seems Amazon are also scared of just how much people are going to get ripped.

My UK family and colleagues are going to start carrying some very large suitcases if they expect hospitality when here LOL

On a plus note, I brought a Subway sarnie today and the price was the same as pre-Xmas, they are absorbing the VAT it seems. (For now). Just having a beer so will be interested to see how much that bill is.
Oh my god! I just had this awesome brilliant conspiracy theory!!
Remeber these guys werent too happy about Amazon coming in and buying Souq etc etc
My conspiracy theory IS that they brought in VAT just to make sure that Amazon is no longer competitive
Not that I am complaining, as far as I am concerned they can just Foxtrot Oscar the lot of them
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:50 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

And the beer was......same price as before, yay!

25 chips a pint and no VAT. Happy days.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed

I heard on the radio that VAT will be charged on anything you import into the country. Usually there is a threshold value above which VAT would be applied, but that has yet to be declared, if at all.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 3:21 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I usually commit to learning a new skill each year. Last year I learned how to pick a lock (you never know...), and photograph the Milky Way.

This year, after taking several deep breaths, I've committed to a) being able to have a proper conversation in Korean, and b) getting down to fighting-fit shape and condition to ride my retirement present to myself (regardless of whether or not retirement happens this year) (photo attached). Both are SMART. The latter may involve no booze till Easter...

Spoiler:
Old Feb 12th 2018, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
stop smoking
less alcohol consumption
spend more time with the family
win a car
how are we all getting on with our resolutions?

I'm still smoking, but still working on it.

less alcohol consumption got proper ****ed with an extended trip for work and friends being in town, but about to try a dry week and see if my body can cope.

spent loads of time with the family minus that trip away. surprised to have learned a couple new things a about my wife and loads of stuff I probably missed from the kids. now feel guilty for not trying harder to spend more time with them before.

no luck with winning a car, but have won 400dibs in national bonds this year.

hope you have all had more success than me!
Old Feb 13th 2018, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
No resolutions for me but I'm aiming to:

1. Quit work / retire - might as well put this one in even if it doesn't happen this year.....
2. Travel more....... but not to weddings. Done waaaay to many of them over the past 3 years.
3. Drink less, or at least not as often and not as heavily, so yeah, less overall.
4. Get back into shape / lose a bit of weight, see No. 3.
5. Possibly move somewhere else...... i'm not sure but I may be starting to get over Dubai. Not sure where to yet but I think I need a new adventure.
6. Find myself a GF.
1. Not quite yet but its getting closer....
2. Have been away already to Amsterdam. Off to Budapest in March, possibility of a UK trip in April, UK again in May and then a Cambodia trip late on in the year.
3. Smashing this. Managed to drop my consumption down significantly so far.
4. Not doing bad with this. Ran >80km in Jan and have lost 4Kg so far.
5. Same as No. 1.
6. Ahhhhh.... not yet.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
1. Keep the job
2. Cut down on procrastinating
3. Win the millionaire draw (duty free)
4. Save 50%+ of my salary (if I manage No1).
5. Bench the 50kg DBs and DL 250.

1. Check (so far)
2. Failing
3. Failing
4. Check
5. Rotator Cuff injuries and IT Band injuries are holding me back. In fact, does anyone know of a decent physio? I'm losing faith in the American Hospital.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 4:18 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
how are we all getting on with our resolutions?

I'm still smoking, but still working on it.

less alcohol consumption got proper ****ed with an extended trip for work and friends being in town, but about to try a dry week and see if my body can cope.

spent loads of time with the family minus that trip away. surprised to have learned a couple new things a about my wife and loads of stuff I probably missed from the kids. now feel guilty for not trying harder to spend more time with them before.

no luck with winning a car, but have won 400dibs in national bonds this year.

hope you have all had more success than me!
I didn't really make resolutions as such but did want to try and use the move to Dubai as a motivator for weight loss. So far it's a mixed bag. On one hand I've upped my activity levels significantly. I am walking a lot more and making en effort to get up to doing some form of exercise at least 5 days a week. On the other hand, the 2+ weeks in the hotel ruined my diet and I ate and drank far too much bad stuff. Now I'm starting to eat a bit better and am moving into a better flat at the weekend with a supermarket 5 mins walk away. Oh, and I had started to smoke again. Decided last night to kick them into touch again, which I have before. Just need to stay alert to my urges when I've had a beer (which I'm trying to limit to weekends).

Lot of trying in there. Like Yoda said.... Do or do not. There is no try.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 4:30 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried to make going to the gym a habit, without making it an official resolution as such. So far I am sort of keeping to it, just doing some cardio and very basic weights.

I do feel better when I go which sort of overcomes the magnetic power of the couch in the evenings. I miss the sports side of things here, like some off-roading or mountain biking for fun with the added health benefits minus the gym boredom.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Anyone made any? I'm not a big resolutions fan but I do have a few goals this year:

1- Finish the book, it's been 2/3 done for about 10 months
2- Grow the family
3- Survive the upcoming headcount cut at work
4- Start working on round 2 of my career and exiting the gulf over the next five years (assuming 3 works out)
5- Maintain my bodyweight and improve weightlifting form
6- Improving my posture
1 - almost done. Just putting through the proof reading issues.
2 - working on that, will know in about 5 days time
3 - check
4 - check. Potentially secured a teaching gig at AUD
5 - check. looking quite punchy right now, the switch from squats to deads has been great.
6 - so so. very easy to slip into old habits and the yoga sucks
Old Feb 13th 2018, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
Rotator Cuff injuries and IT Band injuries are holding me back. In fact, does anyone know of a decent physio? I'm losing faith in the American Hospital.
I've been going to Up and Running. Book a consultation with Stephan and then move to Michael. They are great.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

What book are you writing, Millhouse? I'm intrigued. Fiction or non-fiction?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.