British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   New UK State Pension rules... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/new-uk-state-pension-rules-690877/)

Autonomy Oct 25th 2010 3:51 am

New UK State Pension rules...

This could have implications... especially if you're maintaining your minimum payments...

So, are Expats to be excluded even if fully paid up?

"Instead of basing pensions on means testing, the new system would be based on residency, with British citizens or people who have been living in the country for a certain number of years qualifying."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...-means-testing

dontheturner Oct 25th 2010 7:38 am

Re: New UK State Pension rules...

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8940196)
This could have implications...-reform-simplified-end-means-testing"]http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/oct/25/state-pensions-reform-simplified-end-means-testing[/URL]

You know, Auto, I have thought, the way you are thinking, ever since I came here to live. They do not like us folks, picking it up, when out of the country. Why? I have asked myself this, over and over. can it only be jealousy? Going back, in Feb, if I don't fall off my perch before then. (I need the rises) - Oh! seen the promise for 2015 - if he survives? - but won't be worth much then, will it.

Don (80)

Meow Oct 25th 2010 8:12 am

There is a big difference between means testing and entitlement build up by way of contributions...
-

dontheturner Oct 25th 2010 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8940456)
There is a big difference between means testing and entitlement build up by way of contributions...
-

How right you are. - and the lawmakers, have mostly no experience of it. Don

AppleMac Oct 25th 2010 6:05 pm

"Instead of basing pensions on means testing, the new system would be based on residency, with British citizens or people who have been living in the country for a certain number of years qualifying."

You are still a citizen even if you are not resident,

dontheturner Oct 26th 2010 12:33 am

Originally Posted by AppleMac (Post 8941443)
You are still a citizen even if you are not resident,

Oh Yes - most Ex Pats are aware of what you say, but the fact remains, none of the politicians are bending over backwards, to assist those who do not reside there. Perhaps, being a new poster, you are not aware that no rises in pension, are currently paid to those who live outside of the UK/EEA.

For instance, I have a Civil Service Pension ( Not index Linked) and the State Pension, and am married to a Thai Lady, (and am now 80 years of age) but am so far behind, with having had no increases, that I am now considered to be below the poverty line. I would qualify for Pension Credit, and Council Tax Rebate, if I were in the UK, right now. Are you an Ex pat? or returning? Regards Don

Norm_uk Oct 26th 2010 8:40 am

More reasons for those who are able (especially us lot overseas) to save for their own pension.

The UK government is selective on who is a citizen/resident depending on if they are paying out or asking for tax :sneaky:

Meanwhile we still give millions to corrupt countries who do not share our values...charity doesn't begin at home anymore in Britain.

N.

dontheturner Oct 26th 2010 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 8942714)
More reasons for those who are able (especially us lot overseas) to save for their own pension.

The UK government is selective on who is a citizen/resident depending on if they are paying out or asking for tax :sneaky:

Meanwhile we still give millions to corrupt countries who do not share our values...charity doesn't begin at home anymore in Britain.

N.

Not an option for me! Sorry - I am 80, and on pensions. Don

bakedbean Oct 26th 2010 9:41 am

I've been trying to work that out? I am retired but not "UK retirement age" and fully paid up with contributions. I will be bloody annoyed if I've forked out for all those contributions and don't see anything back :frown:

Commiserations Don, I've just moved from Thailand and the Thai Baht is getting stronger and stronger - not so good for expats.

dontheturner Oct 26th 2010 10:41 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 8942815)
I've been trying to work that out? I am retired but not "UK retirement age" and fully paid up with contributions. I will be bloody annoyed if I've forked out for all those contributions and don't see anything back :frown:

Commiserations Don, I've just moved from Thailand and the Thai Baht is getting stronger and stronger - not so good for expats.

Yes - I don't think people realise, that Thailand, is the worlds largest Rice exporter, and the UK pound is in such a bad way, my income has dropped from 73,000 bahts down to it's lowest yet - this month 42,000 Bahts - and is so strong. So mr Cameron, won't like it, but I am entitled to Pension credit, and therefore Council tax rebate. - and anything else i can latch on to! Any ideas??? I don't think the average Thai, is affected ever, by prices moving, because they don't, and really haven't since I came here. Selling a large detached bungalow, is not easy though, as they are not ''Capital minded!'' Thanks Don .

bakedbean Oct 27th 2010 5:42 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 8942897)
So mr Cameron, won't like it, but I am entitled to Pension credit, and therefore Council tax rebate. - and anything else i can latch on to! Any ideas???

Heh heh... good for you Don :thumbsup: