Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:12 am
  #1  
Powered by cows
Thread Starter
 
Autonomy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: currently Dubai, ex UK
Posts: 4,581
Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

The article "Open Minds - 'Are you troubled by call to prayer volumes?'" seems to have upset some people...

On twitter #ban7daysuae

What do you think? Earplugs or ask them to turn it down?

Me - I like hearing the Athan but then again I've never lived right next door either.
Autonomy is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:45 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Patsy Stoned's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,403
Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
The article "Open Minds - 'Are you troubled by call to prayer volumes?'" seems to have upset some people...

On twitter #ban7daysuae

What do you think? Earplugs or ask them to turn it down?

Me - I like hearing the Athan but then again I've never lived right next door either.
I have a mosque 3 doors down from me, I don't mind at all, my early morning wake up call :-)
Patsy Stoned is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:59 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Boomhauer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,319
Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

After a while it becomes just another ambient sound, like traffic.
Boomhauer is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:04 am
  #4  
Kix
Nothing doin' here
 
Kix's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,508
Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

Surely education is better than eradication?

However, as we live in an uneducated country that still lives in the dark ages, it's hardly surprising.

I wonder what the koran says about loudspeakers, surely they're harem?
Kix is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 12:20 pm
  #5  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,705
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

The ridiculous thing is the the article is very soft and not complaining about the athan. As usual a bunch of reactionary idiots have jumped to conclusions and it seems to have died out quite quickly. That vile @binthanya chap seems to be involved, as per usual.

I live not far from two mosques and one of them is vile. The call is as far from melodic as you can get and from time to time they ratchet up the first call to 11. I understand the complaints come from the local Emiratis as it's sometimes to make you leap put of bed with fright!

My vote would be for some sort of Imam Idol so we only get melodic sounds, not the off key wailing and coughs of the chap near us.


Here's the article if anyone hasn't seen it. Ironically the section is entitled 'Open Minds' http://www.7daysindubai.com/Open-Min...ail/story.html
Meow is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 12:28 pm
  #6  
You read these things?
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,261
auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
The ridiculous thing is the the article is very soft and not complaining about the athan. As usual a bunch of reactionary idiots have jumped to conclusions and it seems to have died out quite quickly. That vile @binthanya chap seems to be involved, as per usual.

I live not far from two mosques and one of them is vile. The call is as far from melodic as you can get and from time to time they ratchet up the first call to 11. I understand the complaints come from the local Emiratis as it's sometimes to make you leap put of bed with fright!

My vote would be for some sort of Imam Idol so we only get melodic sounds, not the off key wailing and coughs of the chap near us.


Here's the article if anyone hasn't seen it. Ironically the section is entitled 'Open Minds' http://www.7daysindubai.com/Open-Min...ail/story.html
Yup. Thankfully it seems to have died out.

Had to bite my lip this morning, as I was more than a little tempted to relate it to the UK where mosques (and churches/temples etc) aren't allowed to do anything (including call to prayer) before 7am otherwise it's defined as noise pollution and anti-social behaviour.

Sadly, I imagine that would have earned me a one way ticket back to a country with a brain.
auzdafluff is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 12:31 pm
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
kittycat1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,965
kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

Im not even sure where the nearest mosque is to me- guess there is one in the greens but I havent heard the dingaling to prayer ever from where i live.

When i was last home I noticed the local church bells going for a wedding and thought how lovely they sounded and went all nostalgic- I wonder if the call to prayer has the same effect on locals?
kittycat1 is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 12:53 pm
  #8  
Powered by cows
Thread Starter
 
Autonomy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: currently Dubai, ex UK
Posts: 4,581
Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

Originally Posted by auzdafluff View Post
Yup. Thankfully it seems to have died out.

Had to bite my lip this morning, as I was more than a little tempted to relate it to the UK where mosques (and churches/temples etc) aren't allowed to do anything (including call to prayer) before 7am otherwise it's defined as noise pollution and anti-social behaviour.

Sadly, I imagine that would have earned me a one way ticket back to a country with a brain.
has it mutated into this other hastag #oneuae - what's that one all about...
Autonomy is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:06 pm
  #9  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,705
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
has it mutated into this other hastag #oneuae - what's that one all about...

That's the opposite of the divisive hastags. Calling for unity and tolerance as an antidote to the hatred.
Meow is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:21 pm
  #10  
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,107
Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

Part of the difficulty with having the dialogue is expats living in our little bubble as usual and not being able to articulate a valid complaint.

I bet most people complaining about the call/Adhan are not actually troubled by the call but by the prayer itself. The call volume is regulated and usually performed by a trained Muezzin (or a recording of the same) and is brief and often pleasant and melodic. The prayer, on the other hand, is led by an Imam who is usually not trained in voice projection or articulation, particularly when they get near a microphone I guess, as the 7Days article mentions. The Fajr (dawn) prayer goes on typically for about 20 minutes with a two minute break half-way (just enough time to start drifting back to sleep before being woken up again). Abu Dhabi, and other emirates, prohibit the broadcast of the prayer as this has no basis in Islamic tradition. Muslims are supposed to get to the mosque if they can anyway, not lie in bed listening to the prayer.

I think there is a real and valid argument against being subjected to loud prayer broadcasts as, fundamentally, it is a violation of the right to freedom of religion and the UAE is a signatory to the UN human rights charter. But we seem to get into this endless argument about the Adhan which does cause the usual suspects to get their back up immediately and shut down the conversation. If we knew what we were talking about then we might be able to have a discussion. In particular the mosques built in freehold developments long after most of the housing was built ought to be subject to normal rules of good neighbourliness which they frequently ignore (applies also to parking at Friday prayer). Most of the mosque users do not live in the vicinity of the mosques anyway.

The Dubai Ministry of Awghaf and Islamic Affairs will listen politely to you if you call to complain about loud prayers (just be sure to confirm you do not mean the Adhan). I think they then actually follow up with the mosques. I know I was being driven demented by hysterically loud and lengthy Laylat al Qadr prayers in the middle of the night during the last ten (holiest) nights of Ramadan this year. After I left a message on the their suggestion line the prayers quietened down dramatically - I can't be sure it was due to me but I'll certainly be reporting any loud prayers to them again.

Their number is 04 608 7777. You get the usual options to select English and Arabic and then a menu. Sometimes you get a person and while they may not be the model of efficiency (you get passed around a bit) they have always been very pleasant and helpful when I have called (of course you need to be respectful also). I even found it quite charming the way they addressed me as "My Bruzzer". You may get a message line but it's worth leaving a message - see above. So know exactly what you are going to say and be sure you know the actual exact name of your local mosque (the location is not enough). This link, for example, lists the names of mosques in a number of freehold areas:

http://www.iacad.gov.ae/venglish/det...g=0&newsType=4

Last edited by Miss Anne Thrope; Sep 8th 2012 at 1:31 pm.
Miss Anne Thrope is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:31 pm
  #11  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,705
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

I was referring to the call to prayer. That definitely varies in volume from one of the mosques near us and there is no need for it to be turned up to the maximum at 4.30am (or whatever the particular time is that day). The caller is not always the same either, with one being particularly awful. Many a time we've been tempted to walk over and offer him a Frisherman's Friend...

Last edited by Meow; Sep 8th 2012 at 1:33 pm.
Meow is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:38 pm
  #12  
You read these things?
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,261
auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope View Post
Part of the difficulty with having the dialogue is expats living in our little bubble as usual and not being able to articulate a valid complaint.

I bet most people complaining about the call/Adhan are not actually troubled by the call but by the prayer itself. The call volume is regulated and usually performed by a trained Muezzin (or a recording of the same) and is brief and often pleasant and melodic. The prayer, on the other hand, is led by an Imam who is usually not trained in voice projection or articulation, particularly when they get near a microphone I guess, as the 7Days article mentions. The Fajr (dawn) prayer goes on typically for about 20 minutes with a two minute break half-way (just enough time to start drifting back to sleep before being woken up again). Abu Dhabi, and other emirates, prohibit the broadcast of the prayer as this has no basis in Islamic tradition. Muslims are supposed to get to the mosque if they can anyway, not lie in bed listening to the prayer.

I think there is a real and valid argument against being subjected to loud prayer broadcasts as, fundamentally, it is a violation of the right to freedom of religion and the UAE is a signatory to the UN human rights charter. But we seem to get into this endless argument about the Adhan which does cause the usual suspects to get their back up immediately and shut down the conversation. If we knew what we were talking about then we might be able to have a discussion. In particular the mosques built in freehold developments long after most of the housing was built ought to be subject to normal rules of good neighbourliness which they frequently ignore (applies also to parking at Friday prayer). Most of the mosque users do not live in the vicinity of the mosques anyway.

The Dubai Ministry of Awghaf and Islamic Affairs will listen politely to you if you call to complain about loud prayers (just be sure to confirm you do not mean the Adhan). I think they then actually follow up with the mosques. I know I was being driven demented by hysterically loud and lengthy Laylat al Qadr prayers in the middle of the night during the last ten (holiest) nights of Ramadan this year. After I left a message on the their suggestion line the prayers quietened down dramatically - I can't be sure it was due to me but I'll certainly be reporting any loud prayers to them again.

Their number is 04 608 7777. You get the usual options to select English and Arabic and then a menu. Sometimes you get a person and while they may not be the model of efficiency (you get passed around a bit) they have always been very pleasant and helpful when I have called (of course you need to be respectful also). I even found it quite charming the way they addressed me as "My Bruzzer". You may get a message line but it's worth leaving a message - see above. So know exactly what you are going to say and be sure you know the actual exact name of your local mosque (the location is not enough). This link, for example, lists the names of mosques in a number of freehold areas:

http://www.iacad.gov.ae/venglish/det...g=0&newsType=4
I'll second that. When we (I know of at least 15 other people from my building alone that were complaining) were having a problem with the volume of prayer at the JLT mosque, we rang.

It would go down, then back up, down (after another visit from IACAD), and so on for about another 4/5 times. Eventually, the Imam was 'promoted' to a rural mosque from what I understand.
auzdafluff is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:44 pm
  #13  
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,107
Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
I was referring to the call to prayer. That definitely varies in volume from one of the mosques near us and there is no need for it to be turned up to the maximum at 4.30am (or whatever the particular time is that day). The caller is not always the same either, with one being particularly awful. Many a time we've been tempted to walk over and offer him a Frisherman's Friend...
I think you're on tougher ground there. There is a clear tradition and purpose for the call and it is intended to wake people up to get them to prayer. Some will argue that an alarm clock is simply not an adequate replacement as there is a vital element of ritual in responding to the call. And it is fairly brief after all...
Miss Anne Thrope is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:46 pm
  #14  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,705
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope View Post
I think you're on tougher ground there. There is a clear tradition and purpose for the call and it is intended to wake people up to get them to prayer. Some will argue that an alarm clock is simply not an adequate replacement as there is a vital element of ritual in responding to the call. And it is fairly brief after all...

See my earlier posts. It is the locals who are doing the complaining...
Meow is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 2:34 pm
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
OleJanx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Windscale....
Posts: 5,712
OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New twitter "campaign" to ban 7Days newspaper

" the U.A.E. is a signatory to the U.N Human Rights charter..."!
OleJanx is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.